Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does gardenweb prevent selecting text for print?

Posted by applefan (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 14:22

I'm on the Fruit and Orchard forum and in the past I was able to select text from a thread and just print out my selection. Now, however, following the same steps, all I get from the printer is an almost blank page with just the header line at the top of the page, identifying the topic,forum and message id and the bottom of the page with just the page number and date and time. The only way now that I can print out what I want is to look at the print preview and see which page has the nugget of wisdom that I want to print out and then to enter that page number in the appropriate box. What's going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does gardenweb prevent selecting text for print?

Just tried it with your post here and worked ok...highlight the post by clicking and dragging over the text you want..when finished, right click on the highlighted area and select Print

o

Some printers you will need to choose selection to print just an area

o

Yeah, that too...lol

o

I guess I wasn't clear enough because I already do what you both recommend - select by dragging and then choosing the selection button on print menu. It has worked in the past but not anymore.
genes - When I right click the selected area I don't get a print option on the pop up. The window offers Copy, Select All, Search Google.... View Selection Source and Inspect Element.
I think the problem isn't gardenweb now but rather it's the printer, an HP deskjet 5650 with its miserable online self-help, technician-free, cost-saving support system.

o

I see 2 options here. You can either remove and re-install the printer software to see if that fixes the issue. Or if you do not print too much simply copy and paste the info into a word processing program like Word or Wordpad and print.

o

I think I now see what is being shared.

In my FF11 if I highlight GW text and then right-click I too get the appearing window as AF's last post reported; no print or print preview.

In my IE9 if I highlight GW text and then right-click I get a more traditional appearing window including a Print and Print Preview option.

My Slimbrowser v6.081 is as IE9.

My Opera v11.62 and Chrome v18.0.1025.162 are like FF except having somewhat varying right-click windows.

My recollection is all the settings as to printing in these browsers are default.

DA

o
Forgot to Add

I tried other none GW sites with the same result.

DA

o

You didnt say what Browser you were using, what I gave were instructions for IE..Try this, click and drag to highlight the area then press Ctrl + P..Which should bring up your print window, then check print selection, then print

o

genes - Sorry to be slow in response. The browser is Firefox 11 and I think that's where the problem lies although I don't know how to fix it. I'm thinking I may have to delete and reinstall it.

o

dont delete,, you uninstall it in control panel or with something like RevoUninstaller.

when you delete programs... that why so many things dont work... even installed what you think is fresh next time

o

mikie - thanks for the warning.

o

It won't hurt anything to try, but I bet a nickel that a reinstall would change anything.

DA

o

I've FF11 and I tried a high-light select and print at the Nevada DMV site and got the blank page with a bit of header as described in the OP. I think this is the first time I tried high-light select and print with FF11.

o

DA - You're right that a reinstall won't fix it. Fortunately, Mozilla released a beta version of FF12 just today that supposedly fixes the problem.

o

FF12 beta 1 was released around March 16, 2012, followed by five more betas. The most recent beta 6 around April 18, 2012. A supposed final was released around April 22, 2012. I have read that there is some user confusion as to it being an actual final version, or just a RC (release candidate). I have also read some reported concerns regarding stability of this final/RC version. I myself am waiting for a clarification and a popular position on the release.

As always, with any application a user must use caution when exploring betas and RCs.

DA

o

DA - Thanks for the cautionary note. One user reported on the support forum that today's release at least worked to fix the printing problem that I have been encountering, but maybe I'll wait a bit before downloading it myself.

o
Upgrade Rejection

Imported from another thread.

Interesting event just now this morning.

Through the FF release channel it was reported an update was available for my system; specifically v12. I figured what the heck because it would be just busy work if there is indeed a problem with the new version. Well, my system failed to connect to the download site and it was recommended I retry. I did with still no success. I then closed FF and tried once more. The release channel updater reported that my FF 11 was the current version.

I am returning to my prior wait and see position.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here