Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

What are your thoughts on these bathroom layouts?

enduring
12 years ago

I have an ugly old BR that is off of my newly remodeled kitchen. I would like to remodel the bathroom in the next year. I have some ugly pics of the current BR and several sketches of the existing floor plan, several new alternatives, and a quick perspective of my favorite plan.

I would like your opinion on the layout, recommendations you might have, & etc.

Old old BR:

{{gwi:1401429}}

{{gwi:1401427}}

Existing floor plan:

{{gwi:1500416}}

New plan #1:

{{gwi:1500417}}

New plan #2:

{{gwi:1500418}}

Plan #2 perspective sketch:

{{gwi:1500419}}

Plumbing will be relocated. New wiring to be done. I haven't got the specifics for the medicine cabinet and scones yet. I want to know if there are any issues or changes needed for my basic layout alternatives.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Is it necessary for the tub plumbing to be in that box? It can't go in the wall?

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The wall with the toilet is an outside wall as is the wall with the window of course.

The "box" would house the plumbing as well as function as a storage cabinet. This feature is in the original layout and I like the storage. I do not want to put a 6' tub in this space because I feel it would visually overwhelm the space. While a 5.5' tub may work, the 5' tub leaves enough room to have this functional cabinet with a sizable counter top. It has historically been a great place to change baby diapers.

Unless someone can point out a reason that is a better solution to the cabinet, I will keep it.

Another point I wonder about - is it goofy to keep the toilet behind the door like in the original plan? I hate it that the door hits the stool and can only open 90degrees. Also I think that moving it down the wall towards the tub gives more space on either side for handicapped accessibility if that should ever be needed. Please advise on this issue too.

This is a family farm home that has been in the family for 3 generations, since the 30s. We anticipate at least one more generation to live in this house. This remodel needs to function for years. This is a hard working bathroom and I am planning to use durable materials.

I've added a link to my bathroom post, placed a week or so ago, about bathtub recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Advise wanted please on durable tub options

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Actually, I wasn't thinking so much about a longer tub, but rather that it would be nice to have a tad more space at the head end of the tub so that you can recline more comfortably. But if you like what you've got, then that's already settled. :)

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Writersblock, I would love to recline more in the occasional bath that I take. Do you have ideas that would allow a 5.5' bath, as well as maintain functional counter space. I want to keep the toilet on that wall because the room door provides a bit of screening if it is opened part way.

The tub and cabinet function well as it is but, a 5.5' tub would be great. If I could make the sink counter longer there might be room to work at the sink. But I would have to see if there would still be room for the built in tower doors to open and be big enough to "change a diaper". That is my real goal here with the counter space, to change that diaper:) It was SO HANDY when my kids were small to change diapers in this bath.

I plan on fashioning soapstone counters for the sink and the cabinet. I did this with my DH's help in the kitchen and they turned out great. I just got a great deal on remnant soapstone for this bath remodel. A fabricator located nearby sold me remnant pieces for $5/sf. I loved working with the soapstone. It is very easy to cut, epoxy, fit, etc.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

No shower?

I think you could get a lot more storage in this bathroom if you wanted, or do you want to retain some of the open floor space?

I would definitely move the toilet away from the door.

Have you tried rotating the tub ninety degrees and putting it along the length of the bathroom?

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Pal, I thought about the rotation, didn't draw it out though. I wondered if it would be too intrusive to walk into the room because it would line up with the entry. I didn't want to build a wall for the alcove tub either. I could try drawing this up tomorrow.

