Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyandbella

coconut oil..moisturizer..

livvyandbella
11 years ago

I saw Meriedith Viera on the Today Show yesterday. She said she tried coconut oil on her skin. She puts it all over her body, including face after she showers, and how smooth it makes it. She says, yes, she smells like a coconut, but the smells go away. She loves the way she feels, and it is all natural. Has anyone tried this?

Comments (32)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I haven't tried coconut oil and would not want to use something with a pronounced scent on my skin. I think there are lots of good moisturizing oils out there. The trick is to do it as she does, immediately after drying yourself when coming out of the shower. I'm using Curel this season and am happy with it.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

I saw that show, too, and was wondering the same thing. I've recently been using Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter and love it! It has a lovely, mild coconut and something else scent that I enjoy and that fades within a few minutes. After Meredith mentioned using coconut oil, I tried mine on my face and neck and liked the feel of it. Next week when I head back to TJs, I'm going to see if they have the plain , simple coconut oil. The one I have (TJs Coconut Body Butter), has many other things in it as well, such glycerin, shea butter, salvia, yucca, rosemary chamomile extracts.
    Lynn

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

You can also buy more purified coconut oil that doesn't have much scent at all.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to try the oconut oil. She has mentioned a couple of times how much she likes it. This Winter, my skin is especially dry. It seems like an inexpensive, natural thing to try. Will let you know what I think..and if I smell like a coconut!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

The best coconut oil is extravirgin first cold pressed. I find it in my local wholefoods. In ayurveda, they recommended massaging your whole body and hair with cocounut or raw sesame oil and then showering. whenever I have done this, it keeps your skin wonderfully soft and supple and feels really nice. Not sticky at all.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

GWlolo, I will be off to Wholefoods...10 minutes from house. That is different, massaging it in, then showering it off. I look forward to trying it.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

GWlolo: thanks for the heads-up on the best type of coconut oil to get!

I stopped by Trader Joe's this afternoon and found that kind: 16-ounces in a glass jar for $5.99, "Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil". Out of the jar, it's the texture of slightly firmer Crisco, but melts immediately and easily as you spread it. The smell is coconut, but very lightly so. I tried on the back of one hand and my TJ's Coconut Body Butter on the other. The C/O's fragrance faded within 10-15 minutes, about 15 minutes faster than my C/BB, but I do have to say that the fragrance of both is quite light. Thirty minutes after I used them, both hands were very soft, neither were sticky, but the C/O was more moist.

Bottom line: I like them both. I'll use the C/O in the mornings and evenings and keep the C/BB out to use during the day. My feet and hands get very dry during the Winter months; I'll definitely be using the C/O on them!

Thanks for starting this thread, LaB!
    Lynn

• roobear
    11 years ago

Sometimes I use coconut oil as a moisturizer, but I really love it on a q-tip as an eye makeup remover. A very very tiny amount can be good for the hair too, to tame fly aways.

I also like Hempz herbal lotion for it's mild scent, and the chemical free natural lotion sticks and body butters from Bumble and Bee Organics.

Hempz lotion
    Bumble and Bee Organics

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great suggestions. Help for the dry skin on the way!
    Lynn, did you also use on your face?

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

I did, L&B, but very sparingly. I worry about clogged pores, but so far, so good.

• nicoletouk
    11 years ago

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer. I've used it sporadically for a couple of years (I don't really have dry skin issues). It is especially soothing on irritations and burns.

DH and I have also found, ummm, "other" uses for it as well. Works great, not sticky and no irritation. Have fun with it!

Nicole

• nicoletouk
    11 years ago

Coconut oil is a great moisturizer. I've used it sporadically for a couple of years (I don't really have dry skin issues). It is especially soothing on irritations and burns.

DH and I have also found, ummm, "other" uses for it as well. Works great, not sticky and no irritation. Have fun with it!

Nicole

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am a believer! I bought the organic coconut oil at Wild Oats. My skin has been so dry this Winter. My skin is already feeling so much improved. The only downside is, my dogs won't leave me alone. They like the smell!

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

DH, who has very dry skin, has fallen hard for my coconut oil. He used it after his shower yesterday and this morning was amazed and very happy with how great his skin still felt.
    N-B: thanks for the other uses suggestion (LOL).

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole did make me smile with her suggestion!

• roobear
    11 years ago

L&B, I feed a spoonful of coconut oil to my dogs often, they love it and it's really good for their skin and coat.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roobear..very interesting. Good to know. One of them is like me with the dry skin!

