Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cookalong #1 --- GINGER

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 9:59

The first ingredient focus is GINGER (any form).
Let's learn all we can.

Use this thread for all posts, recipes, discussion, pictures, questions, etc. If we need to add a second thread we can link it back to this one.

Recipes should all be T+T... unless stated that this a new recipe. Please give recipe source if known.

The Virtual dinner will be on Sat. January 31 2009.
You are encouraged to participate in the virtual dinner. No real requirements other than that one dish needs to have ginger in the starring role.
Please post a photo of your dish or dishes if you can. If you are new to posting photos we can help. If you haven't posted the recipe previously on the thread, please post it when you describe your virtual dinner.

All posts need to be completed by Sunday @ 6pm EST. I'll be drawing the name of the person who chooses the next focus ingredient soon after. So please check back in here Sunday evening to see if YOU are that person. The next day (Monday) is when we need to start the next Cookalong.

The one hangup I see is having the next person check in to find out they need to choose... have to work on that part. Ideas?

Let's begin our discussion about GINGER now.... :))

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original discussion

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER

Oh, how cool is this? I just picked up a beautiful piece of gingerroot yesterday! Now I just have to figure out what to make...

This sounds easy and good:

ASIAN PLUM-GLAZED ROASTED CHICKEN

1 (2-1/2 lb.) chicken
1/4 cup plum preserves
2 Tblsp. oyster sauce
1 Tblsp. Asian sesame oil
2 Tblsp. minced garlic
1 Tblsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 Tblsp. Chinese plum sauce

Wash chicken; pat dry. Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath breast. Combine preserves, oyster sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and plum sauce in a large bowl; whisk to mix thoroughly. Place chicken in the bowl with the marinade, turning to coat all sides of the chicken. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

About 2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350 F. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken in a heatproof dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Add 1/3 cup water to bottom of dish; baste chicken with dripping/water mixture. Cook another 15 minutes, then baste again. Continue cooking and basting every 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Let cool slightly; carve and serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Chef Paul McCann of Le Cirque 2000 creates elaborate dishes for his pricey New York restaurant, but he also developed this simple entree for Smuckers. Asian flavors inspired the recipe, and the ingredient list may require a trip to an Asian market.

Recipe from the St Louis Post 1/01/01.

I also have a recipe for Carrot Ginger soup somewhere that is fabulous. If anyone's interested, I'll dig it up and post it.

o

I have a "clean out the refrigerator" pot of soup going....
As per another thread....turkey carcass and a chicken carcass, boiled for 6 hours and picked clean....the broth is coming to a boil now...I have added celery onion, a green pepper and carrots, about to add canned tomatoes, considering adding that lone zucchini and looking at that nice fat piece of ginger root and thinking...????
What do you think? Ginger in Turkey soup??

Not to steal Pat's thunder...but...

Ginger Carrot Soup
2 tablespoons sweet cream butter
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 cup whipping cream
Salt and white pepper
Sour cream
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
In a 6-quart pan, over medium high heat, add butter and onions and cook, stirring often, until onions are limp. Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender when pierced.
Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Don't fill the blender more than half way, do it in batches if you have to. Cover the blender and then hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender*. Be careful when blending hot liquids as the mixture can spurt out of the blender. Pulse the blender to start it and then puree until smooth. Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot. For a smoother flavor bring soup to a boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle into bowls and garnish with dollop sour cream and parsley sprigs.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Recipe courtesy Maxine Bonneau
Show: All American Festivals
Episode: Carrot Festival

o

Yum! I love ginger!

I'm sorry, but I have a couple of questions about how this works. The discussion that is starting now - are we supposed to post *any* ginger recipes that we think people might like or only the recipe(s) that we are going to use for the virtual dinner? And are we supposed to post our recipe before the dinner or does it matter?

Can the ginger be in any of its forms - fresh, powdered, crystallized?

I posted my ginger cake recipe once before, if anyone wants that I can repost. I also have a carrot ginger soup that is good. I'll have to think about what else I have.

Ann

o

Here are links to two cake recipes. The citrus ginger cake with spiced orange compote from Eating Well is in my "to try" folder, and the Pear Ginger Coffee Cake from Penzeys I have made and it is out of this world!

citrus-ginger-cake-with-spiced-orange-compote-recipe

Pear Ginger Coffee Cake

o

Ann, the ginger can be in any form, dried, fresh, jarred, preserved... one of the reasons I picked ginger is because it does come in many forms (plus I love ginger!)
As far as recipes go... this might be a very good place to re-post your Ginger Cake recipe, some might have missed it and after all...it is a T+T. I guess what we don't want is to have someone just start collecting recipes from the Internet, posting a whole slew of them that have no relevance to the discussion...know what I mean? By all means, fell free to post any that you plan on using for the virtual dinner at anytime. Any way you want to do it is fine. Keep in mind that when you post a picture of a recipe it's nice to post the recipe at the same time on something like this.

Pat t ...I hope you make that chicken, it sure sounds good to me.

LindaC, I bet ginger would add a good dimension to your soup....go for it.

Laurie..both recipes are yummy!

Nancy

o

Okay, you have lured me in. I'm not usually a game joiner, but ginger....

o

GINGERBREAD

2 1/4 cups sifted (9 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the pan
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger**
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon Dutch-processed cocoa
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
3/4 cup mild or light molasses
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg

**For a stronger ginger flavor, replace the ground ginger with 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger and 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger. (I used 3 T fresh, 3 T crystallized, and 1 t ground)

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of an 11 by 7-inch baking dish; dust with flour, tapping out the excess.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and cocoa in a medium bowl.

3. Beat the butter, molasses, sugar, buttermilk, milk, and egg in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Add the dry ingredients and beat on medium speed until the batter is smooth and thick, about 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Do not overmix. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.

4. Bake until the top springs back when lightly touched and the edges have pulled away from the pan sides, about 40 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack and cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Variation: Fold 3/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or chopped prunes into the finished batter (I have not tried this).

o

Here is one with powdered ginger, my favorite gingersnaps.

Best Ginger Snaps
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar plus 3/4 cup for rolling***
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ginger
Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and molasses very thoroughly. Gradually add dry ingredients. Beat hard.
Don't be alarmed if the batter is soft!
Roll pieces of dough into 1" balls, then roll each ball into rest of sugar*** (I use coarse sugar but it isn't necessary if you don't have it).
Bake on greased baking sheet about 3" apart 10-12 minutes in 375 degree oven.
Take cookies from oven and let them stand for 1 minute before removing and cool on wire rack.
Makes 11-12 dozen cookies

o

This is my own recipe.

Ginger milk
Serves 2-3.

1/2 litre (1 pint) milk
2,5 cm (1 inch) fresh ginger root, OR 1 tsp powdered ginger (fresh is much better)
sugar to taste

Grate the ginger into cold milk and bring to the boil over medium heat. Strain into cups and serve with sugar to taste. If the milk curdles, try again with less ginger (this happens occasionally and the only explanation I can see is that the strength of the ginger varies depending on the soil it was grown in and its freshness).

This has a calming effect on an upset stomach, especially if it is bloated or aching from earlier overeating. It's also a good sleep aid, but more than that, it just happens to be very tasty even if there is nothing wrong with you, and it's just as warming as hot chocolate or coffee with brandy.

o

Well, this is interesting, but to be honest, I do not like ginger. I have tried to like it, and it is ok in small quantities, but it is one of the very few spices that I am not crazy about(alond with curry powder).
Nancy, that marinade that you make for chicken, it has ginger in it doesn't it? If I were to make a virtual meal, which I have never done, and used that marinade, woudl that classify as a focus on ginger?

o

I'm NOT taking a photo of my favorite way to use ginger.

If I have a particularly stressful day at work, I'll come home and soak in a nice hot bath with slices of fresh ginger root added to it. The aroma is so soothing.

o

Sherry, I think the marinade has plenty of ginger in it to give it a starring role and because you discard the marinade you are not really eating ginger. I certainly do understand likes and dislikes. I'm sure it won't take long for a focus ingredient to be something I don't really care for.... law of averages!

Here's the marinade recipe.

ASIAN MARINADE

Enough for 5lbs. of chicken breasts.

1 C vegetable oil
C sesame oil
C soy sauce
1/3 C minced garlic
C minced fresh ginger
2/3 C minced cilantro
6 green onions, sliced thin
1 tsp black pepper

Combine and add chicken. Marinate for 2 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

Nancy

o

I think ginger is another one of those things you either love or hate. I like ginger but my DW doesn't. Soooo, I rarely use it. It's funny sheshebop, she also doesn't like curry. Hmmm... interesting. Of course there have been many things that she didn't used to like that she now likes so maybe this Cookalong will inspire me to make something that changes her mind. That would be very good.. for me. Smiles.

o

I love ginger, but I don't care much for curry, LOL.

Count me in Nancy, I'm making these pork chops because I love pears and I love ginger, so I like them a lot. I use a sweet white moscato instead of a dry white wine, though, because I don't like dry white wine. Maybe for dessert I'll make these ginger cookies with dried ginger and ginger preserves, I got the recipe from Readinglady.

Pork Chops with Pear and Ginger Sauce
Four 4-ounce boneless pork chops, trimmed, 1/2 inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons canola oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup- reduced sodium chicken broth
1 firm, ripe pear (such as Bosc or Anjou), peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
One 1 1/2 inch long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)
6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2 inch lengths
2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water

Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Add vinegar and sugar to the pan, stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine. Stand back, as the caramel may sputter. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about two minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan. Stir to coat with juices. Serve immediately.

GINGER COOKIES

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
5 cracks freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling the cookies
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
2 tablespoons ginger preserves (see Cook's note)

Whisk the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, mustard, salt and black pepper together in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and the sugars with a hand mixer electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat on medium speed until just incorporated, about 20 seconds. Add the molasses and ginger preserves and continue beating until the batter is an even light brown color, 30 seconds more. Add the dry ingredients all at once, beating slowly to make a soft, smooth dough. Use a rubber spatula to make sure all ingredients are combined. Then beat again for 20 seconds. Cover the bowl with plastic and refrigerate the dough until firm, about 25 minutes.

Put about 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. With a cookie scoop or a small ice cream scoop, portion the dough into a slightly heaping tablespoon for each cookie. Roll the dough, by hand, into balls. Roll the tops of the balls in the sugar, and space them 2 inches apart on a nonstick or lightly oiled cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 25 minutes. (The chilling is what gives this cookie a beautiful, crackly crunch on top, and a soft, chewy center.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until the top is crackly, and the insides peeking out through are dark and moist but not raw, about 15 to 20 minutes. Briefly cool the cookies on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Serve or store in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 weeks.
Cook's Note: Ginger preserves give lots of flavor without the hard chunks of crystallized ginger. It is found in most grocery stores.

Annie

o

saying you don't like curry is rather like saying you don't like fruit....Curry is so many different things...mixes of spices...methods of cooking, foods to cook it with etc.
A lamb curry with middle eastern overtones is very different from s sweet creamy shrimp curry or form a curry and lime dip for veggies and for a brownsugar sauce to put over baked fruit.
B ut that's another thread.
here's another favorite ginger recipe...
GREEN PEPPERCORN, GINGER, AND ORANGE SAUCE
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, the mayonnaise, the mustard, the gingerroot, the zest, the juice, the green peppercorns, the sugar, the vinegar, and salt to taste and let the mixture stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to let the flavors develop.

And this in my "to try" files....waiting for spring!
Makes 1.4 kg (3 lb)
Rhubarb - 1.1 kg (2 lb), chopped
Sugar - 1.1 kg (2 lb)
Lemons - 2, juice only
Fresh root ginger - 25g (1 oz)
Preserved or crystallised ginger - 110g (4 oz), chopped
METHOD
Put the rhubarb in a large bowl in alternate layers with the sugar and lemon juice. Cover and leave overnight.
Next day, bruise the ginger root slightly with a weight or rolling pin, then tie it in a piece of muslin. Put the rhubarb mixture into a preserving pan with the muslin bag and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
Remove the muslin bag, add the preserved or crystallised ginger and boil for a further 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is clear. Test for a set and, when the setting point is reached, take the pan off the heat and skim the surface with a slotted spoon. Pot and cover the jam.

o

Linda, your Green Peppercorn,Ginger and Orange Sauce sounds good. What do you use it for?

Beverly

o

This link is a T&T recipe that I made for Christmas this year. It was my first time doing a pork loin roast and it was out of this world delicious. I did not use all of the ingredients for the marinade, my mom had a bottle of asian style marinade called "Soy Vey" which I subbed. I also did't use all that sugar for the sweet potatoes--just about 3/4 cup brown sugar and a small can of crushed pineapple. I know you said not to just post Web links, but that's how some of my recipes are filed--as bookmarked Web pages. No sense just cutting and pasting when folks can go to the Web site themselves. I did make this, as I mentioned. It's an easy peasy way to do a ginger marinade for pork or chicken if you don't want to fuss with fresh ginger (like me).

Ginger Ale Marinated Pork Loin with Caramelized Sweet Potatoes from Emeril Lagasse for Foodnetwork.com

o

Well, darn it! We just finished up supper. T bone with fried shrimp and a garlic ginger mayo for dipping. LOL I just checked in here and what da ya know? I'm not one of those measuring, writing it down, kind of cooks although I keep saying I should be.

Tonight we had a dip for our fried shrimp that was Hellman's mayo, ginger, garlic, hot pepper (ripe red from the garden), a smidge soy sauce and lemon juice. It was good on the shrimp and good on the steak too. I wish I had seen this post before I cooked. I would have measured.

o

Here are a few T&T that we love.....

Honey Ginger Salmon

1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1 green onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet

4 servings Change size or US/metric : 35 minutes 20 mins prep

Change to: servings US Metric
1. In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
2. Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
3. Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
4. Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
5. Turn bag occasionally.
6. Lightly grease grill rack.
7. Preheat grill to medium heat.
8. Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
9. Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
10. Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
11. Discard leftover marinade.
lemon ginger biscotti

30 biscotti

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 large eggs
cooking spray
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white
1 tablespoon sugar

preheat oven to 350 combine flour, sugar, baking soda, ginger and salt in a large bowl.
stir in crystallized ginger.
mix lemon rind, lemon juice and eggs together and stir into flour mixture.
the dough will be crumbly.
turn dough out to a lightly floured surface, knead 7-8 times.
divide dough in half.
shape each half into a log.
spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray, place logs 6" apart.
combine water and egg white and brush over tops.
sprinkle with sugar.
bake for 30 minutes.
remove to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
slice each log diagonally into 3/4" slices.
place back on baking sheet, upright.
lower oven to 325.

bake 30 minutes longer , remove to a wire rack, cool.

