Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

"Jersey Boys": Has Anyone Seen It Yet?

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

This year once again DH's staff gave him a Christmas gift{{gwi:807}} certificate to Popejoy Hall, the venue down in Albuquerque where all the theatrical road shows play. Last year we saw "Lion King" there, which was beyond wonderful. We also saw "Wicked". Anyhoo, of the entire new season's shows listed I thought "Jersey Boys" would be the best and got great pre-(general public) release tickets to it right after New Years when they first went on sale.
They were $125 each and I'm now fretting that I should have gotten something else instead, since I hadn't heard any reviews on it. I had to use all of two separate gift certificates, plus cash to get these tickets, so I'm really hoping that this will be a fantastic show. Has anyone seen it yet? How was it? Our seats are excellent, about 8 rows back, right in the center.
Lynn
P.S. The first thing DH said when I told him I'd bought tickets to this show was, "So what did your GW Friends say about it? I really hope somebody gave you great reviews on it before you bought them." (Gulp!)

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 14:18

Comments (24)

• hhireno
    11 years ago

My sister has been to see it at least 3 times, in 2 different countries. She saw it in NYC and in Australia, for sure, and maybe the 3rd time was in London. Obviously, she loved it. She's been to see it with friends, her husband, and her sister in law and tells me all of them also loved it.

One of my friends and her husband also saw it in NY and couldn't stop raving about it.

Based on that anecdotal evidence from people I know and trust, I think you'll both enjoy it.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

It's wonderful! I saw the Broadway touring company performance when it went through Baltimore.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

YES! We saw it on Broadway shortly after it opened. I had thought about getting tix for me, DH, and my parents, for my parents' Thanksgiving week visit that year (we live just north of NYC), but didn't order tix for whatever the reason. Then, the day my parents arrived (the Saturday before Thanksgiving) my mom mentioned that my aunt and uncle had seen it, raved about it, and told my parents they would love it (my mom used to play Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons albums all the time when I was kid). So, we jumped on the computer and ordered tix for that week. Luckily this was early on, before it had been open very long.

We had lousy seats (way up in one of the last rows of the theater), but the show was FANTASTIC--we all loved it! I (and most of the audience) sang along to every song (I knew all the words, cuz like I said, my mom used to play the albums all the time--I wasn't very fond of them when I was younger, but I guess the songs grew on me!).

The show tells the backstory of the creation of the group, and takes them through the years to the present day (each member of the group "narrates" a different time span).

It's a really good show, and I think it has wide-ranging appeal, especially if you are familiar with any of the music.

*One interesting little factoid. In later years, when Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons were playing gigs anywhere and everywhere to raise cash, my DH performed in a trio that opened for them at a concert in the Pocono's, or thereabouts. FV+4 actually warmed-up backstage to the trio's songs/singing. However, while this gig was a highlight for DH, apparently it was a low-point for FV+4 ("playing every Podunk place, hell-hole, etc."). Poor DH!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

DH has seen it three times - twice in Vegas and once w/DS and his GF in Chicago. They all loved it, and the music. DH would go see again if I'm ever in the mood to go.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would be steaming if I paid money to go listen to Broadway professional sing and the audience joined in.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

We saw it a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. (The audience did not sing along at the performance we attended, thank God.)

Even learned something about Joe Pesci that I didn't know.

Have fun!

ML

• awm03
    11 years ago

I've seen it twice. It's great fun. Surprising twists to the story, a fast paced plot, very witty, with well-developed characters, and the music segues cleverly from the dialog. The set changes incorporated into the scenes are fun to watch too. I wasn't a Four Seasons fan in particular, but I really enjoyed this show -- what a fascinating background this group had! Yes, maybe the audience sings along (or even dances in the aisles), but the songs are so joyous & the rise & fall & rise again story is so stirring, that you can't help but join in.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Lynn, you and DH will love it! It's one of those musicals you can see over and over again. It's worth every penny, I promise.

