Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stone Fireplace Surround Question/Request for Pics

Posted by omgwhatamidoing (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 8:28

Hello -

I have a question for those of you with stone fireplace surrounds. Did you use the same stone that you put on the exterior of your house or something different?

Although I love my exterior stone, I'm worried that I may get tired of it.

Also - please post pictures of your stone fireplace surrounds.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stone Fireplace Surround Question/Request for Pics

I'm glad you posted this because we are doing stone around ours as well and wasn't sure if it should be exterior stone. I've seen tile that looks like stone. We are doing white.

o

We have been going round and round on this also. We have decided to stick with the same stone for the exterior and the fireplace. I am not worried about getting tired of it. If you are then maybe it means you need to keep looking or are you settling with it? I don't think you have to match it. For quite some time we had 2 different ones chosen and didn't think twice about it. We ended up going the same just because it blended our other interior choices well which I didn't think it did until I had door samples of the built ins and the kitchen and then it became clear. Phew - run on sentence, sorry!

Karen-we like the look of that white also. I wonder if it's the same one. :) Ultimately though we are going with the ledgestone (partly due to cost).

o

Not a fireplace surround, but a wall behind our wood stove. We used the same stone, only we used a smaller more rectangular cut with imbedded larger pieces on the inside.
Interior:

Exterior:

o

Annie - do you have a sketch of the layout of your beautiful home? And, the width of the front? Thank you.

o

Annie-Your stone is beautiful! Do you mind sharing the type/brand? Stone is the last item I have to pick out and I'm running out of time :). Thanks!

o

I had the same question when I was looking at my stone selections. This is the stone I am using on my fireplace and we are probably going to use the same on the exterior. We have 19 foot ceilings in our Great Room so this will go all the way to the ceiling.

o

A "fireplace surround" is the decorative facing that surrounds a fireplace opening and is usually a polished or honed thin stone facing of granite or marble. Stacked or mortared field stone would be the structural material of which the fireplace and chimney are built.

Using these terms correctly might help you search for examples.

o

We used the same stone inside and out. I loved the stone, so why not!
Here is ours:

o

We used real stone that is sawn thin. It was New England field stone which we got from stoneyard.com. It really worked out well as about 90% of the landscape stone came from the ground where our foundation was dug and we needed it to match. It did, fortunately.

The other thing is, the look of the stone is really impacted by how tight the joints are and how much mortar shows. I saw this stone and didn't like it....or so I thought...until I saw it with tight joints.

o

If you scroll down through the thread linked below, you'll come across our drawings. I don't know the dimension off hand, and our architect asked that we publish the drawings without dimensions, but you can guesstimate from the size of the 2 car garage as to how wide the house is.

Here is a pic that shows the stone...the stuff on the foundation wall was purchased stone, the retaining walls are natural stones from our foundation pit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration to reality

o

Thanks so very much.

o

I don't think the interior stone has to match the exterior stone by any means. I would just select something that you love. I'm no designer, but that is just my opinion.

We are doing a white mantle with a glass tile surround for just around the fireplace unit.

o

Thanks Annie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here