Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglerockhome

affordable carrara marble subway tile or lookalike?

eaglerockhome
16 years ago

I would love to do our new shower with 3x6 carrarra marble tile (gray preferably, although white would work, too). Everything I have seen is so expensive. Does anyone have suggestions for an affordable version of this tile? Or suggestions for a tile that has the look of carrara marble but is made of a cheaper material? Ideally would like to do a matching hex tile on the floor, but that would just be a big plus. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• rileycat
    16 years ago

We had a similar problem. The smaller tiles are always more expensive. We finally found a brushed carrara at a local tile store (Best Tile) that was in stock and discounted a bit. I think we paid $13/sq foot. It was a pretty small space, so we splurged. You might find some deals in the in stock section of the tile stores.

• blondelle
    16 years ago

maestromosaics.com has a 3 X 6 carerra subway tile for $10 a sq. foot. Try dtglasstiles.com for the carerra hex. You can ask who they sell to in your area. Their tiles are well priced.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

There's a real easy way to get MUCH cheaper 3x6 carrera. However, it DOES have its drawbacks. First, it'll most likely only be found in honed or polished-- not tumbled. Secondly, the tiles will have to be installed one at a time, instead of on sheets. Just get 12x12's and cut them down! It might cost you for your installer's time, but I'd be willing to bet it'd still be alot cheaper. OR, you could rent a wet saw and cut them down yourself and REALLY save.

• shaughnn
    16 years ago

I'll echo Bill V.'s suggestion. I just had this same conversation with the local Pratt & Larson showroom and we determined that cutting down 12"x12" tiles to the dimension you desire is more cost effective than trying to find and pay for a pre-cut material. I was also considering Thassos marble and determined that this was the case also.
    Best of luck,
    Shaughnn

• skogkatt
    16 years ago

Flyleft, from your post I'm wondering if you are in Portland area. If so, I have a question for you. We are dropping down to Portland this week to visit kids. We are in final stages of plan for master bath remodel. We've visited many(maybe most) in Seattle and So. Sound area. Do you know the best bath show rooms in greater Portland area? Thanks, Skogkatt

• warren_tile
    15 years ago

Floorzbuzz sells 3x6' Subway Marble Carrara $7.50SF, it is stocked in Atlanta and if you are local you can pick up. They also sell matching Hexagon, Basket weave and Octagon Mosaics as well as trim for a really low price. They are so easy to work with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorzbuzz

• tilemarbleguy14
    15 years ago

I tried shopping at Floorzbuzz but there price online was $9.00 and the marble they had named as Carrara actually comes from Alabama and was really black and grey in veining. Not Carrara at all. However I did find another site called venatocarraramarble and there web address is http://www.venatocarraramarble.com/
    They are actually selling Subway 3x6' for $7.00SF and for 1' Hexagon Mosaic $10.75SF

Here is a link that might be useful: Venato Carrara Marble

• warren_tile
    15 years ago

I had a look at Venato Carrara Marble and it is actually part of BuildersDepotDirect.Com and they have a huge selection of Carrara products from $7.00SF for Subway 3x6" - I bought 250SF and it is perfect in everyway and beautifully beveled. I recommend this website to everyone. They also sell Carrara Hexagon Mosaic $10.75SF.

Here is a link that might be useful: BuildersDepotDirect

• kitty97
    13 years ago

We are planning to tile our bathroom with carrara-like tile as well, and the best price we've found is at Home Depot. They have a white marble tile called Grecian White in 3x6 subway tiles for $5.49/sq. ft. They also have several coordinating tiles in different sizes and shapes. The tile edges are not beveled, so you don't get the nice "pillowed" look, but you can't beat the price.

• warren_tile
    13 years ago

Hi guys, I went online at home depot and it was $10.49SF and then you get hit with tax - the online companies are tax free (I love it!). The other problem - Home Depot's product is only polished and it is mostly plain white - I should know I am returning 120SF today an absolute paid. Polished plain white marble - I can get that online for just $5.50SF from Builders Depot Direct.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polished 3x6

• tilemarbleguy14
    13 years ago

We are all discussing Builders Depot Direct and their $7.00SF Carrara Subway Tile and their $10.95SF Carrara Hexagon but I just wanted you to all see a bathroom installation of the product. In looks incredible, you cannot beat the price or the quality. I will post more pictures soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct Carrara Subway & Hexagon

• mary_smith
    13 years ago

OMG! That is fabulous I love it. I have just ordered samples of the 3x6" and Subway Tile. The sample section is not the easiest to find (Builders Depot Direct needs to work on making that better). I have put a link at the bottom to the sample section. I will be shocked if I can buy that tile for $7SF and it is showing on their other site www.thebuilderdepot.com the carrara Hexagon is $10.95SF free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samples of Carrara 3x6