Carrot Ginger Soup with Coconut Roasted Shrimp
HEALTHY
ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
SERVES: 6
The Good News A little coconut milk and shredded coconut soften the spicy edge of this soup while adding just a small amount of fat.
ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots (3/4 pound), chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup light coconut milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
16 large shrimp, shelled
1 1/2 tablespoons shredded coconut
Pinch of cayenne pepper
directions
Preheat the oven to 425. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger and crushed red pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter and sesame oil.
In a blender, puree the soup until smooth. Return it to the saucepan and stir in the skim milk and coconut milk. Season the soup with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Toss the shrimp with the coconut, cayenne and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes, or until pink. Ladle the carrot-ginger soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the coconut shrimp.
NOTES One Serving 230 cal, 11 gm total fat, 3.6 gm saturated fat, 17 gm carb, 3 gm fiber.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp
Ingredients:
24 medium Shrimp
3/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Garlic and herb seasoning
1 Egg, well beaten
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup shredded Coconut
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray large baking sheet with non-stick spray. Sprinkle shrimp evenly with seasoning blend and pepper. Place flour, egg, and coconut in three small separate bowls. Dip shrimp first in egg, then flour, then back in egg, then generously in coconut. Arrange shrimp on baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with dipping sauce. Makes 4 servings.
I like a plum or mango chile dipping sauce. Nectar, preserves, fresh fruit if available, crushed pepper or fresh chiles.

And one I have NOT tried, but I have it in my try soon file... just because!

Ginger Ale

1/2 ounce ginger root
1 large lemon
1 cuo sugar
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
1/2 gallon boiling water
1/2 tablespoon packaged dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cuo warm water
4 pint size bottles with corks or screw tops
lightly crush ginger root. Peel and slice lemon. Add ginger, lemon and 1 cup sugar to boiling water. Allow to cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons years. 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Add to ginger mixture. Let sit in a warm area for 8 hours. Skim off bubbles from time to time. Ladle into bottles- avoid the sludge att the bottom of the pot. cork or cap the bottler and let them stand in a warm place for three days. Chill before serving.

o

Alton Brown just had on a very good episode about....
ginger! Anyone else catch it? I might have to make his homemade gingerale soon.

o

I KNEW you guys didn't want me to play with you!
Hubby Dubby Do doesn't like ginger, so I don't cook with it much. I have something up my sleeve for you to try, however! Will be in touch.
Annie1971

o

I'll be a spectator too on this one...we don't care for ginger...I'll set the table for you, though..:)

o

Given this topic, I challenge myself to create a recipe named 'Fred Astaire's Finger'.

o

You are terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

LOL

o

Jessica, you're incorrigible. That's why I like you, LOL.

Teresa, I saw that episode just tonight, but didn't get any good ideas except that now Elery wants to make some homemade ginger ale.

Yes, LindaC, I know, there's many kinds of curry. I've tried curried lamb and detested it, not liking either curry powder or lamb. I've had curried fruit, equally icky. I've had a curry and carrot soup and a curried chicken thing with pineapple in it that was supposed to be Thai. Didn't like any of 'em, so I probably don't like curry. I even invoked Renee's 7 year rule and try it again every now and then, but still haven't eaten anything called curry, flavored with curry or "curried" that I like.

Annie

o

Ditto the above for me!

o

I love ginger. I am certainly going to try doing this. If I am lucky, that will even be my day off. If not, I will just cook for lunch instead of dinner. Hope that's o.k.
Lisa

o

Here is a simple tea/infusion that is comforting on a cold day. Use kitchen shears to snip 6 or 7 "quarters" of crystalized ginger into a large mug. Add cold water and microwave for 3 minutes and let it steep for a couple. You could strain out the ginger, but I leave it in for a treat when the tea is gone.

We also like this one...

Baked Oatmeal
from King Arthur Flours "Whole Grain Baking"

This makes a great breakfast or brunch casserole. Ive made it many times for house guests. (Some people in my extended family get very nervous without their daily oatmeal, lol.) You can vary the fruit (blueberries, bananas, craisens, etc) to your liking or add walnuts or pecans.

1 cup (4 3/4 ounces) steel-cut oats
4 tablespoons ( stick, 2 oz.) unsalted butter
4 cups (1 quart) water
3 cups (10 oz.) old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup (5 5/8 oz.) packed light or dark brown sugar
1 cups (6 oz.) Peeled and diced apple (1 large)
1 cups (6 oz.) diced dried apricots
1/4 cup (1 5/8 oz.) diced crystallized ginger
1 tsp salt
2 tsps ground cinnamon
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
cup (4 oz.) milk [I use 1 cup]
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Butter a 9-inch-square baking dish. [I make it in a 8x12 casserole.]

Place the steel-cut oats and butter in a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil and pour over the oats. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, stir in the old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, apple, apricots, ginger, salt and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir into the oat mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Bake, until the center is set, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve warm with milk or cream for breakfast, or warm with whipped cream, ice cream or frozen yogurt for dessert.

o

Next time you make chick or turkey soup, DO add some fresh ginger to the broth. It's wonderful!

o

Annie, I've made the pork, pear, and ginger recipe. We, and especially my dh, liked it.

I've been wanting to make a carrot soup and might just try the ginger carrot soup recipe.

I've also been wanting to try the Dan Dan Mian recipe that seagrass posted.

Here is a recipe that we like:

Asian-Style Green Beans
=======================
1 lb fresh green beans
1 tsp minced ginger root
1 clove garlic

Mix together
2 T water
1 T soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

toasted sesame seeds, opt.

Steam or saute beans with ginger and garlic until desired tenderness.

Add the sauce to the beans and cook, stirring gently until sauce is clear-- less than a minute.

Top with toasted sesame seeds, optional

Judi

o

Lindac, I said I did not like curry POWDER. I believe that is what the following comments were referring to.
Annie, those pork chops sound good. I might try that with less ginger.

o

Another one here with a DH that won't eat ginger. He gets little painful bumps in his mouth/throat. I'll watch for the next ingredient. I sometimes make gingersnaps & then eat them all myself!

/tricia

o

Sherry, curry powder is not a finite thing like ginger. It is a blend of spices, usually but not always containing a mixture of tumeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, cinnamon, ginger,several kinds of pepper, mustard, fennel, cloves, cardamon and likely more....in various amounts and proportions. Different brands contain different mixes of different spices in different amounts.
So if you don't like one curry powder, try another. Different curry powders are more different than different kinds of cinnamon.
Those that are heavy with tumeric are not as good to me as those which have less of that "yellow dye" in them.
Linda C

o

While I agree that curry powders vary, I don't think the differences are so significant that you really need to try more than one to decide that you don't like curry powder. Just my opinion. I love curry powder but just don't know why we're talking about it.

Ginger - Julienned, salted till tender, rinsed, added to stir fry - Yum!

o

In honor of of this weeks ingredient - ginger - I put half a tee spoon to the chili I am making for dinner right now:)

I will try to come up with something where ginger is the king/queen if time allows.

o

I chose this because it uses TWO kinds of ginger. The crystallized ginger really makes it pop. Plus, you all already have the recipes for that Polynesian peanut soup and the Chinese meatball soup.

This dessert is easy (SUPER easy), yummy, and even pretty healthful (unless you serve it with ice cream).

Annie1992, you'll like this one: ginger and pears.

