Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loganhogan

Placemat purses

loganhogan
18 years ago

Since it's getting to be that time of year I thought I'd repost some pics for the newbies of the placemat purses Mother and I made last year. I'm trying my hand with photo bucket so forgive me if I mess this up.

Susan

Comments (9)

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's the Halloween one for me. I'm receiving compliments on it again this year. I sold several of this type bag last week at our craft show.
    Susan

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The fruit bag.
    {{!gwi}}

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry, I messed that one up, let's try again.
    Susan

• mermie
    18 years ago

Those are adorable.
    I would love to make them for my daughters. Is there a place I can find instructions?
    Love the Hallowween one especially!

• Red_Confetti
    18 years ago

You'll love making these purses/librarybags/totes, Mermie! See the link below at the Crafts and Decorations Forum... Gluecille made a wonderful step-by-step set of instructions, complete with pictures.

Just be sure to get to your favorite 'dollar store' or similar place to get some placemats before they are all gone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gluecille's Tapestry Purse Instructions

• Red_Confetti
    18 years ago

I love your purses, Susan... especially the Hallowe'en bag (I am partial to that holiday - lots of treats!). Fruit bag is lovely, too - nice fabric for year-round.

Very creative handles - I had been using the 1" wide nylon strapping, but now I see other possibilities - thanks for posting your great variations on a theme!

• loganhogan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The handles on the snowman bags are dog chains from $Tree. The halloween one is grosgrain and satin ribbon and the fruit one is fabic sewn at an angle and then knoted to add to the different look.
    The way I do mine is different from gluecille's because I don't do the zipper. Email me directly if you want directions.
    Susan

• ell_in_or
    18 years ago

You can also use a grommet to hook the handles to. I saw that somewhere and it was really cute.

• Red_Confetti
    18 years ago

Ah - dog chains!! Cute idea, Susan!

Somewhere on the Internet I saw another a novel approach to handles... the person used that thick-walled clear plastic tubing that is used in aquarium tanks, table fountains, etc.

She slithered pretty ribbon inside the handles. I think she even used a metallic pen or gel pen and wrote the recipient's name or a seasonal greeting over and over on the ribbon for one set of handles.

I just can't remember how she neatly attached the tubing to the purses - maybe she squeezed the ends flat and covered them with a patch or triangle of Ultrasuede or leather or something similar. Most sewing machines will easily sew right through plastic.

I think these handles would remain upright, which is convenient. Would also be handy on bags being used by children who might have sticky hands as the plastic tubing could be cleaned with a damp cloth.

[Wish I could remember where I saw it!]