• tilemarbleguy14
    13 years ago

Hello Mary - I think I have worked out how to post pictures, so I will give it a go. Here is the picture of the 3x6" and Carrara Hexagon from buildersdepotdirect.com. For just $7SF and $10.95SF for the Hexagon. Mary, make sure you email or call for a shipping quote - they can get you 4 or 5 freight options and it can be a lot cheaper than buying online (they are very easy to talk to and knowledgeable). The guy I deal with is called John � I hope he does not mind me putting his email here it is john(at)buildersdepotdirect.com

Here is a link that might be useful: $7SF Carrara 3x6

• oldhomeowner_2007
    13 years ago

tilemarbleguy14 - I love your bathroom. Do you or anyone else have any regrets about using marble in your shower? It looks beautiful but I am concerned about the mainntenance and how it will look over the years. Can someone tell me if sealing it is laborious?

• tilemarbleguy14
    13 years ago

Hi oldhomeowner, I just use a real high quality sealer - once every ten years. So not a big deal.

• looking4calacatta
    12 years ago

I was looking for Calacatta Subway tile thebuilderdepot.com will have Calacatta Subway tile in July for $12.95SF - it was a bit expensive for my budget so looked at their Bianco Carrara it has the similar white base I was looking for in a Calacatta. Great price - you should buy a sample first then you can see if the product is what you are looking for - we bought 1SF first then bought 190SF + 80SF in 1x2" Basketweave polished. Here is a picture of their product - I was happy, it looked identical to the picture and the 190SF of 3x6" matched the sample. Very nerve racking buying online that much marble - but they had great reviews online. The shipping was just $125.00 we had it shipped to a terminal 20 mins drive away.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Builder Depot

• p42stelley_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello what color of paint is on the walls? looks great!

• jquandary
    12 years ago

Please Note: I searched the forum for information on Builder's Depot and there are posts that appear to be disingenuous from tilemarbleguy14, warren_tile, looking4calacatta, and maybe mary_smith. These posts that add little value to the forum are becoming very common on-line and make me very hesitant to use this company. These people are not adding to the conversation and appear to be more interested in selling goods

Do not take my word for it, please judge for yourself...
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0414335227976.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0818033829787.html

Notice anything fishy????

• desertdweller740
    12 years ago

Maybe a little late to chime in on this, but I thought I would tell people what I learned lately first hand. There is a company called "student experts" that hires English students to lurk around forums such as these and post phony glowing reviews of products. They pay these kids $20 for 350 words.

Jquandry is right in checking around and seeing what other posts these 'glowing endorsers' are posting. And the moderators of forums need to start policing this a little better. I moderate a forum (a completely different subject) and I look for new members who post glowing reviews in a short span of time. and label them as possible phony reviews.

• Hilltown44
    11 years ago

Hi,

New to the forum & have read all the posts on The Builders Depot prior to putting in an order.

To cut though the prior stuff IâÂÂve read:

First, this is not a fake post - I am a real U.S. born Citizen. English is my first language. I am remodeling the baths and kitchen in my New England Farmhouse . I am not in the building trade (though I was 20 years ago), I don't sell tile, I'm not friends with or related to people who sell tile nor am I paid to endorse and kind brand or company related to tile. I want to add that I have been an artisan/craftsman/artist/designer (with two professional degrees) for over 40 years & can trust my eye.

I was going to wait to publish a pic of the installation, but after reading the various threads, I had to add my experience to dateâ¦

I took a month to investigate buying marble tile on-line, which seemed like it could be to be a treacherous affair. My (the best IMHO) installer strongly recommended using real Italian marble. I first visited several tile shops recommended by my installer but $14-$22 sf for 3x6 was too much As a result I went on-line searching for Carrara Bianco, the marble I liked best of all that I saw.

During the process I narrowed the search to three suppliers. More then once I talked to directly to David at The Builders Depot. I ordered samples from everyone & then showed them to my installer. He immediately gravitated to the samples from the Builders Depot (my choice, too). The ordering process and delivery to a nearby UPS depot was quick ands seamless. There are some pics in this thread (and many others in other threads) of Carrara Bianco & that is what I received, too �" just like the samples. As one example of quality, when I compared moldings the chair & base moldings, the samples from The Builders Depot stood out as better designed and cut. Okay, this may be subjective, but several others in thre trades have backed me up on this.

Overall, IâÂÂm very pleased to date and would say my expectations have been positively met. All this being said, I would expect (and hope) that anyone buying on-line would do their own investigation & hopefully come to the same conclusion. I would say that the positive remarks on the various threads, even if some come from the same, person merits a serious look by any potential buyer. IâÂÂll try and post pics when IâÂÂm done.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor