Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

marble countertop questions

muscat
15 years ago

Several of you responded to my posts regarding a swanstone vs stone countertop- thanks! I decided to investigate my stone options. I found a few prefab dual vanity granite tops for $250ish, but looking at them, I'd rather just have silestone. There are lots of yards in my area that carry prefab 26"x96" counters for $150-300, but fabrication is still about $450 by the time they cut them down to size and add two polished sink holes. This seems pricey to me, but I got about the same estimates 3 different places, so I guess it is a hazard of living in CA.

So I went back to a few of the granite lots that I really liked in my kitchen remodel, and one place has occasional remnants that they basically give away! They dont fabricate, so only have small pieces infrequently, but I can get a piece of botticino marble for less than $40. The people who did my kitchen counters will fabricate that for $450, and it has NO finishing already, unlike the blanks that are sold everywhere. Also means that I can have an edge I like, rather than standard bullnose!

This does seem like a good deal, doesn't it?

And second question- it is reasonable for a handy person to install a small top like this, yes? The fabricators told us they'd show us how to do the undermount sink, and I'd like to try......it is just screwed in to the granite, right? I assume they have to pre-drill holes?

And LAST question- 2cm granite/marble is standard around here, so they recommend/require a plywood top- would the sink cut outs in the ply be enough bigger than the sink sole to allow room for the clips holding the sink up to the granite? I'm having trouble envisioning this. Does anyone with 2cm granite/marble have a photo of the inside top of their sink? Thanks!!!!

Comments (6)

• roobear
    15 years ago

So it's 250.00 for prefab granite or 490.00 for custom granite or 600.00 for silestone (which offers less maintenance than granite). For the granite, depending on the size that's not too bad. If your looking at a dual sink at 61" your usually looking at 500-700.00 for granite custom top, not including install.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how much your house is worth- don't want to over spend for the price of the house. Buying prefab is not as nice as custom however it does give you the option to put more money elsewhere in the remodel if you need to and yet still give you a nice look on a budget. If you sell the house down the road will you get enough of your money back for custom granite vanity vs. prefab?

It's interesting that 2cm is the norm because my prefab was 2cm so you can do a DIY install and so it's less expensive. At a custom job and price I'd hope to pay for 3cm instead.

My prefab vanity top comes with undermount sink that I attach with clips and epoxy glue. The store I bought it from told me I didn't need too have plywood underneath because it was only 2cm instead of 3cm, but I'm still thinking I might want to for extra added support. I'm only installing a single bowl instead of double so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm going to contact the manufacture to be sure.

I wish I had photos to post but we're not to the vanity stage yet so mine is still in pieces.

Good Luck

• muscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks roobear. What is odd to me about these prices is that the *only* prefab granite in the $250 range is quite frankly very "tract house" looking, and I'm not sure if a finished left side is even available. The prefab kitchen slabs that would still need sink cut outs, and to be reduced in size would still be MORE than the cost of using my marble remnant with the fabricator I used before. I guess I count myself lucky that I found the remnant!

I thought that 2cm granite typically needed a plywood base, and that 3cm did not. I know that it is a very regional thing, at least with slabs, but CA tends to have 2cm and a lot of the east coast has 3cm. My granite fabricator told me to use a plywood base- I'm not sure why your store would tell you the opposite!? I'm curious about what others' say here or what your manufacturer says.

• roobear
    15 years ago

Ok the manufacture said that I can just install the vanity top to the vanity and nothing extra is needed like plywood.

• muscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And it is definitely 2cm? Thanks!

So.......can anyone confirm if plywood is needed/recommended/etc?

It seems that maybe just adding a few extra cross pieces at the top of the vanity would be enough, too. Anyone done this?

• dugi_otok
    15 years ago

From a post in Feb 9, 2008 by Azstoneconsulting
    "The Marble Institute of America has inter-nationally recognized
    guidelines for design and implementation of assemblies that
    are used by people all the time. These guidelines are used
    as a benchmark for good construction practices.
    Here's what the MIA says:
    Plywood subtops should be used as a substrate for stone
    less than 1" in thickness (2CM = 3/4"), and are NOT required
    for stone greater than 1" in thickness (3CM = 1 1/4") "

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0309595620983.html?4

From Dugi
    I live in soCAl. All those I have dealt with require plywood with a two cm granite/marble.Granite countertops are susceptible to vertical forces and plywood will distribute those forces over a wider area of the granite.

• muscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, thank you! I guess I could have done a search.....thanks for doing the legwork. So back to the original question- any photos of the underside? I'm having trouble visualizing the interface between sink and granite, clips holding sink, and plywood that would be in the way of those clips, unless the plywood hole is pretty big?