Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food on a Stick

Posted by booberry85 (becky@leadtesting.net) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 8:43

Hello everyone,

It's been a little while since I posted. Anyway, yesterday I made shish kabobs (chicken, beef & veggie). It was great to be able to cook them out on the grill (without having to wear a winter jacket)! Somehow shish kabobs remind me of warm weather and fun social gatherings.

With the unofficial start of summer right around the corner, I was wondering, what are some of your favorite foods and recipes to cook or prepare on a stick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food on a Stick

A couple I really enjoy are...

Caprese salad on a stick - cherry or grape tomato, mozz cheese cube, basil leaf drizzled with dressing.

Watermelon, honeydew, cucumber, red onion, & jalapeno - grilled just a couple minutes until the watermelon gets char marks.

Fresh shrimp & scallops with a variety of dipping sauces.

Tiny new potato, chunk of polish sausage, shrimp, & a small piece of corn on the cob. Brush with lemon/herb butter while grilling. Yum! We make these by the dozens because they are also good room temperature. Cut the potato in half if they are too large to cook at the same time as the other ingredients.

/tricia

o

My kids used to make these recipes and it was a good way to get them to eat more fruit.

CAKE AND FRUIT KABOBS
18 (1-inch) cubes fresh pineapple or 8-oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
12 strawberries
12 (1-inch) cubes angel food cake
6 (8-inch) bamboo skewers
2 T. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T. butter

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Alternately thread 3 pineapple cubes, 2 strawberries and 2 cake cubes on each skewer. Place kabobs on waxed paper.

In small saucepan over low heat melt chocolate chips and margarine; blend well. Drizzle chocolate mixture over kabobs. Refrigerate until set. 6 kabobs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FRUIT 'N CHEESE KABOBS

2 packages (8-oz. each) Neufchatel cheese (skip the fresh chives below and use chunks of "string" cheese for an easy up-dated version)
Finely chopped fresh chives
1 can (15-1/4 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
2 small apples, each cut into 16 wedges
32 seedless grapes

Cut each package of cheese into 16 cubes. Press chives into cheese cubes on all sides. Refrigerate about 1 hour. Alternate 2 cheese cubes, 2 pineapple chunks, 2 apple wedges and 2 grapes on each of sixteen 6-inch skewers. Makes 16 kabobs.
-----------------------------------------

A granddaughter favorite:

PIZZA CHICKEN KABOBS
(a Betty Crocker recipe)

1-1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders (not breaded)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (1-cup)
1 package (8-oz.) whole mushrooms
1/3 c. Italian dressing
2 t. pizza seasonings
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. pizza sauce

Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Thread chicken, bell pepper and mushrooms alternately on each of six 11-inch metal skewers, leaving 1/2-inch space between each piece. Brush kabobs with dressing; sprinkle with pizza seasoning.

Cover and grill kabobs 4-6 inches from medium heat 9 to 11 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle immediately with cheese.

Meanwhile, heat pizza sauce in small saucepan over low heat. Serve kabobs with warm sauce. 6 servings.

-Grainlady

o

Marinated mushrooms are my favorite (see link below for recipes), and I generally separate the mushrooms on the skewer with pieces of onion.

For a main course, I prefer shrimp (I wrote this recipe for large shrimp cooked indoors on a grill pan, but you can use smaller ones on skewers on a barbeque.):

Grilled Shrimp

This recipe works best with large shrimp, and they should never have been frozen or pre-cooked.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp ginger (or ginger paste)
2 shallots
4 cloves garlic
2-4 serrano peppers, seeds removed
2 Tbsp mustard, either sweet & hot or Dijon
juice of two lemons, approximately 1/4 cup
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or white Balsamic vinegar)
1-1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
1 pound large shrimp

Directions:

Coarsely chop the ginger, shallots, garlic, and peppers. It is important to slice the ginger thinly across the grain so that the fibers will be very short. Put these ingredient with all the others except the olive oil and shrimp into a blender and process until a paste is formed. Then add the olive oil and process until smooth.

Devein the shrimp, if necessary, and place in a container that has a lid. Pour the marinade over the shrimp and store in the refrigerator for one to two hours. Remove the shrimp from the bowl and place the leftover marinade in a small pan or pyrex container.

Grill the shrimp for about 1-2 minutes on a side, or until it begins to get a tiny bit pink. You will probably have to do this in two or three batches, and you can store the undercooked shrimp in the original bowl that had the marinade, keeping them covered. When the last batch has been grilled, return all the shrimp to the grill pan, and cover with a domed lid. The shrimp should be slightly undercooked at this point, and they will steam to doneness in the hot, covered pan at this time. If you have a large grill, you can cook them all at the same time, and this won't be necessary.

While the shrimp is grilling, heat the marinade in a small pan until it comes to a boil and simmer for about two minutes, or microwave in a pyrex container until hot, stirring several times to prevent it from separating. Serve the shrimp with the heated marinade as a dipping sauce.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated mushrooms thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here