Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Window Dilemma

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

I will be remodeling my master bath and replacing the 5 x 5 garden window that is behind my tub - probably will be using using casement windows since that's what we have in the rest of the house. I plan to eliminate the tub platform and use a freestanding tub which is 72" long by 24" high. Problem is that there is a porch roof directly under the window, which mars the view. So I figure I have 2 options:

(1) Use a window that sits high on the wall and does not show the porch roof, such as the ones in this pic - but then what do I do with the blank wall between the tub and window - it looks vacant?

Contemporary Bathroom by Edina General Contractors REFINED LLC

(2) Put in a regular height window, but screen the view with shutters or a top down shade on the lower portion of the window. I'm not sure that would look right in a contemporary space.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Comments (8)

• emma
    9 years ago

I think it is beautiful the way it is, but maybe more so when you remodel.

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

As I understand it, the photo isn't of your current bathroom, but is your inspiration picture.

Either option would be fine. If going with option #1, the space would be perfect for a piece of wall sculpture.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

We are still in the process of our part DIY MB remodel and put in two hurricane glass picture windows. I have the opposite problem in that I need to block the upper view from a two story house behind me. I found a large print vintage look fabric that I loved and planned on having custom made top down bottom up shades done. At the last minute I decided to commission my sister to do painted glass panels for the top portions of the windows using my fabric as inspiration (panels are framed). The framed art glass panels will hang from hooks within the inside of upper windows. On the lower portion IâÂÂm using an outside mount top down bottom up natural sea grass shade. I canâÂÂt wait to get my art glass panels and like that I will have privacy but always have some light coming in. However, since the shades are top down bottom up I can block it all out if I want.

So, another idea would be to hang stained glass panels or art glass on the bottom of your windows to hide a view.

• saemom25
    9 years ago

Have you considered ordering the windows with an obstructed glass pattern? Many window companies offer this as an option that let's in lots of natural light and doesn't negate your window warranty, like putting on an after-market coating might. I like the art glass option too. Full disclosure - I work for a major, international window manufacturer, but I'm in the middle of a MB remodel myself and am considering some of these issues as well. Best of luck with your project.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Like the idea of a high window and think you could use the lower wall space for some sort of hanging storage system.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

We are also planning on a freestanding tub and I had considered a high window kind of like a transom. I was going to put some floating shelves for towels and toiletries storage under it.

Now I am planning a freestanding tub with a window like Beekeeperswife did in this post:
    this:http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg011607159762.html

Beekeeperswife has a larger tub, mine will be a 66 long and a 48 inch window. I want my window to be a little lower and we will add a marble window sill to place toiletries on.

I will probably do 2 inch white blinds or plantation shutters for privacy along with the curtains on each side.

Beekeeperswife bathroom ->

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm not sure obscure or stained glass will work because I do want to see the tree tops, and since we will have casement windows, we would have to do the entire glass panel - no way to split the the top/bottom.

The hanging storage system is a great idea, but not sure how I could make it fit into a contemporary space.

jterrilynn's sea grass top down blinds sound nice - I thought honeycomb blinds were the only option for that type of shade.

If I do the high windows, I may just run a piece of wood trim across the blank wall - planning on a walnut vanity so using walnut there might be nice and add just a bit of interest.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Numbersjunkie, MyBlinds has a âÂÂTropicsâ collection made of grasses, reeds, jutes, and exotic yarns that are carefully woven into elegant, sophisticated patterns (copied that part from site). You can get this collection in top down bottom ups. I chose Sombesa.

It reminds me more of a grass in that it has a more delicate understated look compared to some of the heavier picks in this line. My walls are a very pale cream so these will just give a little texture in a close to same color. The online color shows a bit darker than the sample in real life.
    IâÂÂm hoping it will look like this after I mount the art glass over my windows with hanging hooks.

This is the fabric I love but my sister is going to do her interpretation of it for the art glass. I love her work because it looks just like stained glass but with more flexibility for custom.