Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Need suggestions for wood applications in Arts and Crafts home

ncamy
16 years ago

We are building a new (but hopefully authenic) arts and crafts style home on a small lot in a historical area. We plan to have a lot of stained woodwork and built ins. I'm OK with using normal oak flooring...in fact I prefer it. I like the look and the price. We do not want to use anything exotic or expensive. What do you suggest for the windows and trim work? I don't want pine because I don't want it to look "rustic" but rather crafted in the true sense of the time period. We are trying to make our house look like it was built in the 30s.

Also what kind of kitchen cabinetry do you think we should use? We've been leaning toward painted white wood cabinets with soapstone counters, but I'm not opposed to wood stained cabinets. The issue is that the kitchen is open to the dining room which is open to the living room. My husband has one piece of furniture that he is not willing to part with. It can be seen at http://www.hickorychair.com/product_detail.aspx?i=3587 Yes, I know that it doesn't quite fit in with the craftsman style home we are building, but he loves this sideboard and wants to keep it. I especially want a suggestion for the type of wood and stain to use for the wainscoting in the dining room that will both look like the arts and crafts authentic trim and blend with this traditional piece of furniture. I'm thinking that we shouldn't go too oakey since this piece is so formal yet we want everything to look handcrafted and we don't want our house to be formal.

We also plan to have either solid or boxed beams in one or more of the rooms. Any suggestions to what type of wood and stain to use? By the way I have several handcrafted antiques that have been in my family that we will be using in various other rooms of the house....a beautiful small chest which I believe is walnut (it was made from wood off my grandfather's farm) and a bedroom suit that is either mahogany or possibly black cherry also commissioned by my grandparents during the same time period.

Obviously we've never been the "matchy matchy" type but I do want things to blend. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Cost is a factor though we do plan on splurging on having stained versus painted woodwork.

Comments (7)

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Before you start making selections, it would be helpful to know what will be available to you in the real world. So, where will your millwork be coming from and what species do they offer it in?

After you find that out, you'll be able to choose from what's available. We went to building supply houses and millwork shops to look at their work. Of the choices USUALLY available, one that might meet your criteria is maple--either hard or soft (there's very little actual difference in the hardness or the two). It takes stains extremely well, is hard (therefore durable), takes very well to milling (can be shaped precisely) and is not as heavily grained as oak.

Ash is quite variable in its graining, but occasionally we get some that is even more heavily grained than oak. It wears out saw blades fast, so most millworkers don't like to work with it. There's not much demand for it and, contrary to economic theories, that has led to it being more expensive than it should be.

Poplar takes stains too unevenly, so mostly it is only used for painted woodwork. It's very inexpensive.

Cherry might be available in your area, though usually at a premium price. Sometimes you'll also have a good supply of beech, which is quite workable, but lacks the distinctive graining most folks want. You'll probably want a hardwood for durability, if no other reason.

We're using very simple Arts n Crafts trim with flat boards in different thicknesses to create shadow lines. Search this forum. There's been a fair amount of posting of photos and info. about the window and door trim. And in the kitchens photos you'll find some suitable cabinetry.

Try a search here for "door trim"; that's where a number of photos and links to other info. are.

Also, don't make any decisions without spending some time on the pro forums on the web. Pros, esp. up in the northeast, who do a lot of restoration, are very experienced in Arts n Crafts period work. They have been extremely helpful to me. One suggestion I got from several of them was to read Robert W. Lang's (wonderful!) book, Shop Drawings for Craftsman Interiors: Cabinets, Moldings & Built-Ins for Every Room in the Home. The pros I found will also talk (and post photos!) almost endlessly once you open up one of their favorite topics. Also search their previous posts and you'll find everything you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: look here

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

Check out quarter sawn oak for floors and cabinets. We have both and think they are great, plus quartersawn oak is a classis a & c wood. Also check out the American Bungalow website and you'll find pictures as wells as forums that you can post questions on about specific questions that you might have about that style. Good luck.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I agree with Carolyn...Quarter sawn oak, done in a Mission style hand-rubbed finish, would be my first choice...Douglas fir, 2nd, (I think most Craftsman homes here in the Pac NW have it, because it's native...Usually stained dark...See Robin_D's house, linked below. When at her page, click on "Home and Garden photos 2006" in the left column, then see her dark oak kitchen in "Mostly Finished Kitchen" she did to match the fir in the rest of the house. We're leaving ours natural, but we're after more of a Craftsman flavor, rather than complete authenticity.) Cherry would probably be an acceptable 3rd. I don't think of it in authentic A&C homes, but I've seen it in houses on these forums, and it looks wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin_D's albums

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I wouldn't rule out pine as white pine can be very low grain and a good grade would not have any knots or anything that would make it look rustic at all. I used it in my old house and had no issues for even staining and it was readily available from many sources in different types of moldings which I needed as I built up my molding using different pieces. If your budget won't allow the other choices then this would be a good fall back option.

I do suggest starting with the millwork places in your areas as pinktoes suggested.

• Denise Evans
    16 years ago

You can do alot with standard trim from window companies, ours came from Eagle windows in our Arts and Crafts home. Our doors were custom, but most millwork places can find something similar.

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/drevans_photos/?action=view&current=IMG_0927_1.jpg

• allison0704
    16 years ago

All pine does not look rustic. We used clear pine, some call it clear fir, on our trim. Our doors are also clear pine. No knots. We actually beat up everything to age it a bit for our home.

{{gwi:1518622}}

• foolyap
    16 years ago

Of the choices USUALLY available, one that might meet your criteria is maple--either hard or soft (there's very little actual difference in the hardness or the two). It takes stains extremely well, is hard (therefore durable), takes very well to milling (can be shaped precisely) and is not as heavily grained as oak.

I take mild exception to the staining comment. In my experience, maple does not look particularly good stained with a dark color. Being a very close-grained wood, it does not tend to absorb much pigment from stains. (I love the look of natural maple; we used it as flooring throughout the house, where it gradually yellowing to a nice patina.)

I would add that I think it's best, whenever possible, to figure out what kind of wood you want, and try to use that wood. Don't try to force alder to look like cherry, or maple like walnut, or oak like maple.

However, I know that budgets don't always cooperate. :-/ But, just keep in mind that if you fall in love with a particular "look", say "tobacco-brown quarter-sawn white oak", it may be difficult to achieve it with a different species of wood. It's best to try to find a "look" with the budget in mind from the beginning.

--Steve