Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodymom

sisal v.s. seagrass rugs

homebodymom
13 years ago

Hoping to order a rug this week for LR. I LOVE the look of sisal or seagrass. There seems to be a significant difference in price, but not in looks. Any info anyone can share- wearability (that is a word, right?), rough texture, odor, staining?

TIA!

Paula

Comments (14)

• pps7
    13 years ago

I'm not a big fan of either for the living room. We are a barefoot household and I find both kind of rough. I do love the look and I have seagrass in the dining room. Braided jute is much softer/cozier. Jute is cheap too.

• ruthie_s
    13 years ago

homebody- we have the PB sisal rugs in fam room and entryway over wood. they vacuum easily and look great. In the beginning the texture felt a little rough on the feet ( but in a good way)Not sure if we are just used to it... but the texture seems to have softened.
    Cote de texas' blog was interesting on the differences movin-on, thanks!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I have PB sisal in family room and entryways also. They always look great with the use were giving them which is a lot. They vacuum well and if I have a spot it spot cleans great. I have a seagrass in one area of my kitchen near fridge to protect the hardwood. We seem to drop things out of fridge from time to time and I didn't want to ding the wood floor. The seagrass is softer but I like the look of the sisal better. Seagrass has a more worn look. PB sisals have a different smell to them when they arrive. Ours has faded completely. So if you ordered one it does go away.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

I had one in my patio couldnt stand the roughness on feet and they shed alot.

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

I have both-sisal in DR and foyer (from IKEA) and seagrass in the hallway. As others have said, there isn't a tremendous difference in the way they look, feel or wear.

I've also been extremely pleased with these rugs. They are most definitely cost effective and as noted, I've got one in my dining room. It has had spills of both food and liquid and no damage.

I've linked to a great online store below. I got my hallway rug as a remnant from them--they will cut and bind remnants to any size you like within the measurements of the piece. Free shipping too and you can also customize a rug if you need to at a decent price. You might want to check them out unless you already have a rug picked out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Fiber Rug Store

• homebodymom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing info,suggestions, and experiences! Movin on- that link was just what I needed! Amazing pics, and infprmation. I did order my rug this morning after checking out that link. Running in place- You will happy to hear that I ordered it from the company you recommended since you were one of a few here on GW that highly recommended them. Can't wait until it gets here!!!
    Thanks again to all!

• runninginplace
    13 years ago

Homebody, glad you decided to take the plunge! One thing I like a LOT about the natural fiber rugs is that the prices are so reasonable, you really can't lose.

Good luck and enjoy your natural fiber.

Ann

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Have you walked on them in bare feet? I have a seagrass rug in my LR. Love the look, but can't stand walking on it, LOL! Good thing it is a little used room!

• jjam
    13 years ago

Has anyone ordered from Home Decorators collection? I noticed they were mentioned on the Cote de Texas blog and see they are very reasonable. I'm thinking about one for my LR and wouldn't need a custom size.

• goodbyekitty
    13 years ago

Homebody, did you opt for the padding and treatment they offer? After reading Cote de Texas #3 design elements, seagrass is going to go in my DR and LR. But she didn't mention any padding or treatment applications in her post so I wasn't sure if it is recommended or not.

We want to put hardwoods in our entryway, hallway and dining room. I was hesitant about running it through to our living room but now I think I will.

• goodbyekitty
    13 years ago

The website must have those options listed for the other rugs they carry. I read where seagrass doesn't need a pad and it probably doesn't need to be treated either from what I am reading.

• chinchette
    13 years ago

So have any of you used a sisal or sea grass rug in a home office with the chair being on casters? Would it make it too difficult to move the chair? Would it wreck the rug too soon?

• elida kauffman
    6 years ago

Has anyone ordered a sisal rug from, The Perfect Rug" company"