Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marinated mushrooms

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 13:45

I want to serve marinated mushrooms as part of an antipasto platter. Don't want to use canned, I want to make them from fresh button mushrooms.

Anyone have a T&T ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marinated mushrooms

I use my vinaigrette recipe for marinating mushrooms; I simplified it for you. I normally use fresh herbs, but for a marinade, that is not necessary.

Mushroom Vinaigrette Marinade

Ingredients

3 tbsp Dijon mustard
6 cloves garlic
1-2 shallots, depending on size (optional)
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, aged eight years or 1 tbsp molasses
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or to taste

Directions

Process in blender, adding the oil last.

Yield: approx. 1-2/3 cups

If you do not have molasses, you can add sugar to taste or use honey mustard instead of Dijon mustard. I cut the mushrooms into single portion size (halves or fourths or whole if very small), store them with enough marinade to cover them in a covered bowl for about and hour and then grill them very lightly - not enough to dry them out. A stovetop grill works fine. I make this recipe a lot, but I generally grill them over charcoal on skewers. You have to be careful not to overcook them, but they should not be raw. They can be served hot or cold, and are especially good in a green salad.

Lars

o

Really simple, really delicious.

MARINATED FRESH MUSHROOMS

1 Pound Fresh Button Mushrooms, stems trimmed
1 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Parsley
1 Tablespoon Dried Basil
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 Teaspoon Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the Oil and the Vinegar. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until the Sugar has dissolved. Taste and correct seasonings as necessary. Set Aside.

Bring a large pot of Water to a full rolling boil. Add the trimmed Mushrooms and blanch for two minutes. Remove Mushrooms from water and drain.

While still warm, place the Mushrooms in a large bowl and pour in the Vinaigrette Dressing. Toss to cover, serve at room temperature.

Steve

o

These are excellent. Of course you can vary the seasonings to taste too :-)

Alexa

Marinated Mushrooms (Funghi Oreganata)
Serves 4-6

14 oz Mushrooms
2 Lemons
1 Cup White Vinegar
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes (to taste, I use about 1 tsp)
4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled & Sliced
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1/3 Cup Fresh, Chopped Parsley

Brush off the mushrooms, and cut off any woody stems. Cut the mushrooms into quarters or halves if they are large. Boil the water, and squeeze the lemons into the hot water. Add the mushrooms, and cook until tender. Drain well. In another pot, add two cups of water and 1 cup of white vinegar and bring to a boil. Add the mushrooms and cook until foam appears. Drain in a sieve over the sink for two hours.
In a bowl, mix the cooled mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients. Toss well. Store in a large jar in the refrigerator, topping off the jar with a little extra olive oil to cover the mushrooms. Serve at room temperature.

o

I guess I am a Phillistine....
I just dump the mushrooms into boiling water for about 3 or 4 minutes depending on size....rinse with cold water and cover with a vinaigrette made from equal parts olive oil and vinegar....the vinegar is half cider vinegar and half balsamic....or sometimes half lemon juice. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 3 or 4 cloves of chopped garlic and lots of chopped herbs....fresh! If it's summer I like thyme and parsley or perhaps just lots of basil. If it's winter I use lots of parsley and some dried oregano.
I like to let them marinate in the refrig at least over night.
Linda C

o

Sharon here is another for your consideration. I have made these several times and they are wonderful.

Balsamic Mushrooms

1/4 c olive oil
12 oz button mushrooms
3 T balsamic vinegar
1 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh ground pepper

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes, season with pepper. Cook one minute more. Transfer to serving dish, serve hot or at room temperature.

Linda

o

Thanks everyone.

Think I'll go with a combo of Steve's, Linda's and Alexa's which are so similar ! I like the idea of them being blanched for the tray I'm preparing.

The other two recipes sound great and I'll be sure to use them as a side when grilling this summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here