Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unable to Copy After Highlighting.

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 14:09

Just now, I started experiencing a similiar problem to the indicated at the below link.

I have always copied and pasted into a Word document when I wanted to save something. Today I am no longer able to do that.

I have Windows 7 with the browser being IE9.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Highlight Problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unable to Copy After Highlighting.

Cant recall if you mentioned or not, but do you have an uptodate antivirus, do you also do malware scans with Malwarebytes or something similar??

o

I do have Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Antispyware, and Malware Bytes which are all up-to-date. I run for updates for SAS and MB every morning and every evening, MSSE updates automatically.

I did scans with SAS and MB on Tuesday.

o

Have you tried copy/paste document to document or from another browser? How about just a few words of text or an image?

o

Copy/paste document to document works fine. I can also copy/paste from other websites without any kind of issue. It is just Gardenweb.

I would have to download a browser other than IE and for some reason am hesitant to do that.

o
RE: Blue Square

Just noticed that on GardenWeb, when I highlight text, a blue square with rounded corners with two white blocks overlaid so that they are joined by overlapping corners (hope that makes sense) and an arrow pointing upward to the right shows up just above the highlighted text and to the left. When I click on the blue square, the following options appear: E-mail with Windows Live; Map with Bing Maps; Search with Bing and others. I don�t recall seeing this blue block before when I highlighted text in order to copy it. I checked with other Websites and do not get the blue square with highlighted text.

o

Why would you hesitate about using a second browser? Nothing runs in the background and you can have as many as you please with no ill effect to the programs or your computer.

Always safe to have a second browser for just such things as you are now experiencing.

Out of curiosity what happens if you right click in an open area then click 'Select all'

o

Clicking in an open area, then clicking "select all," highlights all of the messages in the discussion. When I select copy, then paste, nothing happens.

I will try downloading another browser. Which browser, other than IE9, do you all recommend.

o

I'd choose Firefox. Most of us are familiar with it.

See link provided.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox 12.

o

Downloaded Firefox 12. And low and behold, I am able to highlight and copy from Gardenweb with it. Wonder why I can't with IE9.

o

Just wanted to update. Starting today, while using IE9 as my browser, I can finally copy and paste from GardenWeb into a Word document. Don't know why I couldn't for the past few days.

I will probably keep Firefox12 on my computer, but to be truthful, I did not like it. Maybe it's just that my comfort zone is IE, since that is what I have always used.

o
Update to Update

Well, this is just crazy. Now I can't copy and paste. Sure wish I knew what is going is with GardenWeb.

o

walnutcreek, don't feel too alone. I have this on again off again problem with copy when the source is nytimes.com. FF8.x through FF12. Very sporadic. No rhyme or reason.

o

You might just try the keystrokes to copy/paste from Windows. I work this lots of software that doesn't allow the right click copy/paste commands but the key strokes work.
CTRL + C is Copy
CTRL + V is Paste

o

ummm maybe try in elevated cmd window
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 oleacc.dll

o

Thanks, pk. I have tried the control copy and control paste, but that doesn't work either.

Mikie, I have tried the regss. Think I will try that right now.

o

you figured out by now that little blue box by the hi-lite is ie9 option 'accellerators' Somewhere thats switchable on/off. Might be in Manage Add-Ons in the gear menu

o

Yeah, mikie, you are right. I deleted that accelerator in the add-ons, but it still shows up. Don't know anything further to do. I tried the regss, but it didn't work for me in IE either (maybe I didn't do it correctly).

o
RE: Copy After Highlighting.

Albert, I think you have it right. I'll just forget about it and use Firefox when I want to read Gardenweb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here