Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie92_gw

sisal or seagrass rug in formal dining room?

julie92
13 years ago

I have very dark, heavy Pulaski dining room furniture which is only about 10 yrs old. I would like to make it less formal & cozy. Is it OK to use sisal or seagrass rugs with formal furniture? Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Comments (14)

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Absolutely. It will really help to lighten up your room. I'd use seagrass rather than sisal in a dining room, if you use it at all. I usually like the look of sisal more than seagrass, but it's very unforgiving with stains, while seagrass just seems to absorb it.
    Dee

• lorriekay
    13 years ago

It's very *in* now and even though some folks don't follow the trends.. the natural woven rugs are definitely the thing now. Or at least one of the things now LOL

I think it will work perfectly for what you are trying to achieve.

I have been considering one under my dining table as well.

Pics please once you get it in place ~ I'd love to see it

Loretta

• julie92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have seen the look in several home decorating magazines, but an not really sure how to put it together. The walls are BM Baby Turtle with white crown moulding & columns. I already have a striped silk fabric(gold, green, & rust) for panels that my SIL is working on. I had a large persian wool run under that table, but it was too dark, so I moved it to my family room. Just had the thought of the seagrass or sisal & it would be much cheaper than buying another wool rug. I live in a traditional brick home in the South. I want to the DR to be usable, but not comfortable & stuffy. Anyone with pictures?

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my DR with a sisal rug, from IKEA. My furniture is Tell City maple, inherited from my mother. Definitely a traditional look, but I like the natural rug a lot with it. Good luck in your room!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Another vote to give the rug a try in your room -- sounds wonderful! Please post photos -- and let us see the results! :)

• awm03
    13 years ago

My seagrass rug isn't stain absorbent at all. It seems stain repellent to me. It's a lot more durable than I thought it would be. After two years, no signs of wear from the chairs. Best $250 I ever spent.

One of these days I'll get my curtains up :(

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

awm:
    I kind of misspoke. I actually meant stain resistant. When I said absorb, I meant disappear. :) I love seagrass.
    Dee

• julie92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where is the best place to purchase seagrass rugs?

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

runninginplace posted a great source recently; see link. I haven't ordered from them, but may consider for a custom octagon. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seagrass/Sisal post

• awm03
    13 years ago

Slightly better prices here:
    Natural Area Rugs.com

Free shipping for purchases over $75. I ordered from them. Shipping was fast, quality is great.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

I'm glad you posted awm03! It was your post I remembered recently but too hasitly linked the other. Haven't compared prices yet, but I remember liking the Sorrento. Based on this post, may have to switch to sisal as this will get constant use in breakfast nook.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Ditto naturalarearugs.com.
    I've bought 3 rugs there- all great quality & they always have sales.
    Can't wait to see what you decide!

• julie92
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will search for a rug over the next few days as the south is supposed to be crippled with snow/ice. Right now we are working on an attic bath for my 15 yr old DD.