Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathtub purchase suggestions?

Posted by giantjoebot (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 0:00

We are in the planning stages of remodeling our bathroom. Our current bathtub is a steel enamel, and it has several chips and scratches. We live in an 800 square foot condo, and the bathroom is very small. There is only enough room for a standard 5 foot tub. Well 3 feet wide max. We are on the second floor, so I don't think that cast iron is an option. I'm planning on tiling the walls around the tub, so I don't want something that will have to be removed any time soon. I've been spending all day trying to figure out what the best bathtub would be. So I'm asking for a little advice. I've gotten to the point where I feel like Im spinning in circles.

Here are a couple things that I have learned. A lot of tubes are made of plastic now like Vikrell, and that does not seem like a good product. I heard that it is a good idea to float acrylic and the plastic tubes on cement or mortar. Americast or bootzcast is an option, but I have heard both good and bad things about them

So as far as I can tell my options are

Americast
Acrylic
Enameled Steel

Which do you think would be the best option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathtub purchase suggestions?

A few years ago I remodeled a small bathroom and looked into these tub options. Ours was a second floor bathroom and I did not think cast iron would be an option, but it turned out that we could use it (although it was no small feat for the contractors to get the tub upstairs in our narrow staircase). Americast was our second choice but I did recall there were pros and cons. I really dislike acrylic tubs, personally, and if they are installed incorrectly they are trouble. Are you sure you can't use cast iron?

o

If you do a search here for staceyneil's posts, she has both acrylic and americast and has a few threads comparing the two.

o

Stacyneil's Post re: tubs

Here is a link that might be useful: Stacyneil's Post re: tubs

o

There are others, too. Just use the search box at the bottom of this page and enter staceyneil.

o

We put a Kohler Villager on the second floor of the house. It was heavy and I don't doubt some swearing was involved as they wrestled it up the stairs ... But it can be done.

By the way, when I say "we" I mean that I picked it out, the GC told the plumber, and it all happened when I was at work.

o

I think the Villager is a great option. I've been to a fancy hotel that had this one as their shower/tub installation. It is very versatile in my opinion. Not too tall allowing more easy entry. My only complaint is the style. I don't care for the chevron shape on the side.

I have the Kohler Bellwether 837 version in white. It is very plan and about the size of the villager. It is a standard installation. It came out in April of this year.
Bellwether 837:
Photobucket

This earlier version Bellwether 867, is taller and a bit wider but it has a very short bottom and a slanted front creating the need for an extra long tub filler. I don't know if you can see the slanted front in this image but on the specs it is clearly visible. People have not liked it because it is too short to stretch out in.
Bellwether 867:
Photobucket

Having said all of this mine isn't installed yet. It is WAITING for me to finish the the drywall and skim coating of my upper walls and ceiling:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here