A free standing bath would be beautiful. But I am concerned about user friendliness, both the very young and me, getting into the older age range. I originally thought about taking the tub out totally and putting in a shower, but those darned kids have fond memories of taking summer tub baths after a long day of dirty play! Then there is the occasional large dog bath. I even considered putting a cast iron laundry sink in this room instead of a BR cabinet with counter. But I want the room to have more of a bath look instead of a utility room look. It is the restroom that everyone uses first on this working farm. My kitchen, just redone, is next to this BR so I wanted the BR to reflect some of the character of the kitchen. For example, I have plans for the casing to be changed to match the new casing in the kitchen. The BR cabinet I thought would look nice on the opposite wall than the kitchen cabinet. They are within 6 or 7' of each other. I thought it would be a nice visual mirroring effect. As you stand at the sink you look to your Rt and behind, there through, the door would be the BR cabinet, in a painted version of the kitchen cabinet. Don't tell Marcolo but I think this bath is turning out in my minds eye to be the OTBR (for those not in the know, that would be the BR equivalent to One True Kitchen :)

Thanks again Pal for stimulating the process of design!

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm thinking about the question Palimpsest asks about the storage space. I have a cabinet that is free standing that is not shown in this plan. It is about 10" deep x 36" wide x 48" tall. I currently keep it where the new designed sink is located. I thought I'd put this cupboard behind the BR door to the side of the toilet. That would increase my storage. I do like the open area of the bath otherwise.

Are there other thoughts on increasing storage? I could consider a floor to ceiling closet maybe - behind the door? BTW the ceiling is around 6.5 or 7' in height. Its kind of a cute height.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Well, my thought was to use a 5 ft tub, but build out the wall a bit (in other words instead of the box you have now, go up to the ceiling with it and make it a bit narrower. That would allow a small ledge at the end of the tub to give you a place to put your head and you could put shelving in it that opens to the side. If you need the plumbing to be in the box, you could still shelve above it.

However, I think you need to think pretty hard about priorities here. In your other thread it sounds like this is for dog washing, mudding, etc., in which case I wouldn't get too fancy. I take it there are other bathrooms?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

You could have a short knee wall at the back of the tub rather than a full wall, essentially being able to place a 3-wall alcove tub in the lengthwise position.

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please comment on my additional plans for layout:

plan#3:
    with pony wall
    {{gwi:1500420}}

plan#4:
    flipped the tub (like plan #2)
    {{gwi:1500422}}

Plan #5:
    pedestal tub
    {{gwi:1500424}}

plan #6:
    toilet back in corner
    {{gwi:1500425}}

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Plan 3, No. Not enough room, even for code, between toilet and knee wall. If you took that bath layout and moved toilet to where sink is, then that might work.

I like plan 6 best; except move your plumbing for tub to sink wall. Then, you can have a nice continuous counter, if you want.

Also, I would put a premium on getting a shower in there--a shower/bath combo would be fine, and would allow full bath status, and on my farm--baths were nice when you were little, but not one of us bathes now. And, if you have a large dog, it would be nice to use a shower wand to clean them off.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Whichever one you pick, if anyone actually takes baths in the tub, I personally would infinitely prefer having the toilet bowl at the faucet end of the tub instead of next to my head when sitting in the tub, for the layouts with the toilet right next to the tub.

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kirkhall, thanks for your input. Plan #3 was a drawing to see how the layout suggested by another poster would look.

We have another bath/shower near the bedrooms. So, in this kitchen BR, the only thing that I would consider at this time, is a spray nossle at the tub level. That would be very helpful. This BR is not a good place for taking daily baths/showers as it is in a public part of the house. At one time it was the only bath in the house but years ago an addition was built with another full bath. So this tub will funtion as a future grandkid bath, dog bath, utility tub, and the rare bath for adults. This is a larger bath than the other full bath but not a handy location for daily bathing use. I do want to make this lovely though, and will consider it my "lovely" bath.

The Cabinet holding the plumbing is also a funtional cabinet so if both sink and this plumbing cabinet were joined it wouldn't be ussable for storage.

In plan #6 the toilet behind the door looks awkward to me and again there would be the issue of banging the door on the toilet.

BTW, I had considered a pocket door but one wall is too short and the other has a built in feature in the kitchen that shares the space with the built in tower in the bath.

I'm still thinking plan #2 is my best option.

Anyone else have ideas they'd like to share?

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Writersblock, what a great suggestion! I am partial to that tub/toilet layout but didn't think about that situation you mentioned, LOL.