Ginger pears

203 pears, peeled, halved, and cored
1/2 c brown sugar
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 c sliced almonds (I like them toasted a bit)
crystallized ginger, chopped, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange the pears, cut side up, in a baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, lemon juice, ground ginger, and almonds. Spoon over pears. Add a little water to the bottom of the baking dish and bake 15-20 min., until pears are tender.

o

Someplace I saw a recipe for a ginger cake or gingerbread using 3 kinds of ginger...powdered, grated fresh and bits of candied ginger.
Would love to know where I saw it....andw ould love to find it again....and make it!
Linda C

o

That cake recipe caught my eye too Linda. I have been trying to find a nice gingerbread cake. It is about the 9th post on this thread.

o

gellchom,

How big a baking dish do I need for:

LOL!

o

Very, very big!!!! :)

o

This is what we had last night for dinner and it is a favourite of ours.

Japanese chicken noodle bowl

1/2 tsp five spice powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 6-7 oz boneless chicken breast halves, skin on
2 tbsp miso paste
1 tsp light soy sauce
3 14 oz cans chicken broth, divided
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh ginger
1 carrot sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 bunches baby bok choy or 1/2 lb spinach (I use spinach)
4 oz firm tofu diced, (I usually omit just because I never have it handy)
8 oz soba noodles cooked according to directions then drained and rinsed under cold water

Directions:

Heat oven to 325F. Combine five spice powder and salt in a cup. Sprinkle over chicken. Heat oil in medium dutch oven over med high heat for 1 min. Add chicken skin side down, cover and cook about 6 min or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to small baking dish and discard drippings.

Bake chicken twelve to fifteen min or til an instant read thermometer reaches 170F when inserted in center of each breast..

Meanwhile, combine miso paste, soy sauce and 1/4 c of the broth in a small bowl. Heat same dutch oven over med heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 min. Stir in remaining broth and miso mixture until smooth. Add carrot and bring mixture to a boil; cover and simmer 15 min. Add bok choy or spinach and tofu. Cook uncovered 5 min more, til greens are tender and tofu is heated through. Slice chicken into chunks and add to pot or place in bowls with noodles and top with soup. (I just add chicken and noodles to the pot and then serve). Any leftover soup will thicken quite a bit, so I usually just add a bit more stock the next day.

Serves 4

Shelley S.

o

How big a baking dish do I need for:

I was wondering how long it would take me to peel, halve, and core the 203 pears. And how this could be a super easy recipe. LOL! Actually sounds very good.

Linda_C, I do think it's the recipe I posted above that you are thinking of. I had a thread about the frosting to be used for this back right before Christmas and you asked for the recipe.

Ann_F

o

Two recipes using ginger we like:

from Cooking Light, Dec 2003:
Note: To speed prep, heat skillet while fish marinates. Serve w/ pickled ginger & white rice tossed w/ chopped green onion.

WASABI SALMON

2 T low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp wasabi powder
1 tsp bottled minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
4 (6 -oz) skinless salmon fillets 1" thick
cooking spray

Combine soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, & sesame oil in a large zip top bag; add salmon. seal & marinate at room temp. 5 mins., turning bag occasionally. Remove salmon from bag, reserving marinade.

While fish marinates, heat a large nonstick skillet coated w/ cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the salmon & marinade; cook 3 minutes. Turn salmon over. reduce heat to medium; cook 8 minutes longer or until salmon is done.

The 2nd recipe is from the Food Network from at least 2004
I make this dish in a deep dish pyrex pie pan. I stand the shrimp up in a concentric (?) circle (keep going round & round til there is only 1 shrimp in the center). This makes a pretty presentation.

Garlic Ginger Teriyaki Shrimp

Recipe courtesy Keith Young

Show: Cooking LiveEpisode: Gridiron Gourmet: Girls Night Off
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients:
* 2 pounds shrimp, 16 to 20 count
* 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup sesame oil
* 12 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup peeled ginger, minced
* 2 teaspoons red pepper sauce

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Peel shrimp leaving the final tail section intact. Devein and partially butterfly shrimp (only butterfly the area furthest from the tail, so the shrimp will stand properly in a casserole dish). Set shrimp aside.

Place all remaining ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add shrimp to bowl and marinate for about 1/2 an hour, any longer may toughen the shrimp. Remove shrimp from marinade and stand each one individually in casserole dish, one behind the other, with each tail resting on the shrimp in front of it. Pour marinade into casserole dish covering shrimp approximately 1/2 way. Place shrimp in oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

o

Well the resident wimp doesn't "do" ginger...well he thinks he doesn't but I put it most of my Chinese recipes and he loves them all!

He also doesn't do spicy and that's harder to hide! LOL He will be out of town the weekend of the 31st so I think I'll make this one just for me. I made it once before and loved it...think it may have come from here but I* neglected to copy the source. If you recognize it speak up.

Hot And Sour Shrimp Lo Mein

1 1/2 Lb medium shrimp peeled

Ginger Marinade

3 Tbl Chinese rice wine or sake
1 1/2 Tbl minced fresh ginger
1 Tsp toasted sesame oil

Hot and Sour Sauce

1 1/2 Cup chicken broth
5 1/2 Tbl soy sauce
2 Tbl Chinese rice wine or sake
2 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl Chinese black vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
1 Tbl cornstarch

Lo Mein

3 1/2 Tbl safflower or corn oil
1 medium red onion thinly sliced
2 1/2 Tbl minced garlic
1 Tsp hot chile paste
1/2 Lb snow peas ends snapped and strings removed
1 1/2 cups canned water chestnuts, sliced
1/2 Lb flat noodles

In a bowl, combine the shrimp with the ginger marinade, tossing lightly to coat.

Combine ingredients for Hot and Sour Sauce

In a wok or heavy skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil and heat until very hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and toss lightly for about 1 1/2 minutes until they turn pink. Remove with a handled strainer or a slotted spoon and drain in a colander. Wipe out the wok.

Reheat the wok over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and heat until hot, about 20 seconds. Add the onion, garlic and chile paste and stir-fry until the onion is slightly softened, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and snow peas,turn up the heat to high and toss until heated through.

Add the hot-and- sour sauce and cook, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the shrimp and noodles and mix gently. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately

o

Prairie/Ann, not the recipe for the ginger cake. The cake I am thinking of had 3 kinds of ginger in the cake, and I found it in a cookbook or magazine...I can see it on a printed page....but not well enough to read it! LOL!
It'll surface....sometime!
Linda c

o

LindaC,

Here's one that uses all three.

Triple Ginger Cake with Lemon Glaze

A great dessert for a buffett.

Serving: 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup light unsulphured molasses
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
For the glaze:
2 tablespoons dark rum or ginger liqueur
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square or round cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the egg, molasses, and fresh ginger and beat until well blended. Reduce the speed to low and in 3 batches, beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in the crystallized ginger. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake until the center springs back when touched lightly with a fingertip, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a rack and turn right side up. Cool 15 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients. Stir until well blended, then brush onto the top and sides of the cake. Let cool before serving. Makes one 8-inch cake.

Based on individual serving.
Calories: 350
Total Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 55 g
Protein: 4 g
Shelley S

o

OK, it may not be the same, but that one above does have three kinds of ginger. At least the way I make it :)

o

If that isn't "IT" it'll do until the real one gets uncovered.....sounds wonderful....and it may well be "IT" because I am remembering a lemon glaze....but don't remember there being any molasses in the cake nor rum in the glaze....
Now if I ever get my sink un plugged....I amy make it!!
Thanks!
Linda c

o

I've made this one a few times. It's so simple it doesn't seem like it would be good.

Note: I start with less honey than called for and taste as I go. I've also used boneless breasts with no overnight marinating.

