Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Favorite facial moisturizers and body soap/wash?

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

I have dry skin, more so this time of year. Have tried the gamut from inexpensive drugstore to expensive department store brands...have not found products to be loyal to? Your expert recommendations? Thanks!

Comments (24)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Organic pure jojoba! Use a small amount all over when you get out of the shower, blot yourself dry / damp and apply. You don't need much , it goes a long way. It's a good eye makeup remover as well. If you want it to smell nice for your body add 7 to 12 drops of French lavender extract. Or leave it plain and odorless. I would seek out organic pure .

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I have lots of allergies, and like Toms of Maine fragrance free sensitive skin bar soap with chamomile. I buy it on drugstore.com.

I like burts bees baby bee lemon oil for moisturizing. You have to carefully read the labels because they have more than one formula, and one has fragrance added and one does not.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I use Aveeno products because they are non-fragrance. It was a recommendation from someone here and I love the body washes and the hand creams.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I try to remember to exfoliate even more during the colder months, when my skin is at it's driest, exfoliating the dead skin allows any moisturizer to penetrate better, imoâ¦

I like the the Occitane almost paste scrub, it's very gentle.

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

Aveeno lover here, for both dry skin lotion and body wash.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I have dry-normal skin depending on the weather. I love the Eucerin Daily protection SPF30 lotion. Because I have melanoma in my family I need to be diligent about using sunscreen - every-single-day - even if just driving to work and back. This is great for daily use, but I also use Neutragena's SPF 50 or 70 face lotion if I will be outside a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucerin SPF 30

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I only moisturize my face. I am fair and tend to have delicate skin. I have used Noxzema since I was kid, only now I get it in a pump which is great. I like it because it is gentle and yet feels so clean. They say you aren't supposed to wash your face so much that i feels "squeaky clean"; i think the eucalyptus in Noxzema gives you that great, clean, feel but it is truly gentle.

The last few years I have needed moisturizer in the winter, and I use Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew. It isn't greasy but it does the job.

I am a total devotee of Chanel for makeup, but I tried all of their skincare products, as well as others, and I keep coming back to these drugstore basic.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I never use anything but cetaphil to clean my face. I love clinique moisturizers and use Roc night creme and eye creme.

I agree with mitch about exfoliating - my face is flaky right now. I have an electronic brush - but right now I need the grainy scrub. Makes my skin (face) look so much better!!

I don't have a favorite body scrub. I use them but I also like the scrubby gloves you can use to exfoliate.

tina

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I have really dry skin too and like Gold Bond for dry skin, especially for my hands. It isn't greasy.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

For years I've used Dr. Bronner's organic liquid castile soap with lavender as face and body wash. I use various oils as moisturizer - coconut, argan, almond, apricot, tamanu, and rose hip. Within minutes of washing my face with soap I spritz with lavender water and apply the oil. I also sometimes use essential oils that are recommended for aging skin.

Previous to finding these products I had used and discarded many products as they did not agree with my sensitive skin.

I use healthy oils in my diet to reduce the problem of dry skin.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I have sensitive skin. The thought of eucalyptus - shudder! :) (ask me how I know! :) )

I use Dr Bronners for hand moisturizer and body soap. Sometimes I use kiss my face for body soap too.

I wanted to switch to more natural face products and tried Jurlique for awhile, then Dr Huashka. I wasnt loving the results.

Then I tried Oil cleansing. WOW. I am a total convert. I can't imagine ever using anything else now frankly, but of course we shall see. :) I have been using it for about 3-4 months with great results so far. If anyone is interested I can add some links that I found helpful in starting.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Mtn, I haven't thought about Noxema for years! I used it growing up :)
    Today I use Eucerin Q10 for my face, Vaseline Intensive Care for my body and prescription for Lactate lotion for my feet. Sometimes I use the Lactate on my hands.
    I use Dove soap in the shower.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

boopadaboo, I would love some links for the Oil cleansing method please.
    ty!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Ellendi - you can buy lactate lotion/creme on Amazon for cheap - you should check it out.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Thanks Tina. We get three huge bottles through our drug plan.

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

Avenno Exema Creme for my arms and hands. I can use it on my legs but its thick so I have stuck with CeraVe lotion for my legs.

There is a thread about moisturizers on the Kitchen Forum and its quite detailed. Might want to check it out. Deals with facial mosturizers.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

It has been a crazy day at work. I will post my pinterest board with the links here - and come back tomorrow (hopefully) to give more info. :) Didn't want to leave you all hanging if you were dying to get going!

Here is a link that might be useful: links to oil cleansing

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

I should have said the post was on the Kitchen Table Forum. Do a search for it - Alisande started it.

• polly929
    10 years ago

I use arbonne products for my face and Jason body wash for the rest of the body. In colder months, I use a lavender oil salt scrub from Trader Joes. Body moisturizer I use a coconut cream from Trader Joes too. Most of my beauty products are organic (except for hair conditioner). I have pretty much tried everything out there, and can't believe what I like the most I buy at TJs. But over the last few years I've had a few very young friends diagnosed with strange cancers. I had a bone tumor, my sister had a thyroid tumor, my next door neighbor had a huge lung tumor (all of which were benign- thank goodness) but it made me wonder about all the chemicals we expose ourselves too daily. So I've decided to go organic, in food, beauty products, and limit my family's exposure to all of the toxic chemicals available in main stream supermarkets. I know, not what you asked for in your original post, but something to think about.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

One thing to look for is alcohol in the moisturizers. They can actually be drying to your skin, yet many contain alcohol. Of course there are other chemicals that some include that aren't much fun either like formaldehyde.

If you want to see what your product contains with a toxicity ranking, check out the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skin Deep

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Thanks for that Annie! Wow, itâÂÂs amazing we are all still alive after looking at the bad scores of stuff we just moisturize with. That doesnâÂÂt even include our deodorant, shampoo, makeup, mouthwash and toothpaste. We can all try to eat less contaminantâÂÂs only to have traces of chemicals on our silverware and dishes from that cleaner. Really, IâÂÂm amazed we are all still alive.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I use Aveeno body wash and occasionally Yardley bar soap (oatmeal and almond or their lavender scent). For facial cleansing I use Theraderm which I buy at my skin care Doc's office. Love it. And I have also been using a Clarisonic (won it as a door prize, ha!). Then I follow with Bobbi Brown skin care...a couple of different layers of moisturizers and such (1 is also from the skin care doc). If it gets really dry or irritated, I have an olive oil-based moisturizer I pat on.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I use Cetaphil as a body moisturizer. For my face, I use products from France-Orlane and Caudalie. My soaps are also bought there. When I run out, I know it is time for a trip! :)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I've been wanting to try TJ's coconut oil ever since reading this thread almost a year ago! A few people remarked how they used it on their face and really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: coconut oil