Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small bath remodel on a modest budget. Finished!

Posted by girlcat36 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 19:43

My 5 x 9 bathroom was gutted March 1st, and it was a long haul, but it is finally finished and usable! I am very happy with the end result. I was going for a 'modern Bohemian' look; kind of eclectic.
I had a small budget, and except for the tile, most everything was purchased online.
I lived with the 'before' bathroom for 12 years(ugh), it was mildewed because there was no exhaust vent, the vinyl floor had been painted multiple times. It was the original builders 'budget special'.
Due to a severe mold allergy, it was time to properly vent and upgrade, finally!
I had a closet door moved to be accessed from inside the bathroom, and had a french pocket door installed; I covered the glass panes on the door with opaque window film.
The ceiling was bumped up and covered with white washed fir tongue and groove.

Before(oh, the horror):
BEFORE. Bad, bad bath.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am so glad I stumbled across this forum! I was really at a loss trying to make decisions and this forum was a Godsend!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small bath remodel on a modest budget. Finished!

Oh! Your new bath is lovely and such a huge improvement. I love your choices of materials, colors and textures. I think you acheived the modern bohemian eclectic look with honors! Enjoy it -- and (hopefully) being allergy free!

P.S. We did a tongue and groove aspen ceiling in our downstairs bath too. Don't you love it? It is like an unexpected, fine detail. People marvel that you paid that much attention to your ceiling!

o

Thank you, kimkitchy!
The fir ceiling was the one thing that I absolutely 'had' to have! I compromised on a lot of other stuff, but the ceiling was the most important part to me.
Just had the best bath of my life in my soaking tub!!

o

Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

o

Ohhhhh ... I got that tile too.

I like the use of big and small tiles. I wish I had thought of it, but I didn't. Maybe next bath.

It looks great!

o

Your bathroom is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

o

A thing of beauty. Really, magazine worthy. Ball park budget?

o

Thank you!
Labor---3,000.00
Supplies 3,000.00 +/-

o

I love your bathroom! I especially like the tile going up the wall!

o

Thank you, catkin!

o

Where did you get your vanity?

o

Really beautiful and well done with the budget. This is definitely going in my list of inspiration links.

o

LOVE your bath! Did you replace the tub or have it refinished?

o

Thank you, misgnomer! I am flattered!

And thank you, wicked grace---the tub was replaced(as was everything in the bathroom) by the Kohler Bancroft soaking tub from Home Depot.
I have included a link to another thread which answers a lot of questions about my remodel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Girlcat's small bathroom info

o

This is absolutely gorgeous....well done

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here