INDONESIAN GINGER CHICKEN
Ina Garten - The Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients

* 1 cup honey
* 3/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)
* 1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root
* 2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed

Directions

Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is melted. Arrange the chicken in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up, and raise the temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh and the sauce is a rich, dark brown.

o
RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER???????

I have one question. Must we cook our own recipe for the virtual dinner or is it ok to use a recipe that someone else has posted?

o

Use any recipe you want for the virtual dinner. I've already changed my mind several times. The recipe you just posted sounds really good, I may make that very soon and will sub maple syrup for the honey...

We are already getting a really nice collection of recipes here, which is what I hoped would happen.

Nancy

o

Ooh - I know you've done these virtual dinners before, but I've never participated. This sounds really fun and I love ginger, so I think I'm in.

We'll definitely start off with these Ginger Martinis, courtesy of the Food Network. DH is a master martini maker and these are really ginger-y and good. We usually don't use up all the pulp, so I freeze it ice cube trays and add it to baked goods.

Ginger Martini
Food Network Kitchens

Ice
3 ounces vodka, any flavor
1/2 to 1 ounce ginger syrup, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Twist of lemon or lime

Fill a cocktail shaker or small pitcher with ice. Add the vodka, ginger syrup, and lime juice. Cover and shake vigorously, or stir, until combined and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, by the time the shaker mists up the drink is ready.) Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add twist and serve.

Ginger Syrup:

1 lemon
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh ginger with peel, about 8 ounces
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

Remove the outer peel of the lemon with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to include too much of the bitter white pith. Finely chop the lemon peel and ginger in a food processor. Transfer the lemon-ginger mixture to a medium saucepan, add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture and cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

Yield: 2 cups

o

OMG, there are ginger martinis?! I just got a huge bottle of vodka for Christmas, I didn't know what I was going to do with it . . .

Now I have a question. I'm starting to think about overall menus, have to pair ginger with something complimentary. Should we post here or should I start another thread?

o

I would like to participate. I'm not a huge fan of ginger but love it in Asian cooking. I'm not really sure if ginger is the "star" ingredient but I definetly can taste it.

trsinc posted the recipe that I was going to suggest. I have made that a couple of times and we have enjoyed it.

o

Laurie, I think that this is the right place to post about menus and complimentay dishes. That way we keep it all toghether in Cookalong #1.

I plan on keeping a file just for all these threads so then when I get in the mood to use one of the focus ingredients I'll have all kinds of inspiration...

Nancy

o

Great, here goes:

I'm going to have a dinner, but it will either just be me and my BF, or one other couple, so something small and informal. I definately want to try the citrus ginger cake for dessert. And the martinis as a start. Here's my dilemma (sp?). With a sweet drink and carby dessert I want to keep the dinner somewhat lower carb. I'd either like to do the carrot soup or the ginger green beans with the meal. At this point I can only think of two options.

Meal 1 - ginger martinis and ? (some appetizer to compliment, maybe little phyllo cups filled with mushroom tomato concoction) pork chop for meat eaters, veggie burger for me, roasted cauliflower with bread crumbs, ginger green beans, cake for dessert.

Meal 2 - ginger martinis and then salad of roasted beets and feta cheese over romaine, ginger carrot soup, roasted chicken drumsticks with maybe a hot pepper jelly coating at the end, and the cake. This meal leaves something to be desired. Like maybe the phyllo appetizer, then have coleslaw with the soup and . . .

I dunno, what's low carb that goes with a soup meal? The classic is soup and sandwich, but I have seen soup and two salads. Maybe a bean salad? It's just that a lot of people don't like beans, even though I love them. I guess I could do a chicken salad . . . or that pea and peanut and cheese salad. I don't have recipe for that. Or is it broccoli and cauliflower and cashews . . . I have a great version of the italian tuna and bean salad that uses tofu, but there you go again, so many people have tofu phobia.

I don't do beef and BF doesn't do fish. I'd be interested in appetizer ideas to go with the ginger martinis, and a salad with some protein to go with the ginger carrot soup. I can't do a lot of cheese either. I know, I know, all the fun foods are restricted . . .

o

The Indonesian Ginger Chicken sounds like something the whole family would like.These are not recipes per se, but...
To have with coffee after dinner:
Melt good quality dark chocolate and dip bit size pieces of patted dry candied ginger(the kind that comes in syrup.)I could eat a pound of this!
When I was a kid, my Dad would make Ginger Toast - just like cinnamon toast, but using powdered ginger in place of the cinnamon. Warmed you up on a cold morning.

Jane

o

I dont like ginger but DH dose so I found a gingerbread cake mix that I use to make him gingerbread muffins. LOL Its kinda like coffee I like the smell but not the taste.

Claudia

o

My maternal grandmother always loved crystallized ginger so much that every Christmas she would receive a Chinese porcelain crock full of it from my aunts.
I like ginger as part of a sauce or dressing and in chutney.

But here's one recipe for which I buy fresh ginger root: Marilyn's Gourmet Sauce, Marilyn's (DanaIN) version of teriyaki sauce, which uses grated ginger.
I keep a wrapped piece of ginger in the deep freeze and just grate off what I need on my Microplane.

My baked salmon using Marilyn's sauce:

Marilyn's Gourmet Sauce

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
2 cloves garlic; minced
1 teaspoon ginger (fresh or dried)
1/4 cup red wine (or Mirin)
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Whisk all ingredients together. Allow to sit at least 1/2 hour to blend flavors. Use on salmon, chicken or pork.

My note: I marinate the salmon in a shallow casserole and then put it into the toaster oven, still in the marinade, for about 30 minutes or until it flakes when pushed with a fork.

Always turns out well. If I am able to join in with the virtual dinner, I'll be using this sauce on fish or chicken as my entry.

SharonCb

o

I definitely need to add Ginger Martini's to the bartender (DH)'s repetoire!

Here's a creme brulee we like... and it uses 3 forms of ginger...

Ginger Creme Brulee
from www.gourmetsleuth.com
Source: Chef du Jour Cynthia Long Dj9217
Makes: 4 servings

5 egg yolks
2 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
1 pint heavy cream
2 TBSP ground ginger
1 TBSP fresh ginger - peeled and chopped
Sugar for brulee topping
Garnish: Sliced Strawberries, Candied Ginger

Preheat oven to 350. Place cream along with ground and fresh ginger in a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Mix yolks and the sugar together. Temper the cream mixture with the yolk mixture.
Let the mixture cool, and strain. Divide mixture into individul shallow custard cups and place in larger pan. Place pan in oven and fill halfway up with hot water.
Bake until custard is firm about 25-30 minutes. Remove cups from pan and let cool. While custard is cooling preheat broiler
When cool, sprinkle a little sugar on each cup. Place under broiler to carmelize. Garnish with candied ginger and sliced strawberry. Custard cups may also be carmelized using a blow torch.
Source credits: MasterCook Series

If I can make it to the dinner, I'm thinking Ginger Martinis, one of the Salmon dishes, side salad, ginger creme brulee...

o

I'm still working on my 'Fred' recipe. Snort. heh heh.

o

Sharon, that salmon looks wonderful. Marilyn's recipe is very similar to Ina's but has wine added which I think sounds super! With it just being two of us in the house, I cut Ina's recipe down quite a bit.

I happened to catch a repeat of one of her shows today and I can't believe I forgot about this recipe because the salmon was very good - Eli's Asian Salmon. I have the recipe in her Cookbook BC at Home but the picture in the cookbook doesn't do justice IMO because the salmon looks white in the picture and that is not how it turned out for me or from what I saw her make on her show today.

She also made a good looking Asian Salad, but I have had a problem with adding peanut butter in dishes and not being happy with them (but it did look very good AND included ginger!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Crunchy Noodle Salad

o
RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER.1

And the Salmon recipe...

Here is a link that might be useful: Elis Asian Salmon

o

I've been so darn busy with mortgages (thank goodness) that I haven't had the time I want to even lurk here. However, I do have some ideas/thoughts I want to share about curry and ginger (especially after having made my first real life visit to Penzey's!). Hopefully I'll have about 15 minutes to check in tomorrow. Suffice it to say, though, I've been making freezer meals from a specific cookbook geared towards it. I made a creamy curry casserole the other night that my kids devoured, loaded with Jamaican curry and chopped fresh ginger. I didn't think they'd like it, and instead got accolades. Then I went to Penzey's yesterday, and smelled the 8 or so different curries they had. Amazing how different they all were. I bought the Sate and Garam Masala, plus maybe the sweet curry. I'll have to check before I check in tomorrow. But they smell nothing like what I've bought in the supermarket, nothing.
Missing you all!
Nance

o

There's a Good Eats episode on Ginger on my DVR right now. I'll check it out and see if there's anything good in there! I've not really cooked with ginger much, so I don't have a whole lot to bring to the table on this challenge. I'll see if I can come up with something and turn it into a T&T recipe.

Bri

o

Sigh, I am another person who is not fond of ginger. I'll peek back to see what everyone makes though, and to see what the next cookalong ingredient is. Interestingly enough, even though I don't like ginger, the only soft drink I like is gingerale. Does it count if I make something with that? My husband likes ginger, he also loves curry, and I've never tried a curry I like. I guess opposites do attract.

o

I love ginger, especially the pickled ginger served next to sushi. Yum.

One of my favorite ginger recipes came from my mother.

She won the chicken portion of a BBQ contest with this recipe. My kids and DH enjoy it, too.

GINGERED BARBEQUED CHICKEN BREASTS
from Mom

1/2 C. ketchup
3 T. worcestershire sauce
2 T. peanut oil
1 T. honey
1-1/2 t. grated fresh ginger
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. chili powder
3 chicken breasts, approximately 1 pound

She used the recipe as a BBQ sauce for chicken cooked on the grill.

If baking in an oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wisk all the ingredients together. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brush half the sauce on top of the chicken. Bake for 20 minutes. Brush remaining ingredients, bake for 20 more minutes.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the other recipes here, too. The first one I cut and pasted was the Japanese Chicken Noodle Bowl. Sounds like something I would love but only have had in a restaurant.

Kari

o

OK, I needed a simple recipe, and Sharon's pic of her Salmon with Marilyn's marinade really did it for me. I will definitely be making that marinade. However, I am going to use pork instead of salmon. I love salmon, but hubby is wishy washy. I can't get great salmon here. Therefore, I will make a marinated pork tenderloin. Still thinking about the salads.
And Sharon, a picture truly IS worth a thousand words.
Sher

o

Jcrowley you might try that gingerale marinated pork loin recipe I put a link to above. I mixed the gingerale with a bottled marinade and it was easy peasy and didn't taste overwhelmingly spicey, (or believe me, my dad would NOT have eaten it when I fixed it).

I am another person who prefers gingerale to all other soft drinks. People know when I'm around they need to get gingerale--it's what I mostly drink. Nowdays I have to do diet gingerale.

Here are two appetizer recipes I found while rummaging around my recipe box for something to serve. I am having so much trouble coming up with a dinner menu. Fish or any type of seafood is the logical choice to go with ginger carrot soup, but BF doesn't do fish. I may try Kari's mom's marinade on chicken drumsticks.

Gingered Crostini and Pepper Spread
(I got this out of some healthy living flyer from my health insurance company ages ago)

1/2 TBLSP olive oil (1.5 tsps.)
1 small jalepeno pepper, minced
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 oz. package dried tomatoes or 12 dried tomatoes halves chopped
1/2 cup water
2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3 TBLSP chopped fresh basil or 1.5 tsp. dried basil
2 TBLSP fresh parsley (I think cilantro would be fab with this)
Minced fresh ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Toast mustard seeds in oil until they pop. Add jalepeno, dried tomatoes and water. Cover and cook until tomatoes are plump. Remove from heat. In a food processor, process roasted pepper to rough puree. Add tomato mixture, process until smooth. Add seasonings.

Crostini: preheat oven to 375. Cut 24 slices rustic style bread or baguette. Sprinkle with minced ginger root and parsley. Drizzle with olive oil Bake 8-10 min.

Orange Hummus
(I think this comes from the cookbook "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen)

3 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tahini
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 tsp. salt (optional)
1-2 TBLSP cider vinegar
3 med. cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 tsp. tamari sauce
1/4 tsp. each: cumin, corriander, ginger, dry mustard, tumeric, paprika

Combine all ingredients together in a food processor and process until smooth.

o

There's a brunch dish that I've wanted to try for years - "Indian Scrambled Eggs with Fragrant Rice and Minted Tomato Sauce" and I think this thread has inspired me to make it next weekend. There's onions and fresh ginger in the sauce, lentils and curry powder in the rice, and ginger and scallions in the eggs, plus many other spices. It will either be fantastic or disastrous so I'll wait to post the recipe in case it's the latter.

A ginger recipe I use often is one posted in 2001 by Linda in Tennessee for a Japanese steakhouse - type ginger salad dressing. I like ginger dressing and it's the best I've tried.

BENIHANA GINGER SALAD DRESSING

1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs. water
2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbs. minced celery
2 Tbs. ketchup
4 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed for about 1 minute or until all of the ingredients are well pureed.

These beans from Mollie Katzen's "Vegetable Heaven" have the flavor of Jamaican spice mixtures and can be made with either dried or canned beans. We eat this as a main dish rather than a side dish.

FIRECRACKER RED BEANS (6-8 servings)

2 Tbs. olive oil
3 cups finely minced onions
2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. fennel seeds
2 Tbs. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 to 2 tsp. salt
1 cup dry sherry
2 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp. minced chipotle chiles
1 cup water
1/4 cup almond butter
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
About 6 cups cooked small red beans or kidney beans (3 or 4 15-ounce cans, rinsed and drained)
Wedges of lime

Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, and fennel seeds, and saute for about 5-10 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium, add the garlic, allspice, thyme and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.

Stir in sherry, mustard, ketchup, chipotles and 1 cup water. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.

Place the almond butter and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add the boiling water and mash with a spoon until it becomes a uniform mixture. Stir this into the sauce and cook uncovered over low heat for about 5 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the beans in a 9 X 13 inch baking dish or equivalent casseerole, and pour in all the sauce. Cover with tight-fitting lid or foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the pan from the oven and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes, still tightly covered, so the beans can continue to absorb the liquid. Serve hot or warm, with squeezable wedges of lime on the side.

o

LOL!

I meant "2-3 pears."

Sorry!

o

Well, shoot! What am I going to do with all the pears I've peeled (thought I should get a head start on the peeling, paring, coring)?? LOL

o

lpinkmountain,

Thanks for bringing that pork loin recipe to my attention. I missed that when I was reading through the thread. Did you use the whole bottle of Soy Vej? Did you still use the chopped onion? I think I can do that recipe! Yeah. I do have problems with using the marinade as a sauce, but that was another thread!

Joanne

o

I mixed the marinade and the gingerale until I had enough to cover the pork loin halfway. I marinated it about 8 hours on one side and about 8 on the other. (I put it in before I went to bed and then turned it in the morning).

