Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livingreen2013

Freestanding tub suggestions?

livingreen2013
11 years ago

Any suggestions, recommendations or photos you have for freestanding soaker bathtubs? We're looking for at least 72", as wide as there can be, as deep as it can be, and would like there to be an even curve on both ends for 2 comfortably. We've looked at the Vingage Kohler tub- any other brand suggestions out there? Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (24)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

check out MTI tubs. you can see lots of tubs at www.tubz.com the prices posted are retail you have to call I think for the real price but a good place to see lots of different brands of tubs.

We have a York tub by Victoria + Albert. It's a soaker tub with the double ended version that means it's the same on each side with the faucet in the middle that is like a hang up telephone. It is on a pedestal and not a claw foot but sort of looks like one otherwise. So check out Victoria + Albert tubs as well.

signaturehardware.com has lots of tubs but they are imports and don't have much info about how they would hold up but the prices are good.

Bain has tubs too. It might be Bain Ultra. Anyway, you could start browsing these. My all time favorite tub is the MTI Linda tub. If money were no object I would have gotten one with the build in ambient heat that is throughout the tub. When you lean against the back it feels so warm and heavenly but it was very pricey. I moved on to the Victoria + Albert to find a similar style, it was still expensive but nothing like the MTI tubs. I like it but it is kind of narrow. Be sure you sit in one if you can before buying. I find that since the sides are so tall it is a little bit of a challenge to get out of! I just make sure to be careful since it's slippery too. So far so good!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Here's mine.

It's huge.

I showed my builder a picture of this tub. we were supposed to order & pay for it ourselves, but they went ahead and got it for us, or had the plumber order it. So I can't guarantee it is this exact one, but they said it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strom Mammoth

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the suggestions guys! We'll definitely be checking out all of your recommendations. Have you ever wished for a whirlpool type tub instead? We're in a debate that changes ever 5 seconds in our minds. :) Also, beekeeperswife- what is that gorgeous tile in your bathroom? Is it real marble, or a ceramic? Beautiful!

• pps7
    11 years ago

They make whirlpool freestanding tubs! Why choose?

We bought out tub from the vintage tubs website.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I have a slipper tub, will try to find a photo but Photobucket is acting up right now. Can fit two, assuming you are friendly.

But honestly I think, especially if I assume your guest may be a ... gentleman caller ... slipper tubs are too narrow for their shoulders. A more rectangular shape is more generous.

I am eying this one for a new project:

{{!gwi}}

PS A vote against jets, which we had in our last house. First of all, in a normal size bathtub, the jets are too close IMHO and you just feel pummeled after a while. Plus, I think they tend to harbor bacteria. Its not like a hot tub where you use chlorine or salt. I vote no. Oh and toooo noisy as well.

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what I have been looking for! What was the name? I'm so excited at the thought!

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux- that tub is gorgeous! Where is it from? The cleaning of a jet tub is definitely a concern of ours. We plan to someday have a hot tub, so does having that replace the need for jets in the tub? Decisions, decisions. :)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I think the air bubbles are nicer than older jet style. Much quieter and soothing. We are doing this one - Maax Versailles. DH found it very comfortable when we tried it. The nice thing is that the water comes up much higher than the other freestanding tubs.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Where will you put the faucet? I watched Sarah R put it on the front side "to celebrate the jewelry" she said. I do not understand this from a practical side. Why block the view, why leave yourself so little space to get in and out? mtnrdredux that is a beautiful tub. We decided against jets..but I still wonder if I made the right decision. There are times a bubbly soak would be so relaxing!!

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I remember seeing that episode of Sarah R! I agree about the faucet- we're all about practicality and also have 4 little kids. I can see how the air bubble option could be a happy medium for us. I grew up with a jet tub at my parents' house and loved it, but now I am seeing the downsides of cleaning. Anyone else have experience of prefering the jet, air bubble or soaking tub option? I'm just afraid if I go one route over the other I'll always wonder about the other. Alas, I just need to make the decision and be done with it. :)

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This it he link to a Kohler drop-in tub that's also in the running. I'm a big fan of the simplicity, size and depth of water, but again, still wonder about not having to do a whole tile built-around option and going with a freestanding. Anyone have any experience with Kohler?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler tub

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry, i was away from the laptop.

I think it is Waterwork IIRC. Bad news, it is about $9k. That said, it has been around a few years and Id imagine someone somewhere has done a knock off or a look alike?

I don't know about air bubbles --- our jetted tub was from thr PO. I am sure they are better. But for me, id rather a low-tech tub - the jets tend to look bad after a while, and a tub can look new forever.

• sparklebread
    11 years ago

This is our tub....still waiting for it's permanent home. Very comfy w/out water, BUT I do agree it may not be a tub for the wider shoulder person. This is the 61". Wish I would have gone with the 72" for a little more leg room. For what it's worth, the finish and feet are gorgeous. Hopefully it will be installed next week and I can #1 use it and #2 post a pic!! (sunrise specialty -double slipper)

• sparklebread
    11 years ago

will post install pic w/ tub

This post was edited by sparklebread on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 8:45

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Here is some more tub info, in the link

Here is a link that might be useful: tub tales

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

sorry meant to add this link

close to empire, and only 2250 vs 9500

Here is a link that might be useful: another option

• lexmomof3
    11 years ago

Here's the acrylic version of the one that mtnrdredux posted and it's only $1500. I'm pretty sure we're going with this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: tub

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

NIce find, Lexmom. Hydro systems also makes a similar profile.

Note that even the Empire from Waterworks is not cast iron, surprisingly. They say it is made from a "secret formula". My guess is they would make no secret if the materials sounded upscale ... probably acrylic mixed with pixie dust!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Livinggreen,

I think freestanding vs drop in is mostly a style preference, thought you would have more cost to box one in.

IN re hot tubs vs jetted tubs. Yes, I think having a hot tub is one reason I don't feel the need for a jetted bathtub. Of course, if the hot tub is outside and you live in a cold climate, you may not have the hot tub run all year. In our last house the hot tub and the pool shared the same heating system, so when we closed the pool Oct-Apr, no hot tub. Now our hottub and pool are indoors.

• Kate1313
    11 years ago

beekeeperswife...

What type of faucet did you use for your free standing tub? Also, I noticed the hole in the back of it. Is that were the faucet is suppose to go but you put it at the front instead? I want to replace our tub with a free standing and would need to do the same so we do not have to update the plumbing lines!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

We got the Maax Versailles as it was really deep and my husband said it fit him best. It is a acrylic with clawfeet and I ordered it online from Quality bath

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

hi kate1313,

That is a drain/overflow you see. The faucet is freestanding, so I opted not to put it in the center. I figured it would bug me every time I was in there--wanted it far away. And if you sit at the other end, it does just swing out of the way--like a kitchen faucet.

The faucet is by Cheviot. Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheviot faucet from Vintage Tub & Bath

• jentrex
    11 years ago

We are installing the Maax Ella in our new build. However, it is only 66".

This post was edited by jentrex on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 19:17

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths