Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkaymorgan

So - here is a tough one for you!

11 years ago

We have a country home, and the front of the house is rather boring. The enclosed porch was an add-on before I lived here. I find the steps and concrete landing to be way small and unattractive. I am trying to think of a creative redesign that would either give us a more roomy area for a couple of rockers, or something that would eliminate the steps. I really didn't want to do a wood front deck area, but I am beginning to think it might be my only option. What would you do?

Comments (17)

• 11 years ago

Here is the back of the house. We just did this deck last summer. It wraps around on one side where we added a hot tub. We are planning to do a 4-6 foot wood overhang on it in the spring to add some interest and element protection.

Is there some trick to getting photos to post in the correct orientation???

• 11 years ago

Trying photo again

• 11 years ago

I found 4 cape cod homes{{gwi:807}}, this is what I would do, extend the porch all across the front, these homes also have a center door, the steps look really nice going up the front, however one has them is off the side, just an idea for you to kick around. They all are adorable... and a nice porch to furnish. Good Luck!

This post was edited by susieq07 on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 18:12

• 11 years ago

I love them all Susie! I need to figure out how to do he one in the first photo - really cute! Thanks,

• 11 years ago

I wasn't sure how extensive a facelift you were planning. Here is a little simpler one, but looks like you could have your rockers.

• 11 years ago

I like the last post by olychick best....how charming!

• 11 years ago

The home I grew up in looks so similar to yours in the front. I also like the idea of moving the entry & steps to the center & taking a porch all the way across. After my Mom died, my Dad remarried, and after he died, my step-mom's mother came to live with her in my childhood home, where she & my Dad had stayed after they married.

Her Mom needed a wheelchair access so, they built a ramp up to the porch, but from the side, not the front. They then extended that porch area from the ramp over to the front door, so that a couple of chairs & small table could be used out there. It worked great for a disabled access, but I would love the idea of moving the entrance & walkway to the center of the house, with a long porch extending across.

If you do this, could you show after pics?? Thanks!

• 11 years ago

I got butterflies in my stomach when I looked at pic #1, we have a front porch that spans the front of our house but nothing as dreamy as that porch. Please post pics as you go through this, that porch will look awesome on your house. :)

• 11 years ago

My biggest concern is that there is no overhang on the front to extend the columns to.

• 11 years ago

The one I posted looks as if it's a trellis and not a roof. I have a laptop, so it's hard to see, but that's why I posted it...no overhang needed.

• 11 years ago

Un-enclose the original porch. Enclosed porches are hot and uncomfortable. Why add a porch in front of a porch?

• 11 years ago

Oly,, I thought it looked like a pergola - I might be able to do that.

The enclosed porch is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but I had thought I might want to eventually turn it into an office area - so I don't think I would want to remove it completely, Marcola.

• 11 years ago

I agree with Marcolo. I don't think you could put anything in front of the shed roof over the enclosed porch to make it look good. Is the original exterior house wall still there?

• 11 years ago

You need to speak to a contractor get estimates, even if you do not accept, their job propossal, they can do anything, make awesome changes, and add a new extended roof tieing into the existing one. that other house you notice is extended on one side a room no doubt, the ones I posted are like yours straight across the entire front. If the contractor is worth his salt, he can show you a mock up on his laptop.

• 11 years ago

Here is an idea for you. I wish I had a better pic of this porch.

• 11 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• 11 years ago

{{!gwi}}