Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kapustak8

Red metal roof...what color for siding/trim?

coffeehaus
16 years ago

I'm infatuated with red for our choice of metal roofing. We'll also have red windows, and probably a red front door. What I am unsure of is what color to do the Hardi-type siding and trim? Here's some photos of our "inspiration" house. Our style will be similar. While I like this scheme, I'm also looking for options that are a little different. Green (sage or spruce)? Brown?Suggestions and photos would be wonderful!

Comments (19)

• caminnc
    16 years ago

How about red, white and black (or brown).

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

Sage green would be good too. I love that red roof!

Shaker Woods Farm

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    16 years ago

Or cedar siding (I googled "red metal roof" Images.

scroll down to Red Roof Horse Barn on Mountain Barns Gallery

Claire

• persnicketydesign
    16 years ago

I think sandyponder used sage Hardie with red windows, but she didn't have the metal roof. Her house looks awesome! Try a search for one of her posts. It could give you an idea of what the window and siding colors would look like together.

I've always loved red metal roofs with white siding. Here's a link to one that's for sale up the street.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red roof with white siding

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Caminnc...stunning house, but I think I'm a little more inclined to earth-tone colors, especially with our incredibly red clay soil here which seems to infiltrate everything. White siding or parging would quickly become orange-red!
    Claire...funny, I did a Google image search, too, and saw that same horse barn! Beautiful! It could be a painting. But we're pretty much sold on cementatious siding material, so cedar is out. I do like the sage green on that first picture, however. And what a lovely setting!

• amyks
    16 years ago

I love your roofing choice! I know Denise 54 has a beautiful craftsman style home, no red roof, but she used cedar color and green trim around her windows, which would imo look beautiful with your roof choice. I hope my link works.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• amyks
    16 years ago

coffeehaus, here's another link with different hardi colors on it. Page down to see sandyponder's house with the mountain sage and red windows that persnicketydesign was referring to. It is gorgeous. This link should give you some ideas, anyway. Stanza also has nichiha siding and a gorgeous cedar color trimmed in red, I'll try to find a link to that as well. Then I have to do laundry...snooz....

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: hardi thread

• amyks
    16 years ago

I was wrong, stanza isn't trimmed in red, but her house is gorgeous. There is another one on this thread called blade_garadener, their choice is pretty with the green trim.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: shakes

• amyks
    16 years ago

This thread is old, but fun to look at some posters beautiful homes. None have red roofs, but you can always get some ideas!!

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: old house fronts thread

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Hardiplank can be stained in a cedar color if you wanted to go that route.

Stained hardi

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, amyks! Loved ogling all of those houses...and I got some good ideas. Especially liked the reno/addition by mightanvil. I see in the "Shakes" link that you used Hardi shingles. Did you stain them, like blade_gardener, or paint them? I didn't know that you could stain Hardiplank to look like real wood. Thought that it had to be painted. Hope you got your laundry done!
    Persickety...now that I see sandyponder's house, I do remember it because of the color combo. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looks great!

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lyfia, you answered my question as I was posting. Do you have any insight on the maintenance of stained Hardiplank? Same as painted as far as restaining/repainting frequency?

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

I remembered this one from Donald Gardner's website. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Roof

• lyfia
    16 years ago

coffeehaus - sorry no input on how well it last as compared to paint. I really like the look though and would love to try it on something. However in my area with wood the stain always lasts better than paint. Not sure about cement siding though there are several on here that have done the stain part.

I think one of the links above have a house with the stained cementious siding (shingle style) and I think zone8_grandma is another that have stained.

• slahgirl
    16 years ago

Coffeehaus-
    Got any floor plans for your inspriation house? Or something similar??
    Been looking for something JUST like this!

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slahgirl...I love that Craftsman influence. It just says "home" to me. Our plans were done by an architect and reflect only the exterior of the "Inspired" house, but here's a link to the origin of that house. Perhaps you could contact them for information about floor plans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kingma EarthCraft house

• slahgirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Coffee!
    I appreciate the info!

• belflowerd
    8 years ago

Can someone tell what the colors are on the house in the first picture. I am looking for colors and I love those colors. The siding and the hardi plank, the darker wood that is an accent. thanks

• coffeehaus
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whoa, Belflowerd! You have dug up an old post. I cannot tell you the colors on the initial Kingma house pictured, but I CAN tell you what we used and it is close. For the lighter color, we used BW Shaker Beige and for the contrasting shingles, BW Alexandria Beige. We had not planned this, but the Shaker Beige matched the garage doors nearly perfectly...something to think about. Also, while I love the results, if I had to do it over again, I would choose an even darker color for the shingles for more contrast. Here's a link to the finished house, before landscaping.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pNWSAC8QjRg/ShsxA1JDATI/AAAAAAAAHr8/YXTALGMUT3k/s1024-Ic42/IMG_0681.JPG

Hope that helps!