Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd pantry items

Posted by PattyPeterson2208 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 10:48

I recently moved from a home with a large kitchen to an apartment with a tiny kitchen. I must have been convinced the stores would run out of food I have TOO much. I keep giving boxes of stuff away too people that are having a tough time but still have a lot. Now I am trying to use things that would not be in my normal rotation. I found a box of tapioca in the back of pantry so I think it's going to become raisin bread pudding with a tapioca coconut milk glaze. I can use 3 things tapioca, coconut milk and canned milk plus the loaf of Panara raisin bread I got for free. What can I do with the can of cream of coconut? My large freezer is a different story and I am working it down. I am sure I will ask about some other odd items as I value your opinions thanks Patty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd pantry items

I had the same question a couple days ago.

o

Make pina coladas.

Jim

o

Coconut Frosting? Sounds yummy!

COCONUT FROSTING

3 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
3 tbsp well-stirred canned cream of coconut
1 teaspoon dark rum (optional)
1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut

When purchasing the canned cream of coconut for this recipe, do not choose coconute milk, but instead choosing a product similar to Coco L�pez.

Combine ingredients, beating well until icing consistency is achieved. Add more confectioners sugar, if needed.

o

Soup? It's November, so it's soup time here...

Tom Ka Gai (Coconut Chicken Soup)

Servings: 6

3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk

2 cups water

2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root

4 tablespoons fish sauce

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion

1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

Cut chicken into thin strips and saute in oil for to 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken turns white.

Bring coconut milk and water to a boil. Reduce heat. Add ginger, fish sauce, lime juice, cayenne powder and turmeric. Simmer until the chicken is done, 10 to 15 minutes.

Sprinkle with scallions and fresh cilantro and serve steaming hot.

If you want to go off in another direction, there is sweet, like rice pudding. This one is from Gourmet magazine:

Coconut rice Pudding

1 1/2 cups cold unsalted cooked rice
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Garnish: sweetened flaked coconut, toasted

Simmer rice, milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt, uncovered, in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm.

Annie

o

I just made homemade ice cream with a can of coconut milk.

Tracey

o

Oh, Annie, Tom kha kai or gai is my favorite thing in the whole wide world. I recently scored on a can of lemongrass, the little rings of lemongrass. Fresh lemongrass was either 5 for two stalks or 2$ for moldy. I now have2 kinds of fish sauce and 3 kinds of coconut milk. We dont usually go crazy for the best this and best that but I shyly, quietly want a successful venture in this taste endeavour.

o

Coconut milk is a liquid. Cream of coconut is a solid, at least at room temperature.

o

coconut oil is also solid at room temp

o

Patty, am in same predicament of moving from a house with a large kitchen to an apartment with a tiny kitchen. What I wonder is: besides trying to use up items for which there in no longer room, how in the world are you able to cook in your new small space? A most frustrating situation for which I've found no answer. Thanks for any help.

o

You must be organized which I am NOT but making progess. The counter space is so small no junk on it. I have a large bakers rack for the small appliances which I do not want to get rid of. My cabinets are open at the top I am getting a piece of wire shelving that will go across the kitchen cabinet to cabinet next to the wall so I can set my wok and roasters up there and hang the pans I use I use most often. I hate to cook in the dark so an under cabinet light helps. I have a small cart on wheels for my old crock the I keep with the my cooking utensils in and onions and garlic. If I need to open oven it just rolls out of they way and wooden spoons are always at hand. My wine rack was on the counter but it that or the coffee maker so it going on the bakers rack also. Some things you just can't get rid of. Hope this helps a little. Patty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here