Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small bath remodel on a modest budget. Finished!

Posted by girlcat36 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 21:21

My 5 x 9 bathroom was gutted March 1st, and it was a long haul, but it is finally finished and usable! I am very happy with the end result. I was going for a 'modern Bohemian' look; kind of eclectic.
I had a small budget, and except for the tile, most everything was purchased online.
I lived with the 'before' bathroom for 12 years(ugh), it was mildewed because there was no exhaust vent, the vinyl floor had been painted multiple times. It was the original builders 'budget special'.
Due to a severe mold allergy, it was time to properly vent and upgrade, finally!
I had a closet door moved to be accessed from inside the bathroom, and had a french pocket door installed; I covered the glass panes on the door with opaque window film.
The ceiling was bumped up and covered with white washed fir tongue and groove.
Before(oh, the horror):
BEFORE. Bad, bad bath.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Reading this forum proved to be enormously helpful, as I was overwhelmed by having to make decisions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small bath remodel on a modest budget. Finished!

Oh! You did a great job! It looks wonderful! Our remodel was super long too, so I totally get that feeling of relieve and pride when it's finally done! Especially when you love the results! Now it's time to just enjoy!

o

*cough sputter* "Small" budget?!

I see that aproned Toto.

I see those acres of travertine...

I can only imagine what you would do with a 'large' budget!

Seriously, it's beautiful. Very nice to bring the travertine up the wall, esp. since it's such an interesting pattern. Good work!

o

What a nice improvement! I love seeing your small bath remodel since mine is similar - but even smaller - by a couple feet.

o

Thank you! I am really enjoying this bath!
I wish the budget had been 'small', but I think 'modest' is an accurate description.
Yep--went over budget. The number I had in my head was 4,000.00(including labor); of course I went over.

I had a contractor who gave me a set price for the job--no matter what I wanted to do--the labor would remain that set price. He completely gutted everything, raised the ceiling, moved the heating vent, rearranged a closet(and installed an interior light!), fixed the hallway floor leading in to the bathroom, installed a pocket door, and did all the plumbing and electrical. He had little experience with bath remodels(he owns a drywall business), but I gave him a shot to see what he could do.
This was my first time working with a contractor(we usually DIY), and he was great. He didn't look at me like I was crazy when I gave him my ideas, and tried his best to do everything I wanted.

The tile is the cheap stuff from Home Depot; .22 ea. subway tile, and the wall/floor tile was 1.69 for 12x12, .99 for the 6x6.
I had him set the tile in that pattern because I hate grout lines and I wanted them to be less noticeable.
I had him take the tile up the wall because the room is so small, and I thought it would look more spacious that way. Also, I am so tired of mildewy baseboards and sheetrock, I thought going with tile up the wall would make for easier cleaning.
The contractor used outdoor vinyl trim to create the arch over the shower, and to frame the shower itself.
Everything else was purchased online. It was a little scary buying online, but in the end, everything came together just fine. I was going for an 'unmatched' look, with different finishes on lighting, faucets, etc. I was tearing my hair out trying to make everything match, so I decided to go with unmatched, yet coordinated, fixtures.

The Toto toilet I bought online after much research, it was the cheapest fully skirted Toto(329.00 shipped). Same price as the completely useless 4 year old American Standard Champion it replaced. What a waste of money the Champion was!I got sucked in by those ads were they flushed all those golf balls. Funny---you don't see that ad anymore.

The two things I did not waver on in this remodel were the T&G fir ceiling, and a fully skirted toilet. I am tired of trying to clean toilet bases with all those nooks and crannies!

Now I have to make the rest of my house match my bathroom!

o

That's Fabulous!
Really beautiful design -- (I love eclectic) and great use of cheap tiles (I'd never have guessed they were cheap).
Your tub arch is lovely -- Please let us know how it wears.

o

Everything is beautiful! I love your mirror. Where did you get it? Love the tile on the wall and floor, the pattern looks great, adds so much interest. Enjoy!!

o

Wonderful! Two questions:
- Tell us about the tub (brand, cost, size...)
- Are those floor/wall tiles HD's travertine or porcelain? I love that pattern - do you think it's more "forgiving" (as in hiding any slight imperfections in straightness)? You have achieved what I think I'm looking for. I wish I had your contractor too. We can't seem to get a final estimate for the gutting part.

o

Thank you!

The mirror is from Pier 1 Imports.
I did not want a medicine cabinet(I keep all my meds in the kitchen); I prefer the impact of a beautiful mirror as a focal point.
I gave up some storage for aesethics, and I do not regret that decision.
I only have a single drawer for staorage in the vanity, but I do have access to a closet now from inside the bathroom where I will keep most of my 'junk'.

