Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewel1_gw

Girl's Inspiration Bedroom . Needed

jewel1
15 years ago

You all have wonderful ideas. I am hoping you can help me find an inspiration room for my me to copy. My daughter has been begging me for a room makeover. I would like to keep the paint color, as it was a nightmare to paint that room. Mulitple coats. My daughter is 8. She is girly, but not too frilly. I like the comforter, but I don't think she does. We thought about lime gree or mint green stripes on one wall. I have the paint already. Any inspriation rooms I would love to see. I even thought about black. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daughter's Bedroom

Comments (15)

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

I think you could stripe the wall at foot of bed. Use the pink paint as a small strip and paint different width stripes of green. Then you could use some of the same green or shades of green to add accents to the room. I think it needs a dark bed frame or lighter furniture to bring it together. The bed covers scream out shabby chic. It would hide accidents the dd has with normal play in the room. I think you could take down the material at the top of the bed. Use a long rod or another small one and use the same fabric as the windows but then pull the middle curtains at the wall portion back to sides of the bed. Would be a bigger impact. Might use some soft green beads on the chandlier to pick up green wall. If the green looks too bright for the room you might do a thinned out white paint (like a milk paint) to whitewash the green...you could do the same thing over the pink to pull it all together

But first and formost, let her favorite theme dictate the little things you bring into the room. Then as she grows you can change that out and room will be ok for her still.

• ideamom
    15 years ago

I have done both of my daughter's bedroom redo's this past year. I usually start by having them pic out pics of rooms they like and then see what the theme or colors that they keep choosing. Then once you have an idea of what they like you can get an idea of what needs to be done. Perhaps she would want more fun colors in her room. If that is the case maybe you could get a polka dot comforter and add large polka dots to her walls in fun colors. Just an idea. Let us know what she & you decide. Have fun!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Girls room inspiration photos -- hope these help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn girls rooms

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's some bedding examples from Target.com -- might help to find a comforter first -- and then use it as your inspiration piece!

Here is a link that might be useful: Target.com -- bedding examples

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's a bedding set from Macy's -- just for ideas too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's bedding

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Get a few catalogs as well so she can look threw them and choise what she likes. If she marks all the ones she likes you will probly see a theme develop.I like the idea of keeping the walls as is but painting the furnature black and add green as a accent color. in the curtains,bedding and chair covers. That way she could grow with the room.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

You can always starch fabric on the wall instead of paint. Easy way to see what she loves and change when ever. Full panels of cotton, or cutouts, or stripes or angles, have fun, it's clean, easy to do or change, and cost very little.

• User
    15 years ago

I wish I could remember who it was that did an unbelievably fantastic girl's room (was it for triplets??) using turquoises, lime green etc. Hopefully someone will know what i am talking about and post the link.
    Talk about inspirational!!

• mhillgal
    15 years ago

Sheilaaus,

Were you thinking of zipdee's room. Her room is beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: zipdee's room

• les917
    15 years ago

If you want to leave the wall color, then I would look for other places in the room to bring in different colors.

Would you consider painting the bed a different color? I think it would be great in black, and then do black and white toile for the bedding, adding pink accents. I would get rid of the netting over the bed - it is pretty much lost against the walls anyway.

Or, take a look at these sets from JCP:

Modern:
    zebra stripe set

More traditional:

pepper pink set

Also, have you considered re-arranging the space? I would try putting the bed on the plain wall where the dresser is now. Keep the nightstands you have, but put them closer to the bed where they belong. Add black ribbon (or maribou!) trim to the lamps.

Then put the dresser on the wall between the windows. Angle the tall chest in the corner between the windows. Add another lamp on the dresser for that end of the room. Put the keyboard under the (Monet?) painting on the wall. You could keep the same window treatments, perhaps adding tiebacks if you wanted that look for a change, perhaps make them by braiding black and white patterned ribbon with plain black and plain pink ribbons.

A fluffy white rug at the dresser end of the room, some art on the walls (posters or prints are fine, or frame some of her artwork).

Or, if you prefer the idea of pink and green, consider painting the bed in green and check out some of the other choices at JCP.

I agree - Zipdee's room for her girls is amazing!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Gosh, did everyone here forget we have a Gallery?

Jewel, your little one is too old for the toddler bedrooms thread, so try the older kids' bedrooms thread. Or look at the regular bedroom thread. Or if you like the style, try the Cottage Decor thread for lots of cute ideas. If they're not on page one, they may have drifted to page two.

Here's a link to the Gallery... I think you'll find a few hundred pictures and something is bound to inspire you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Gallery

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

My daughter's walls are also pink, and she's also almost 8 years old. Her room had been very Pottery-Barn-kids' style with lots of pink and pale green. We did her room over a few months ago. I got the Pepper Pink quilt and sham that Les linked to above. It's really cute. Got a black iron headboard, and had someone make black & white gingham valances for the windows. Also, I found a large wall decal of a black chandelier and hung that on the wall over her bed. Found a desk on CL and painted it black, and hung a black-framed bulletin board over the desk. I felt like the addition of black made the pink less babyish and my daughter loves her room. I don't have any pics at the moment but I could post one later if you'd like to see.

• jewel1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the posts, pics and links. My dd and I had a ball looking at all the picutres. Sueb20, I would love to see a pic of the room. les917, I am moving the funiture tomorrow to try it out. Funny thing, I was telling my mom last night that I should try moving the furniture around. Zipdees room is fantastic. Twomonths, I agree about the furniture. I think the bureau and chest is too old for her. I love the shabby chic/cottage look, but I think my daughter likes something else. She really liked the pepper pink set. If I move the bed to other wall, should I try the strips on that wall or on the wall where the bed is now? I am taking down the monet. Again too old for her. She wants cutains that you can't see through. I like sheers with a cornice at top. I could add pull down shades. I am definitly going to add something to the shades on the lights or maybe a new shade all togehter. I have been keeping my eye on CL for finds that I can paint. I don't know if I am daring enough to paint the bed. God that thing cost quite a bit. Granted, I bought it years ago. Thanks again for the wonderful ideas. I'll post pics when I am done with her room.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Jewell, did you look at the gallery pics?

• jewel1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I found many ideas. I can't wait to start. Thanks for letting me know about the gallery. I forgot about it. My dh is not thrilled I am spending my Friday night on this site. I am soooo hooked.