Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

What size picture works best for this room?

fluffybutt
11 years ago

I bought this picture but I wonder if it's too small. In the next post, you will see that I hung a larger frame (won't be using that pic) to see what would work better.

Also, the end table would probably look better on the other side of the bed{{gwi:807}} with the bed pushed closer to the window but the side by the window is his play area. I'd like to keep it that way so it keeps the floor clear when you enter the room, and that way he can keep his "guys" set up.

This post was edited by tryingtodecorate on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 10:12

Comments (10)

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trying to post the pics

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

The first picture is a bit small, but you could hang something on either side to fill the space. If you're only going to hang a picture on that wall and nothing else, then the second is a much better fit.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

The second is better size-wise.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I like the size of the larger one better. But ... I cannot sleep in a bed with something hanging on the wall above it like that. I think I'd be worried it would smash down onto me at night - even though I'm on the wrong coast for earthquakes.

Any chance you have a nice wall-quilt you could put there? I know ... I'm weird & have some weird hangups.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, well it looks like the consensus is the bigger picture works best. Thanks for your thoughts! Anyone else want to chime in?

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I think the larger picture works much better.

It doesn't bother me to have items overhead the bed (I have a large mirror), but this looks like it's for a child's bedroom. I would take engineerchic's concern to heart for a child, who may have different sensibilities than an adult.

At Christmas, we had a beautiful sparkly star hung from the ceiling in our family room, a room with a high cathedral ceiling. Our 9 year old grandson expressed concern it might fall on him during the night (he slept on the sofa). He also makes sure the shower curtain is open in the guest bath before usng it because he told us he's afraid someone might jump out at him. He is not normally a fearful kid; he's usually extremely self-confident.

Kids sometimes have fears they don't express or maybe don't even know how to verbailize; he's just good at expressing them to us.

Dee

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I think you can go even larger than the second choice. Make the framed item a rectangle and hang longwise. I'd also consider a wider frame, and in some other color, depending on what else is or will be in the room. Is that a child's room? If it is, you could go with a frame in some bright color that would show up against the blue walls.

• fluffybutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, good info. Perhaps I could go with a stretched canvas type art that is more colorful and isn't heavy or containing glass, and maybe try to get a rectangular shape. Yes, it is a kids room. It looks a little junky right now.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Yes, stretched canvas, more color, less weight, no glass. A square shape is prefect for the headboard. If rectangular, not too much so, unless it is up and in which case, make the width similar to headboard size.