The tub is a 60" Kohler Bancroft soaking tub. I had toyed with the idea of getting an airjet tub, but decided against it as I heard too many people say they are noisy and get cold faster, plus I would have had to change more electrical stuff. And the price---way out of budget!
I believe the tub was 375.00 devlivered from HD; they did not give the option of picking it up in-store.
I was worried about the aestehtics of the tub with the curvy front apron; wasn't sure if it would 'go' with everything else; but once installed, I loved it. The curvy front adds a little interest to the bathroom.

The HD tile is porecelian, and honestly, I didn't like the way HD's travertine tile looked. You could tell it was cheap. This porcelian tile has blown me away with the way it looks on the wall and floor. It is NOT the tile I originally wanted(budget, once again), and in the end I said to the GC---"Just get the HD tile, I'll suffer with it!"
I am pleasantly surprised. It is very forgiving in hiding imperfections.

I loved my GC. The only issue I had is that I had specified stark white subway tile, I wanted the subway tile and the tub to be one color. My GC thinks he installed white, but actually he got bone. I know this because one of my stark white sample HD tiles got mixed in with the field tile and stood out starkly against the bone. He did replace this, and still thinks he installed white. I am not going to fuss too much about it---it still looks good.

o

I *love* it even more now! You truly did some inventive shopping and excellent choosing. Good onya :)

UGH about that AS Champion...we got the AS Cadet 3s and I have to say they've been completely wonderful, no problems at all, 2 years and going. The skirt on the Toto is mighty attractive, though :)

You are also incredibly lucky with that contractor. Sounds like times might be a bit tough for him--if you have an Angieslist in your town, maybe he might want a recommendation? (if he's licensed) I've done that for the guy we brought in to do our drywall, and will do for the plumber who roughed in our tub/shower/sink and fixed the bad toilet piping too. Great jobs deserve positive reinforcement :)

o

What size is your vanity and where did you get it? Trying to find a vanity for my 90% finished bathroom has been the bain of my existence!

Wonderful job by the way! Love the tile!

o

Very nice. Love the mirror and chandelier. Congrats to you for getting all this on a small budget. I never seem to be able to accomplish such things.

o

girlcat36, your bathroom is really beautiful!!! Nicely done in every way. I'm bookmarking it for inspiration right now. I need a tile floor to go with white subways too, and I love yours. It's from HD. Do you remember the name of it? Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get some too. Many thanks.

o

Fully skirted toilet - never knew there was such a thing - that is definitely something I want now.

o

flyleft--my GC was giving people better deals on the labor in order to line up plenty of work; he actually talked me into doing this remodel knowing I was on a budget. He said it would be more affordable that I thought.

tontam--the vanity was from overstock, it included the vanity top, and I'm not sure what the top is made out of! Maybe a cultured stone?? I believe the vanity measures 26" wide, and 18" deep.

dedtired---Thank you! The chandelier was purchased online from Walmart, 50.00.

Thanks boysrus2! I am so flattered you are bookmarking my bathroom!

o

I'm jealous. My jaw literally dropped and I said "woooooooooooow!!!".
Looks great, I'm just beginning this adventure. I like what you've done and may take some cues from you. :-)

o

Thanks, californiaplaya! Glad I've inspired you, good luck with yours!

boysrus2--that tile is pretty standard at HD, it should still be available. It comes in 3 finishes, beige like I got, then there is a gray toned one, the third is brown, I believe and a little darker in tone than the beige and the gray.

o

Wow, what a great bathroom. I think they story about the bone subway tile is funny. I had been thinking that I liked the off white tile, I thought it was a nice touch...and then I find out it's a mistake. I also like the skirted toilet, I had just seen these recently and it's something I would get if I replaced a toliet.

I notice that the top three panels on the french door has no film on them. Are they low enough that a tall person could see in?

o

I really wanted stark white tile, grout and tub. But the off white tile kind of goes with the textured porcelain tile. It only bothers me a teensy bit that I see 'white' grout between the bone tile. GC was great in so many other ways--gotta let that one go!
Yes, a tall person could look in through the top panes of the French door. The bathroom is upstairs between two bedrooms---not a whole lot of foot traffic there. Just me and hubby in the house; the kids are grown and gone.
The French door is visible from the stairs on the first floor. I really enjoy looking up and seeing my chandelier through the un-filmed glass; that is the reason I left it clear.

