Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Here! Please Help Me Make This House Smaller! Stressed...

Posted by Kathi67 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 16:20

I have been a lurker for many years, now it is my time to build and I have finally found house plans, but they are too big for my family of 2 teenagers and 2 adults. I love the kitchen, living room and master bedroom set up on this house. We want to build an approximately 2000 square foot home. We really don't need the dining room (we would probably never use it). I would love to have the fire place along the back wall in the living room and have the kitchen opened up a little more to the LR. Will someone please help me with a plan on making this house smaller so we can make it into our dream home?

Thank You So Much,

Kathi

HousePlans1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Here! Please Help Me Make This House Smaller! Stressed...

If this plan is too big, then you'd best start over. You need to really isolate what it is you like about this plan and then look for another that still gives you what you want. You've done that to some extent about the DR, but you need to do more... this plan is great if you have lots of land to build on as it sprawls so much. But the fact remains, the only way to eliminate sq footage is to eliminate sq footage. Can you give up the office? The atrium (I'm assuming that's what that is)? One of the 3 1/2 baths? the very large laundry room?

There are about a zillion home plans out there and one is sure to fit you're liking more...at which point you can then start tweaking it.

o
RE: New Here! Please Help Me Make This House Smaller! Stressed...

New poster accidentally posted twice. Let's consolidate any msgs to her on the other thread (linked below) so she doesn't have to try and keep up with both.

Thanks everybody

Here is a link that might be useful: other thread on same topic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here