I took a quick peek at the other performances at Popejoy Hall and saw that Lord of the Dance will be coming. It is a wonderful show as well.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(Sigh!) thank you all so much for getting back quickly with your thoughts and reviews on "Jersey Boys". Now I can stop fretting . . . and can tell DH you all loved it. I'm very familiar with FV&4's music, having grown up with it as a kid. My mom and cousins nearby seemed to always be playing their music. I still love it.
    Marlene, we took DD to see "Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance" at Popejoy a several years ago and it was wonderful! I'd also wanted to see "Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight!". DH saw it many years ago. He says it was fantastic, but wasn't excited about seeing it again this year. I'll bet "Dream Girls" is great, too. Gosh, I wish the tickets weren't so expensive!
    Lynn

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

One of my Christmas presents from DH was a pair of tickets to see this show, plus an overnight at the Four Seasons! Yes, he is a good guy. We're going in a few weeks. Glad to read these rave reviews!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

I never cared for Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons but I saw the show on Broadway shortly after it opened. My GF had tickets and at the last minute her DH couldn't attend. It was a matinee performance which would not be my first choice. I find that the audience at the evening shows often tend to be more responsive to the performances.

But I was pleasantly surprised, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The actors were perfect and the music paced appropriately, I even learned quite a bit of their back story. I thought the set itself was intriguing - primarily sparse and recessed on the stage. It was very architectural, gritty and dramatic.

Luckily the audience did not sing along to the songs until the very end,heck - I even joined in. It was infectious.

I do think you'll like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jersey Boys set design

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

I saw Jersey Boys with my daughter in NYC and it's fantastic! It's a trip down memory lane that will put a smile on your face. But also an emotional story as you hear of their rise and fall and struggles. I'd see it again in a heartbeat and will sometimes do a search for the soundtrack just to listen to the music. I can't imagine the audience singing along - that would be a spoiler. I saw Wicked in London and NYC and that's another one I loved---gives a whole different perspective on the Wizard of Oz.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I have to clarify; I didn't mean the audience was signing along loudly, just that you could see many people in the audience (besides myself) who were mouthing the words, or kind of singing to themselves. It was not disturbing, in the least, rather, everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Haven't seen it, but dated one during the summer of 1968 at the shore. ;)

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Now cyn that sounds like there's a story there.......

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ha, maire cate, not really. Wish there were! As many of us did, we spent summers at the shore. He was a bit of a 'bad' boy, but it was truly just fun innocent dating. He moved on to one of my best friends toward the end of the summer and then, of course, back to PA and our 'real' lives. :(

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the reviews!
    Cyn, how cool is that ?!? I had a similar experience with a certain famous Rolling Stone back in my early twenties. My kids were at first mortified when they found out, but now (finally) think that it's kind of neat, but funny. Still, those stories are great ones . . . after the fact, and many years later . . . to pass on to our kids and future generations. Mom/Grandma wasn't always so old and "out of it" (LOL)!
    Lynn

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Lynn and Cyn! Me too! Me too! I was good friends with, and dated for a nanosecond, a member of a well known group! Ah, the memories. :-)

Sue, how appropriate to stay at the Four Seasons! "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is opening on Broadway in March. I bet your DH will give you an appropriate themed gift if he takes you to that!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh dear. Now I am laughing. I didn't have a close encounter with any FAMOUS Jersey boy-I was just riffing on the term-mine was simply a boy FROM Jersey. Now, I do want to hear about you two, Lynn and Marlene!

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

LOL Cyn! I equate Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons with Jerseys Boys. But re-reading your original post, I sure did get it wrong!

I went to high school with my rock group friend. He was always an extremely talented musician. His group still tours. I haven't spoken with him in close to 40 years. Where did the time go?

• dawnbc
    11 years ago

We saw Jersey Boys not too long ago and had great seats .... 5th row. The only complaint I had was that they were smoking cigarettes throughout the show and near the end I started to have a coughing fit. Thank goodness I had some candies to suck on so didn't have to leave.

Other than that, the show was absolutely fabulous.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My bad, Cyn . . . I misread your post, too (LOL)! But, no, I'm not going into any details about my RS, except to say that he was sweet, affectionate and very mischievous.
    Marlene, someday we may need to have a private talk about our former beaus.
    Lynn

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Ah, so many of Philadelphia girls had a fling with a Jersey boy. Somehow they all looked good down the shore.

I actually had my first real kiss from a member of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band back when we were both in junior high. He went on to greater things than I did.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

No, I was just not clear enough, Lynne and Marlene!

LOL ded, how true (about those Jersey boys). And I think you may need to revamp your definition of greater things!
    :)