Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fennel

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:57

I am trying to incorporate more fennel into my diet. Can some of you give your favorite uses for this ? I have currently used it mostly in salads. Thanks for any advice. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fennel

I just charred some for pizza topping. Slice thick, coat very lightly (best on the edges, not down between the layers), and set on a hot grill or grill pan (I used a cast iron grill plate under the hood) until good and charred, and tender in the middle. Remove the stem and chop.

You can use fennel instead of onions in a lot of recipes that don't specifically require an onion flavor. Use in your base vegetables. It's good, and less obtrusive, grated and sauteed or steamed (chilled if going in a cold dish) in sandwiches, salads and soups, or even as a topping for cottage cheese.

o

Taught some kids how to make this:

dcarch

photo DSCN6660_zps0bed749d.jpg

o

OMG! That's adorable!

o

This is an old fennel thread with some interesting recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fennel Fest

o

Here are some Italian recipes for fennel. I have a hard time getting DB to eat it, however, and so I seldom make it, but when I do, I use an Italian recipe, like one of these. I normally add Italian sausage to the fennel dishes that I make, in addition to pasta.

Lars

o

In soups and chowders all winter...and as Lars mentioned, a good companion to sausage and pasta dishes...
Now that the garden is in full bloom, i've been making sweet and sour slaws....a bit different every weekend so it doesn't get repetitive but not a mayo base....just apple cider vinegar and some mustard, a bit of maple syrup, lemon....beets, carrots, cabbage, dill and fennel...
So yeah it is a salad but can be changed up with a bit of toasted sesame oil and toasted seeds...and it lasts a few days in the fridge and added to a pasta salad or lentils or any bean salad...

o

Nice in risotto

o

A little off-topic but I love viewing your photos, sleevendog.

o

Crappy cell phone pics but our families are all over...Del, SC, Portland, Miami, Idaho...
We all send each other pics of our gardens and foods...our way of keeping in touch...
So i often have an overload of food prep pics, : )
More prep than platings...
Served this side salad with arepas last night...spiced up the masa with habanero, mustard and tumeric...and filled with sprouted grains and goat cheese...and forgot to take a pic!

o

Thanks everybody for the recipes. The Italian ones really sound good, but I have a feeling they have lots of sodium and much to my dismay that is a no-no. Will see if I can adjust some of the ingredients in them. Surely there is a way that i can enjoy a little bit. Barb

o

I add a bulb of sliced fennel to potatoes and onions when I roast them with a chicken.

Fennel also pairs well in a sauté with thick diagonal slices of zuchinni. Omit the salt, but use fresh black pepper. Cook single layer in a bit of olive oil until browned and softened on both sides. Can make a little or a lot and keep warm in a low oven. Squeeze some lemon juice over them once cooked and dust with Parmesan.

I also put diced fennel in bread stuffing along with onions, celery, carrots and sliced shiitakes. Fresh herbs in place of poultry seasoning blend if too much salt. Use a stale baguette - cut or torn into rough pieces. Mix raw veggies with the bread, put in a deep buttered casserole, cover with a split whole chicken and roast uncovered until chicken is done. (The veggies steam cook below the bird and the juices baste the bread cubes - find a dish that will hold the chicken tightly).

seagrass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here