Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_confetti

Gluecille's Tapestry Purse Instructions

Red_Confetti
18 years ago

This was an absolute hit here in the past. Find the inexpensive tapestry placemats at "dollar stores," usually in sets of 4 or with a table-runner.

Now is the time to look for the placemats and get the good ones before they are all gone - LOL! And you'll need to get the long zippers - they disappear from stores close to Christmas, too.

And if you get started now, they will be all done long before Christmas.

Check the step-by-step illustrated instructions at the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gluecille's Tapestry Purse Instructions

Comments (14)

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

The local dollar stores have either run out of the fall ones or didn't get any this year. The christmas will be out before long. The Christmas ones also make beautiful throw pillows. Some of the designs on the christmas ones like angels could be used any time of year. Red thanks for posting glue's directions.
    Here's a pic of some Mother made last yr. The sewing gallery had already deleted my pic of my halloween one but I still had this picture saved.
    Susan in Bama

Here is a link that might be useful:

• barb_from_pa
    18 years ago

I'd like to give this a try, but my sewing skills are not only rusty, but limited. I haven't put a zipper in anything forever! I don't know if I could do it or not. I did buy placemats to make a pillow with last year and never did it. Hopefully, you have inspired me do get them out and do it! Thanks for the instructions!

• CandyWA
    18 years ago

Barb, couldn't you make the purse without a zipper? I would think that strong magnets would work nicely, or velcro, or maybe even a tab in the center with a beautiful button.

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

Barb,
    The ones that Mother and I made last year had the strong magnets as the closure. One of the things we did was to pick out the hem and iron flat before starting too. Your lining could be made like a second bag, inserted into the bag and top stitched to hold in place. That's when you'd add the magnetic snaps.
    Susan in Bama

• barb_from_pa
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tips! You guys are great!

• ewewho
    18 years ago

Barb, you can use a separating zipper for this. That is probably the easiest zipper you can put in and they are really strong.

Regina

• gluecille
    18 years ago

I'm not a zipper person either but this pattern makes it too easy

• gluecille
    18 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that is what I'm doing today. I've been off work all week and am planning on making me a new purse today. Monday I made DH a duffle bag out of camouflage material and it turned out really cute. Don't tell him I said it was cute or he won't use it and if you notice I have to call it a duffle bag. I'll post a pic when I can. Some friends have taken him fishing and he took it with him or I would post one now.

• Sewbeit
    18 years ago

Thank you for the purse ideas. Ny daughter is in full production on purses. She is taking orders and making spending money this fall.
    We both appreciate all the wonderful inspiration that you all have shown!
    SewBeIt

• granny2ricky
    18 years ago

I remember these...even bought everything to make them and ran out of time! Time to get it all out!

• loganhogan
    18 years ago

Here's my halloween one.
    Susan

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

those are wonderful instructions. Thanks for posting them!!

• Red_Confetti
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For those of you who either don't want to put in a zipper or think you can't do it, take a look at more of Susan's purses at the Sewing Forum (link below).

Take a look at her creative handles, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Placemat Purses at the Sewing Forum

• semiahmoo
    18 years ago

I remember that purse..because my friend and I sat down and sewed 7 of them one weekend! Talk about fun! It's a super easy pattern , after that weekend I make 4 more for presents!