• judithn
    11 years ago

Another Trader Joe's product that moisturizes and exfoliates is the Lavendar Salt Scrub. A friend pointed it out to me, she loves it. It is salt with lavender essential oil, costs about $5 - $6 for a good sized container. I use it with a loofah and love it BUT be forewarned, it does make the bottom of my shower a little slippery.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Has anyone made the comparison between coconut oil and argan oil, and if so, what are your thoughts?

• anitamo
    11 years ago

I love CC. I use it for cooking, calluses, moisturizer...face and body. It is a great deep conditioner, too, for those who are blessed with thick curly hair, especially. I use it now for sunscreen, too. My niece gargles with it to whiten her teeth. I tried it, but almost gagged. So many uses. And, yes, get the EVCC.

• mailfox7
    11 years ago

I've used both coconut and argan oil.
    First, argan, which I really like for my dry hair. In the beginning I was recovering my hair from too much bleach color ( for another thread on leaving your stylist) I oiled up my hair, covered it with plastic and slept in it, then shampooed in the morning. I would put a few drops in my hands and rub them thru my damp hair before drying. Left my hair soft and mostly rid of dry coarseness, with more shine.
    My SIL recommended the coconut oil for her aging coarse, dry hair which was looking much better. I recently tried it and also liked the results.
    My go to has been Ojon leave in conditioner/glaze. A few drops in my palm mixed with the argan oil, or coconut oil before styling and it really made a difference. I have fine, not thick hair and it doesn't weigh it down. Feels great on my dry hands, too!

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

We love the Trade Joe's Coconut Body Butter too. A friend suggested and I bought it for DH because he is SO dry and also because he loves coconut. OMG - love the smell and the moisturizing. Aromatherapy - close your eyes and you're on a tropical island.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Always good to hear new products! One thing I noticed is that when I ran out of soap, I used shampoo for a while. My skin was sooooo soft! It was not a fancy shampoo either as I recall.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am still very happy with the coconut oil. I went for my haircut yesterday, and my hairdresser asked if I had just had a facial. I said no. She said your skin looks so good. I am sold!!

• jlj48
    11 years ago

Hey guys. I wanted to let you know that I decided to whip up my coconut oil in my kitchen aid mixer for about 10 minutes. I also added some vanilla for the scent, and I know it is a natural insect repellent in the summer time. It whipped up so nice! It makes it fluffy, similar to whipped cream but heavier. It glides on so smooth. I put some in jars and put them in my bathrooms. I will see if the texture stays the same over the course of the coming weeks and months. If so, I'm thinking of whipping up some for Christmas or birthday gifts. Just wanted to share.

• polly929
    11 years ago

It works good as natural deodorant too!

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I haven't tried coconut oil, but I do use olive oil on my face and body. My late grandmother used to do this and advised me to do the same. I have since I was about 16 yrs old. She died at 83 yrs of age and had very few wrinkles.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

mona, I like EVO and OCO. But your post made me smile remembering my aunt who looked 40 yrs younger than her age at 101+ when she died, she touted EVO as a moisturizer. I also remember always using cider vinegar as an skin conditioner/toner if diluted and a great for my system internal balancer. Yrs later the Oprah guru touted the same. Made me laugh at the idea of a reverse salad dressing, but it works!

• melbar
    11 years ago

abundant what is EVO?

Also, I may be dumb but I too bought some Coconut oil after seeing meridith. But all I could find was solid, kinda like crisco. I have warmed it and turned it to liquid but it gets hard after every use. Do ya'll use it solid or heat each time?? Is there a brand and a place to buy it as a liquid?

• User
    11 years ago

EVO is extra virgin olive oil

I bought the extra virgin organic coconut oil. It comes in a jar and is fairly solid. I put a small amount on a spoon and apply it to my face. I have used it now twice nightly and I really like the feel and look of my skin in the morning. I am going to incorporate this oil into my beauty regiment. I have also been ingesting it as well, replacing my margarine on my toast in the morning with coconut oil. It is supposed to be very healthy.
    Thanks livvyandbella for posting about this great oil.

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your very welcome Roseabbey! I am loving it.
    Melbar, mine is the same way. It just melts, every time you take a little and put in your hand!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Melbar - that is how coconut oil is supposed to be. Unlike other oils like olive, corn etc., coconut oil is almost 60-70% medium chain fatty acid. This means that the fats in the oil naturally crystallize and are solid until about 76degrees. When it is 76 degrees, the oil will become liquid. This also means that the oil does not get rancid easily at room temperature and it's smoke point is high. It is the preferred oil for cooking and frying in many parts of Asia as well. To use it just scoop a bit with your fingers and rub between our hands. Your body heat will immediately melt it. I apply a bit to my daughter's scalp and hair as a leave in conditioner.

If you blend it etc., you are incorporating air into the mixture and it will likely turn rancid faster. You can refrigerate it as well.

Lalitha