As for a cooked marinade, yeah, I know that is controversial, but I boiled it for a good half hour to reduce it, so I didn't have a problem with it. To me, it was yummy. And me being mostly vegetarian, if I felt any hesitation about a meat product I would not serve it. You could always throw out the marinade and make some more by mixing fresh gingerale and Soy Vey (or any other kind of bottled marinade, or even use the ingredients in the recipe, they sound fab to me), and then reducing it to a sauce.

o

Too many ginger recipes to try so I made the first one on Friday - Chinatown Soy Sauce Chicken from Molly O' Neill's New York Cookbook. I used a double sided fryer breast instead of the whole chicken. The only other change I made was to use 1/2 a star anise instead of a whole one. Even with a half, the anise flavor predominated so I would only use one pod next time.

The ginger and garlic permeated the meat and the broth was not overpowering, despite having so many strong flavors. Sides were plain white rice with toasted pecans and fresh spinach sauteed in sesame oil and dressed with rice wine, lemon juice, and light soy sauce (recipe from the same book).

It was a nice light ginger-accented meal and the taste was definitely better than my photography. LOL

CHINATOWN SOY SAUCE CHICKEN

1 star anise
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 Tbs. honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 slices fresh ginger, smashed
1 chicken (3 1/2 to 4 lbs.), well rinsed and patted dry

In a nonreactive pot large enough to hold the chicken snugly, gently boil 1 cup water and the star anise, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the star anise.

In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the chicken, and add the mixture to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the chicken, laying it on its side, and bring the liquid back to a boil. Cover and turn the heat to low. Simmer, basting frequently, for 15 minutes.

Turn the chicken to the other side and simmer, basting frequently, for another 15 minutes.

Turn once more, this time breast side up, and cook until golden brown, 15 minutes more. Remove the chicken and let cool to room temperature. Strain and reheat the cooking liquid and serve a drizzle over the carved chicken. Serves 4

Photobucket

o

The original recipe has you cooking a whole chicken for only 45 minutes?!

o

Yes, but I think the key word is "snugly" because the cooking liquid should cover the chicken about halfway up the sides.

o

It would have to be a scrawny little whole chicken to simmer for 45 minutes and be done. I think you were wise to go with the whole breast.

o

Christine, I wouldn't have been worried even if I'd used a whole chicken. I've made many recipes from "The New York Cookbook" with good results following the directions as written. With a book which won both the Julia Child/IACP and James Beard awards and specifically stated in the preface that every recipe was made and tested by either the author or one of her four assistants, I'd try the recipe before criticizing it.

o

I think of this forum as place for the free flow of ideas about cooking. My comments were not meant personally, as I think is clear.

o

I do see that this thread is just for amassing recipes that use ginger, and not discussing each one. My original question actually was to find out if something was left out; it was for information. Then once we were discussing it I just said one more thing. I probably would not have said it about anything but chicken. It's so important for safety to cook chicken long enough. Most people here know to always check, and not go by the time in recipes, but not everyone is equally experienced.
Tone of voice is missing in posts, so what sounded good-natured in my mind may have struck others differently.
I know I sometimes think there's too much criticiam in some posts, and if I seemed to be doing that, I regret it.

o

With so many good recipes already posted, I'm still not sure what I'm going to make next Saturday.

But I got a new hunk of ginger....
Photobucket

By the way, what is a hunk of it called?

Nancy

o

I always call it a hand, but that's for the whole thing. You have part of a hand. That's my own personal vocabulary... lol, I don't know if that's accurate.

I cut mine up and freeze it so I always have some available. Lars gave me that tip. It's much easier to pound into a paste after it has been frozen and thawed. Thanks Lars!

This has been fun! I don't know what I'm going to make yet either but I'm getting there. I think two weeks is just the right amount of time to research, think, then shop and make. Kind of like looking forward to a holiday dinner. :)

o

Cloudy, I, for one, did not read your comment as a negative. I thought you brought up a valid point, and then complimented the posted for making a wise choice. Hmmmm. I did not read any unpleasant tone at all.

o

I'm ready. I picked Ina's Indonesian Ginger Chicken. It looks yummy. I also went out looking for the Gingerbread liqueur that I found over the holidays. It is seasonal but they still had a few bottles. I will be drinking gingerbread cookies for dessert.

Gingerbread cookie
1 part gingerbread liqueur
1 part vodka
2/3 part kahlua
1 part 1/2 & 1/2

Shake with ice and strain into a graham-cracker rimmed martini glass. Yum!!

Ready for ginger cook along

o

I'm having to totally revamp my menu due to not being in the mood to entertain and having a ton of food to use up in the fridge. I made soup this past weekend so I'm afraid I am "souped out" this week, so the ginger carrot soup is out. Here's what I'm likely making.

Moroccan Vegetable Tagine from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian." It has ginger in the spice mix, I'll post when I can. Then I have roasted eggplant/red pepper dip to use up which I will probably mix with leftover ricotta and feta and some chopped kalamatas and serve as baked pasta. Then a romaine salad with a ginger dressing. If I'm in the mood for wine I have leftover merlot, so no ginger drinks, darn it. But I may have to get some of that gingerbread liqueur for the future! No dessert either. Without company there is no sense in me making anything sweet, I can't eat it up on my diet. If I end up wanting something sweet I have store bought ginger cookies.

o

I keep changing my mind. I'm going to make this some day, at least, if not for the cook along. Although I'm not interested in the carrot and potato spaghetti at the end.

HERB CRUSTED CHICKEN PAILLARD WITH HONEY- LEMON GRASS GLAZE
Ming Tsai

6 (6-ounce) chicken breasts skin-on (2 for leftovers)
1/2 cup chopped flat parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
6 scallions, sliced 1/8-inch
Salt and black pepper to taste
Canola oil to cook

Wrap the chicken in plastic and pound very thin. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the herbs together on a plate and dredge the chicken with the herbs. In a hot skillet coated with oil, pan sear the chicken golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes a side.

HONEY-LEMON GRASS GLAZE:
Canola oil to cook
6 lemon grass stalks, finely minced, white part only
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 cup Riesling or Gewurztraminer wine
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons lychee honey
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and black pepper to taste

In a medium-hot, non-reactive sauce pan, lightly coat the pan and sautee the lemongrass, ginger and shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with wine and reduce by 80 percent. Add the juice, stock and honey and reduce by 50 percent. Whisk in the butter and check for seasoning. Puree with a hand blender to a smooth consistency.

CARROT AND POTATO SPAGHETTI:
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into spirals with a turning slicer
1 large potato, peeled, cut into spirals with a turning slicer
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste

In a large non-stick skillet, add butter and melt on medium-low heat. Add carrots and potato and sautee. Season with cumin and salt. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Keep heat on medium-low or the potatoes could burn.

PLATING Place a small pile of the 'spaghetti'. Hide with chicken paillard and glaze the top with the sauce. Garnish with lemon zest.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

o

I've just had a change of ideas because I bought some lovely spring onion at the farmers' market the other day and have some little chicken tenders in the freezer. I think I'll make my version of Teriyaki Chicken and stir fried vegetables, using Marilyn's Gourmet Sauce with fresh ginger for the teriyaki. It's a really delicious dish.

