Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathi67_gw

Please Look at This Floor Plan!! Help Me Make it Smaller!

Kathi67
11 years ago

I have been a lurker for many years, now it�s time for us to build our dream home.

We have finally found a house plan that we love with one major problem; it is too big for a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We want to build approximately 2000 sq. feet. We do not need the dining room and only need 2.5 baths. The room in front of the master bedroom can be either moved around somewhere or removed. I love the master bedroom, kitchen, LR set up and that the house has the split bedroom design. Will someone please help me make this house into my dream home? Any ideas, sketches, plans etc. would be helpful.

{{gwi:1490213}}

Comments (5)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

You could eliminate the "office" with the 3/4 bath, slide the MBR and bath down to make the plan a rectangle on that side and put the office area (minus bath) where the DR is.

I would rework the hallway by the garage entry if possible to make the powder room accessible from that hallway instead of from the back of the house.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum! I see you accidentally posted the same message twice. No big deal but two threads by the same member on the same topic can be a hassle for you and for anyone who gets into a conversation with you. So I've taken the liberty of linking the other thread to this one for you. That way any responses will show up here and the other thread will quickly "disappear" form view.

As for the plan you posted, how many square feet is the original? How many square feet do you need/want to remove?

Making plans smaller can sometimes be difficult but Pamplisest has given you some great advice for cutting this one down. Doing what she suggested would give you this....

Also, do you want to keep the upstairs bonus room? If you don't want it, getting rid of the staircase (and lowering the pitch of the roof) would allow you to cut more square footage and probably save significant amounts in building the house.
    But, there are hundreds of very similar plans out there that may already be exactly what you're looking for. I suspect that if you advanced searches on most sites for one-story, 2000 sq ft max, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, split bedrooms, you'll find dozens of plans that you like.

Again, welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us.

• Kathi67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your help they are both great ideas. The origional plan is approximately 3000 sq feet and I am wanting to remove approx. 1000 sq feet. I love the new concept. I would really love to have a door from the master bedroom onto the back patio, if that can be done. I want to keep the bonus room, but was trying to figure out how I can redo the kid�s side of the house to make the back wall flush with the back wall of the kitchen nook, and make the bathroom and a smaller laundry room better accessible?

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

If you are purchasing this plan usually the company can make it smaller for a fee.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

Cutting 1000 sq ft from a 3000 sq ft design is serious surgery. You're talking about removing ONE-THIRD of the original! I'm not sure the patient would survive. LOL!

Below are a few links to some other split-bedroom designs with bonus room that you might want to look at. I'm thinking that rather than mutilate this plan, you might find one of these equally or more attractive. Or, even if not, looking at them might help you to define more accurately what it is you like about the plan you originally posted.

Is it the big secondary bedrooms? the walk-in closets for kid's bedrooms? the Jack&Jill bath? the big laundry room? the locations of windows? the exterior style (which we haven't seen)? Something particular about the layout besides than the split-bedrooms and bonus room above the garage?

Once we know what is really important to you, we can help you find (or maybe even design from scratch) a smaller plan that will meet your needs.

2091 sq ft Ranch with 349 sq ft bonus over angled garage

1882 sq ft Country with 363 sq ft bonus One could split the large dining room to make an office off of the foyer and a utility room off the kitchen which would allow for a nice mud-room with cubbies at the garage entry.

2000 sq ft Country with 359 sq ft bonus. Huge, VERY OPEN Great Room/Kitchen/Eating area.

I will tell you that, even if you WANTED a 3000 sq ft split-bedroom home with a formal dining room, I wouldn't be terribly enthusiastic about the design you posted. I don't like the garage sticking out, front and center, like a giant snout. Even tho it is a side-load garage, it seems like the garage, especially with a bonus room above it, would totally overwhelm the front entry. Plus the overall layout gives me the impression that someone designed a one bedroom house and then thought, "oh darned, we totally forgot about bedrooms for the kids... well, no problem, we can just stick them on over here on the side and while we're at it, we'll add on a laundry room and turn the one we had at the front into an office." Perhaps an elevation drawing would make me change my mind but, somehow, the overall plan just doesn't seem to have been very well thought out. Just my opinion.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz