Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmsweethm_gw

Finished our small powder room -- I mean small!

hmsweethm
16 years ago

Hi. I lurked on this site for months as we were renovating our house, and learned so much from everyone's helpful answers and advise, especially on tiling, fixtures, etc. I posted our kitchen a month or so ago, and now I wanted to post pics of our three bathrooms. I'll start with the powder room, a testament to how much you can do in a tiny space. We combined two closets to create a space that is 3'8" by 6'4". Because the ceiling is so high --almost 10' - and there is a window that lets light in from an adjacent study, it doesn't feel so cramped. We also tried to keep the materials elegant and simple to complement our 1890s home. The door is original to the house (moved from one of the old closets, and we tried to match other trim. Hope you think it worked!

Here is what we used:

Floor  Marble basket weave "Tribeca" from Walker-Zanger

Baseboard  Marble Tribeca collection from Walker-Zanger

Kohler toilet Devonshire

Empire Industries vanity & mirror  Kensington

Savoy sink

Showhouse by Moen faucet - Waterhill in polished nickel

Lighting above vanity  Restoration Hardware Chatham double sconce in polished nickel

Pendant  West Elm capiz shell

Towel ring, vanity knobs and soap dish  RH in nickel

Paint  Benjamin Moore gray (IÂll have to look up exact name)

Comments (38)

• polly929
    16 years ago

Really beautiful, I love the tile! But I think I have you beat when it comes to tiny powder rooms. When I am done redoing it I will post a pic, but we just installed the pedastal sink, and its soo teeny my 4 yr old doesn't need a step stool to turn on the water. I just love your vanity, wish I would have had the space for it The whole thing came together beautifully.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Very, very nice. Love the floor, sink, art... the way it all looks period without seeming stage-y. It's great that the frame on the picture marries the art to the wall rather than slavishly copying the mirror.

But to my eye, that ceiling light isn't pulling it's weight. It's a small detail, but a kind of jarring one in a room where everything else is *just right*!

I'd do something closer is style to the vanity light, but that may just be me-- I must confess a prejudice against any light fixture that has a 'frilly' feel to it...

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's funny about the pendant light, oruboris. My husband actually really, really wanted that light fixture, and I also admired a costlier version of it we saw at Design Within Reach, a store that prides itself on offering affordable designer stuff. Ha! Their version cost several times more than ours which is from West Elm.

I can see that it would not be everyone's taste, but we liked the whimsicalness of it (is that even a word?), and thought it lightened up the seriousness of the room. But I can see how some might think it didn't work.

Thanks for your feedback. I learn so much on this site.

• sandsonik
    16 years ago

I love your powder room - but I have to ask, does that door open into the room or does it pull back into the hallway? I ask because I'm puzzling about what to do with a very small half bath myself, and one of the issues for me is finding a sink small enough to allow the door clearance to open - and I notice your sink looks very close to the door, but it looks like the door stop is on the bathroom side?

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Sandsonik -- The door opens into the hallway. Since it was a new space (we turned two closets into the bath) and there was no doorway there to begin with, we could have chosen to open it either into or out of the bathroom. My husband initially was bothered that the open door would block the hallway, but I thought the bath itself was already so small, making it open inward would limit placement of the vanity even more. So we chose to have it open outward, and it works beautifully for us.

Is there anyway you can change your door so it opens out instead of in? It gives you more options in choosing sinks that already hard enough to find at this scale, as I'm sure you're learning!

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

hmsweethm, I love your powder room! And that original door is gorgeous!

sandsonik - check out this thread. We used a 16" depth kitchen cabinet topped with granite, a Kohler Caxton undermount sink and offset faucet because of our space constraints. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: link with pics of very small powder room

• karen_76
    16 years ago

nice job, hmsweethm! did you happen to get a chance to look up the name of the paint color you used?

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, jmfromil. We too love the original house details.
    Say, I looked at the photos of your finished powder room. Love it! We used that same toilet for our kids bathroom (posted on a separate thread), and that same Caxton sink, which we also used in our master bath double vanity (also posted on separate thread). That sink is just the perfect shape, isn't it?

Can I ask what color you used for your walls? It's a really beautiful shade of blue, and I'm looking for something for another bedroom. Your blue may just do the trick! Thanks!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Karen 76. Our messages must have crossed paths! Here I was asking someone else about their paint color, while you were asking about mine! I went down to the basement and looked at the can of paint we used. It's called Stonington Gray, by Benjamin Moore. Hope that helps.

• jmfromil
    16 years ago

hmsweethm - yep love the sink and toilet. The color in the powder room is BM Carolina Gull. I love it - it's kinda blue, green and gray.

• codnuggets
    16 years ago

I really like the sink, it's a great fit. You did a nice job in a challenging small space.

On the topic of small bathrooms, I have to share a picture of the lone first floor bathroom prior to our remodel last year. We bought the house a few months before the remodel, and the listing advertised the house as having 1.1 baths. I didn't understand until I saw this:

The rare 1/10 bathroom, a whopping 30 x 55 inches! Your looking at the whole thing, no sink in sight. After entering you had to stradle the toilet to be able to shut the door behind you. It amazes me that this was an acceptable configuration for 83 years.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

It's absolutely gorgeous. The first thing I noticed was the woodwork actually, you did a great job. The second thing is the tile floor - really smart to take the opportunity to put something really stunning in a small room and still keep to some semblance of a budget (I'd love something like that in my bathroom, but at 100 sf no way). It's exquisite and looks like it's always been there.

codnuggets, when you gotta go and there is someone in the other bathroom, you take what you can get.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

It looks wonderful. I love the floor tiles. I love the red towel and the picture of the red flowers in the vase.
    Donna

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

very nice powder room....i would like one just like it! i have been wondering how that gray toilet would look in a bathroom (rather than just in HD), now i know.
    kren

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your nice comments. But Kren pa, I have to point out that the toilet is not gray, but white. I took another look at the photos I posted, and I can see why you thought it was gray! Photos never quite capture everyone's true colors, do they?

Sorry if everyone else thought it was gray also. I guess the wall color and the fact that the bathroom is not all that light naturally made it look that way.

jmfromil, I'm going to run out and get a sample of that beautiful color you used. Thanks again.

codnuggets: I think you do take the prize for smallest powder room. What did you end up doing to it during your remodel? Or maybe I should do a search of it if you've already posted.

• pirula
    16 years ago

I like it very much. The floor is beautiful and I think the capiz shell pendant gives it a very nice modern touch. I do agree however that it doesn't really go with the sconce over the sink. But I would replace the shades on that sconce, or the sconce itself, before I replaced the pendant.

See? Everyone likes something different! But it's a beautiful powder room, either way!

Ivette

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Good use of closet space. It looks nice. I thought ours PR was small. One thing we did to maximize our small space was to take out the sink cabinet and put in a pedestal sink. Just the openness of that helps. We have a small, narrow cabinet on the wall for extra TP and accessories. It works and doesn't feel as cramped.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, great, now everyone has me rethinking the lighting! But actually the whole long process of planning and living through this remodel has me so worn down, that I'll probably never change anything there at all, even if I think it was a mistake, LOL!

As for the sink/vanity, here was my thinking on that: Because of the placement of the door (it couldn't go anywhere else), the sink had to be narrow enough to get by when you walked in. This vanity is just 12 inches deep. The sink itself protrudes 19 inches at its widest, but because it had a tapered edge to it, it has the appearance of being less obtrusive than it is.

We wanted storage, cuz our teenage girls tend to want to do a last minute primp before running out the door, and I wanted to hide other toilet supplies from out of view. And for whatever reason, I didn't want it to look too bathroom-y, even though of course it's a bathroom. It's right off our central stairway and visible from some parts of the living room if we have the door open. We tried a couple of pedestal sinks in there, and the ones I liked were actually more imposing than this vanity, and of course had no storage. And I liked the way the wood vanity on this one gave the whole thing more of a room feel than a bathroom feel, and seemed more in keeping with the style of our house. I kind of wanted it to have the feel of bathrooms in old elegant hotels, the kind you go to when you attend a wedding or some other event there, not that we necessarily achieved that, but that's what we were going for.

So that's why we picked this.

The great thing about these Empire vanities, especially this model, is that it comes in various widths and depths. Here's a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Empire vanities

• codnuggets
    16 years ago

hmsweethm, I don't think I ever got around to posting a final wrapup of my kitchen/half bath remodel. I lost a bunch of my pics and info when my laptop crashed right around when I finished the project. I ripped out the whole kitchen and bath and started over. The toilet is in almost the same place but turned the other way. The bathroom is now L-shaped (3 x 9 feet plus the entry L) and has a sink! Here are a few pics I have handy:

Before remodel, the bathroom is around the corner behind the kitchen

Reframed, you can see the L shape

Finished space

More legroom!

I wish I had gone with a sink base like yours, the storage would have been nice to have. Can you tell me the depth of the sink front to back? I had to hunt like mad to find my small sink to fit the are and clear the door swing. It's barely big enough for a pair of hands, but hey, at least there's a sink now.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, what a stunning kitchen, codnuggets (don't you just love everyone's names on here?). Love your sumptuous island and your choice of granite, and your hood, and your backsplash and your. . .oh, I could go on and on. You must be so happy.

Your powder room is completely transformed. You did great with that. I love the whole color scheme in there, and you made room for everything you need. Don't you feel lucky? Is that a door to the outside there?

Our messages must have crossed. The depth of my sink is about 19 inches, according to the specs listed on the web site that I linked to, but the cabinet itself is only 12 inches deep. That's what I love about this Empire site, you can research the exact measurements of everything.

Here's a link to pictures from our powder room, but I think I only have the ones I used here, plus our other bathrooms and our kitchen remodel. There's a separate listing on the left hand site for kids' bath, master bath and powder room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hmsweethm's kitchen and bath remodels

• codnuggets
    16 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, hmsweethm. We LOVE our new spaces. I'm currently working on a master suite, which is why I'm lurking in the bathroom forum. Remodeling is like eating potato chips...I can't stop!

Yes, that's a door to the outside. It's an entry from the deck that I left alone because I didn't want to have to deal with repairing the exterior, not to mention the additional permitting complications. We never use it, but it will be handy for outdoor entertaining so guests don't have to shuffle through the dining room and kitchen. Thanks for the sink link. The smallest unit they offer is still too big. My sink only protrudes 15 inches from the wall at the rounded center point and just barely clears the door swing by a couple inches. Oh well, it serves its purpose.

Your rooms all look great. Very well put together.

• lovetoshop
    16 years ago

These are all very helpful. I will try to post a pic of my bathroom so you all can help me decorate it!! Thanks!

• mchaney1
    16 years ago

Coduggets,

Love your powder room. I have a question, what are the dimensions on either side of your toilet? I understand code is 15" on either side of the drain pipe from finished walls. That is going to be tight for us on one side because the center of our drain is 17 1/2 inches from the exterior unframed basement wall. We think we may be able to squeeze 15" but it will be tight.

I also have some other questions...
    Do you feel it is tight in your bathroom on the toilet?
    What brand toilet did you get? and I cannot tell in the pic, is your toilet placed exactly in the center of the two walls? I thought we could cheat a bit and move the interior wall out a bit to allow for more room on the toilet.

Thanks for your help in advance.

• raenjapan
    16 years ago

I love the whole thing. I'd keep the pendant light. Gorgeous floor. Thanks for sharing!

• codnuggets
    16 years ago

mchaney - sorry, I missed your post to me. Better late than never...

The toilet area is 35 1/2 inches with the toilet just slightly off center because a floor joist was in the way. There is 17 inches to one side and 18 1/2 to the other. It's plenty wide. My old 1920's bathroom upstairs has 15 inches to the right side and it's very tight. I find myself sitting a little sideways since the other side is more open.

The toilet is Barclay Stanford. The only reason I got it was becuase it matches the tiny sink I needed. It doesn't flush very well, but I think that has more to do with the offset toliet flange I used to navigate the drain around that pesky joist.

Joe

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

hmsweethm this is just too weird. I live in an old (1936) colonial and we are redoing our powder room. We are getting a very similar marble mosaic floor - just haven't decided for sure if I want the basket weave or not, white fixtures (my sink is a pedestal but looks very much like yours) our faucets are almost identical - and get this - I bought the West Elm capiz sconce months ago to use in there!!! However, I'm using beadboard about 2/3 of the way up the walls and painting it black so we won't be total twins!

Personally I think you have great taste ;-) and should go with your gut. If you love it, leave it!

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go capiz shells! That is eerie, dlm2000. Your bathroom sounds great.

Funny you mention the beadboard: My DH and I originally planned on putting some kind of wood paneling about 2/3 up from the floor, just like you, but by the time the contractors got to that point, we were worn out from the process and the way the whole job had dragged on, that we didn't feel like figuring out what it would be made of, and bugging them to finish it. One day, if we ever hit the lottery, what DH and I decided is that we will buy the same marble tile from Walker Zanger but in their subway size (3x6) and do the 2/3 wall, topped with beautiful marble crown molding. OK, so it'll never happen, but how cool would that be? How much would that cost? Oh, well, the kids don't have to go to college!

As I said, even though we could do things differently (and of course I'm rethinking the durn capiz shell light fixture, that to all of you!), we're too worn down by the experience to ever change it.

• capesunseting
    15 years ago

jmfromil,

your solution in your bathroom is just what i need! I only have about 16 1/4" of depth to replace my vanity b/c the shower door starts at 16 1/2" from the wall and it opens OUT, thus bumping in to anything with greater depth.

I love the cabinet you picked out. where did you get it from? did it come with the granite countertop? would you please tell me how much the entire vanity ended up costing you? you can reach me at capesunset at gmail dot com.

thank you!!!

• emily928
    13 years ago

Codnuggets - if you happen to see this, where did you get that artwork? I love it!

• patty-2010
    13 years ago

Can you tell me where you got the picture of the red flowers? I absolutely love the picture.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Patty-2010 --
    I'm just now seeing your message about the picture of the red flowers. I believe it is a Pottery Barn framed print, but I myself got it at a yard sale. Don't you love it? And this should interest people who wonder whatever happens to the decor of rooms that people feature on this site -- I've made a few changes to the bath since I first posted. I'll post a photo when I get home later, but I'll tell you that we did change the hanging light, and I changed the picture. I know I said I never would, but we inherited a small chandelier from my sister in law, so we thought we'd go with a different style. Look for the photo later.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Several people on this forum said our other pendant light was too modern for this powder room, and I finally agreed. My sister in law gave us this chandelier recently, and I thought it fit the scale and period of this room. It takes so little to change the look of a small space. See what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: New decor

• archnista
    13 years ago

love, love, love your basket weave mosaice on the floor! Looks so luxurious!

• adh673
    13 years ago

I liked your west elm pendant :-) But then, I like eclectic.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Great doorknob!

I like the chandelier, but just as well as the last light. The chandelier is the more obvious choice and the other one was more quirky.

I hate to say it, but I think your old picture was better in the space. The new item is a little trendy for me and a little heavier in style than the rest of the room. I think it was the frame that made the artwork extra special there before.

• hmsweethm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sigh.

Maybe you're right, Dianalo. I'll play with them both. I liked the frame on the other one, but thought the flowers were a little too modern. I like the classic motif of this one -- fleur de lis -- but it is heavier and more modern and rustic overall.

Amazing the time and energy we can spend on these details!

• Susan
    13 years ago

i love the chandelier, and agree that the old pic with the silver frame was better in there. and am drooling over that tile, btw!