I had it once in Canada at a restaurant and had to make a copycat recipe so this is it:

Teriyaki Chicken & Stir Fried Vegetables over Rice

For 3 servings.....
Ingredients:....quantities are variable

1 lb chicken breast cut into bite-sized strips
3/4 cup green bell pepper - finely chopped
3/4 cup red bell pepper - finely chopped
1/2 cup white part of spring onion bulb - sliced finely
1/2 cup grated carrot (optional)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 cup fresh or frozen heads of broccoli sliced & chopped
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce for marinade plus more for
drizzle over when serving
basmati rice - 3 cups cooked (200 grams raw)
or 1 cup cooked rice per person
3/4 cup sliced green stalk rings of spring onion - for garnish only
olive oil for cooking
salt & pepper

1. Put 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce in a small glass bowl and
put in chicken pieces to marinate for 30 to 60 minutes.
Turn pieces and spoon over sauce from time to time.

2. Chop and prepare vegetables, putting all except green onion rings
into a bowl. Put 2 TBS olive oil into a large non-stick frying pan or wok over
medium heat and when hot, add the vegetables from the bowl.
Stir constantly with wooden spoon until they are cooked enough
but not overdone....10 to 12 minutes. Add more oil as needed.
Turn off heat and put lid on pan to keep warm.

3. Put water on for cooking the rice.

4. When chicken has marinated, drain and reserve half the marinade,
putting the other half of it together with the chicken into a second
non-stick frying pan and cook, reducing the liquid and browning chicken
pieces, about 10 minutes. Then add the reserved marinade, cooking for a couple
minutes more until it has formed a reduced syrup around the chicken.

Drain cooked rice, add butter or oil, season to taste with salt & pepper.

5. Spoon chicken and sauce over vegetables, stir and season with S & P.
Serve over rice, drizzle with more Teriyaki sauce and garnish with green spring onion rings.

SharonCb

o
RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER////

PS Nancy....I forgot to add this....that a hunk of it is usually called ginger root, or a piece of ginger root. It grows well here in our garden but I usually buy it in the market.

S.

o

I haven't made up my mind yet on what I am going to make but I guess I better make a decision soon huh? LOL! We are going to a concert with friends on Sat. night so we will have dinner at our house first and then go to the show so I probably won't post a picture until Sunday morning.

Everything that has been posted so far sounds good and Sharon that dish looks wonderful!

o

I think a gingerbread cookie would be a lovely nightcap.
And yes, Cloudy....45 minutes will cook a 3 1/2 pound chicken perfectly....I find most people waaaaay over cook chicken, thereby the frequent plaint "I don't care for white meat, it's so dry."
Try it....you might be surprised.
Linda C

o

Some great lookin' recipes and ideas here for sure! I don't have any to add to the list as the one or two I had in my files have already been posted. I'll admit that I never used Ginger much until finding this forum but the recipes I have used have been great. I'll have to pass on this first cookalong due to a Birthday Party Saturday night and the SB on Sunday. Saving these recipes for sure....might do something on Friday or the following week and share it with y'all....depending on my crazy work/life in general schedule...

David

o

Here's the tagine recipe (which I will probably make either in my crockpot of roast in the oven)

Pearl Couscous Tagine (from Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything Vegetarian" cookbook)

2 TBLSP extra virgin olive oil
1 onion chopped (I'll probably use red for color)
2 cloves garlic minced
One 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground tumeric
Two three inch cinnamon sticks
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots, dates or raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped ripe tomato (about 1 pound whole, preferably peeled and seeded, or drained canned ones)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup cooked canned chickpeas
2 med. carrots, peeled and cut into bit sized chunks
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized chunks
2 zuchinni, cut into bite sized chunks (I'll probably use yellow summer squash, for the color)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup pearl couscous

Note: I'm also probably going to add peeled and diced butternut squash.

Put oil in a deep skillet with a lid over med. high heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens, about 5 min. Add the garlic, ginger, and other spices; cook, stirring often until fragrant, about 2 min.

Add the dried fruit, tomato, stock, chickpeas, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, etc., and a large pinch of salt and a good amount of pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are just tender. (The dish can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring it to a simmer before proceeding.)

Add the couscous and cook until al dente about 10 min. It should have a stewy consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve hot or store, covered in the fridge for up to 3 days and then reheat.

Notes: sounds like this is like most pasta dishes--tastes best the next day. Since I'm serving this with pasta, I am not going to add the couscous and all that broth--I'll do mine in the crockpot or roast in the oven.

Ginger Vinagrette (from the same cookbook)

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped in a blender
1 TBLSP sherry vinegar (I will use rice wine vinegar)
1 TBLSP freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TBLSP water (I might use more sherry vinegar, as it is mild)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
(Optional) 1 large shallot, minced (I might use some scallions I have languishing in the fridge)

Note: with this vinagrette, I might add just a drop of honey for my taste.

o

I haven't had much time for the forum, lately, but the time I've spent here I've missed this thread until today. We're going out of town Sunday, so I don't know if I'll have time to participate completely. I'd like to do the dinner Saturday night, but the follow up on Sunday I'll miss, and that's at least half the fun. Oh, well.

The Firecracker Red Beans that Ruthanna posted looks good. I may try that. So does the couscous recipe. They all sound good, actually.

I'll have to research and see, but I don't really have a T&T recipe featuring ginger that hasn't already been mentioned, like the carrot ginger soup and the gingerbread recipes. I might try to do something with tofu. Do y'all think one of the marinades posted above would work with tofu and grilled? I'm thinking of trying something like that.

Sally

o

This is a favorite of my DS.

Gingered Spaghetti Squash

Cut a spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place face down in baking dish with a few tablespoons of water. Bake in 375 oven till strands are "al dente" (~45 minutes).

Spoon strands out carefully and toss the hot squash with 2 TB butter, 1 TB honey and 1/2 TB minced ginger. Salt and pepper to taste.

o

I have a question about that red bean recipe, Ruthanna, or anybody. Do you have a suggestion for a substitute for the dry Sherry? I don't have more than a couple of tablespoons left, and don't want to go buy some at this time.

I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks I just might try tonight, as I won't have time to do it on Saturday. It's from Vegetariana, by Nava Atlas. I'll let y'all know if it's a winner or not.

Gingered Rice and Apple Stuffed Squash

2 medium acorn or butternut squashes
3/4 cup raw brown rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and slicd
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans
1/2 cup light cream or milk
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger, more or less to taste
1 teaspoon good curry powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup grated mild white cheese, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C)

Cut the squashes in half, place them cut side up on flat baking sheets, and cover them with aluminum foil. Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender.

In the meantime, cook the rice with the soy sauce added to the cooking water. (The cookbook doesn't indicate how much water, but it's usually 2 1/2 times the amount of rice, so this would be somewhere around 1 2/3 cups water for 3/4 cup rice???? I'd just follow the directions on the rice package.)

When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp, leaving about a 1/2 inch (1 1/2 cm) shell of pulp all around. Chop the pulp and set aside.

Heat the butter in a large skillet until it foams. Add the onion and saute over moderately low heat until it is translucent. Add the apple and saute until it softens, then add the squash pulp, cooked rice, and the remaining ingredients. Stir together and remove from the heat.

Stuff teh squash halves with the rice mixture, arrange in lightly oiled baking dishes, and bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

Sally

o

Sally if it is good it might end up on my family's Thanksgiving menu!

o

I haven't looked into this thread in a while...with all the recipes here..you could definately have ginger in every course of the meal!

o

Sally, I have only used the sherry when I've made it but if I didn't have any on hand, I'd probably substitute 1/4 cup of dark rum and 3/4 cup of water for the sherry instead of a different variety of wine.

o

This thread continues on the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #1 --- Ginger Thread #1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here