Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cream of coconut

Posted by purpleinopp (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 15:54

Could I substitute this ingredient for butter or lard in a banana bread recipe? I can't think of anything else to do with most of a leftover can of it. Ideas? How long will this stay fresh in the frige?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cream of coconut

I would use it in something you would normally use sweetened condensed milk in and would like coconut flavored. -Grainlady

o

Aha! I like this suggestion but my concern is that it's stiff, hard at room temperature. That's was why I was thinking butter/lard. I've got a dessert bar, brownie-type recipe that uses SCM, but it's hand-stirred with nuts and choc. morsels. Would I be able to stir it if I melt it in the nuker first? I can borrow a stronger arm if need be, but worry about it cooling to a non-mixed clump in the batter.

o

It stays hard because of the fat. While there is a high fat content, it's lower than lard or butter and it will have more moisture.

However, you can use it for your brownies or your banana bread. It will be a nice combination in either. The texture will be slightly different because your coconut will have more liquid and less fat than say, butter, but it will be interesting and pretty good. If it's sweet, then decrease the sugar in your bread or brownies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here