Not to make any of you gals jealous, buuuut....I'm the only one who uses this bathroom, hubby has his own on the first floor. I really love having my own bath!

o

Funny - when I first saw the pictures I thought how nice the subway was not stark white and rather a softer off-white to go with the wall and floor tile and the ceiling - lol. SO don't tell anyone it was a mistake because it looks intentional and I like it ;-)

You did a wonderful job - it is a beautiful space. You GC sounds like a gem.

o

Girl

Nothing modest about that bath! Nice work -
Enjoy your new bath & new skirt;)

o

OH, this bathroom is beautiful! Where ever did you find this guy?? He is priceless!!!Where do you live??!!
I love the tile on floor up the wall!
I hear you about " easier cleaning"!
My favorite part is the "skirted" toilet!!!
I agree with you 100% I HATE the toilets now with all that
stuff in the back - nooks & cranies!!!

I swear it is men who design these toilets with all the gear in the back! A woman would never design something with all that crap! Must have been a woman who designed the "skirted" toilet!!!! I LOVE IT!!

Enjoy!

o

which toto is that? where did you get it online? thx!

o

Beautiful remodel! I especially love the arch over the tub, extremely elegant.

o

I love the simplicity of the white shower curtain because it really makes all your tilework pop and feels more restful! The pocket door also adds to the space as well!

o

Nooks & cranies are for english muffins... ! No more n&c! I love my skirted Toto, too. Is stays clean cause there is really no place for stuff to land. Simple wipe once in a while and were good to go.
Really nice choices throughout your bathroom. LOVE the raised ceiling really beautiful would have loved to do that in my bath. You did a wonderful job congrats.

o

girlcat36, I was at my neighborhood HD today to get samples of your tile, but couldn't find it. If you happen to remember the name, maybe I can them order it for me. Appreciate any more help you can give me!!! Thanks.

o

Thank you all so much! I am thrilled to have gotten such a positive response to my bathroom on this forum.

I did not expect such interest in my remodel, so I didn't keep good track of what things were and where I got them. I will put links in to the items, and sorry, but I don't know how to shorten the links(doh!).
The vanity was from Overstock, and I paid too much(in my opinion) for it, 600.00. It included the 'marble' top. The only sources at the time for a vanity with this look were Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware---both stores were way out of budget.
I believe Lowes makes a similar vanity now at a much better price.

The best price on the Bancroft soaking tub was 375.00 shipped at HD. The price is now up to 467.00, yet last week it was 415.00 at HD. Prices online really seem to fluctuate. This tub is only available online, and must be shipped to your home, and not the store.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100410702/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The toilet is a Toto Vespin. The best price I found is here:
http://www.homeperfect.com/Two-Piece-Toilets/Toto-cst764sg-Vespin-Two-Piece-Toilet-16-GPF-Sanagloss/invt/totcst764sg

I think that price(316.00) is slightly less than what I paid.

The sink faucet is Dazzle by American Standard:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Standard-6028-240-002-Two-Handle-Minispread/dp/B000QU39WU

The price on the faucet has gone up considerably since my purchase.

The chandelier is from Walmart, and only available online. It is the perfect size for a small room, and has the option of being a plug-in.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5142751

Now for the tile(boysrus2)!!
I really think that this is the tile that I used, but I think the price is less in-store.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100645913/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

Boysrus2---I will pop in to HD next time I am in the area, and see if they still have the tile; if so I will make note of the product number for you.

o

Oops---my links don't work! And it took so long to do!
I am so computer challenged.

o

Thank you for trying! I brought home samples of the Marazzi Cortina, Model UF3S. Pretty, but I didn't think that was it. Didn't seem as rich looking as your photos. Maybe I'm confused by the combined effect of all the beautiful elements in your bathroom! Anyhow, please don't go out of your way to the store. Instead of piggy-backing on your successful choices, I will simply try to follow my instincts. Many thanks again!

o

girlcat,
I love everything about your bath remodel.Very well done and looks so special with that chandy.
Now I know you went to alot of trouble to write down all your choices, but I am interested in your pocket door.
My daughters bathroom in her new (old) house is very small. I think maybe a bit smaller than yours. No cupboard for sure. And I suggested she get a pocket door. She seems to think that it would be less private and everyone would be able to hear any noises inside. Is this the case or do you find the door closes as tight as a normal door. I really think this would be a good solution for her.
Also how hard or expensive is it to install a pocket door.
Thanks for any info.

o

Boyrus2---Stopped by HD today; I am 99% sure that my tile is the Montana Lugano.
It was 2.02 for a 12X12, and .83 for a 6x6 tile at my HD today. So I was incorrect in thinking it was the cheapest tile they had; it is a slight step up---but still a bargain. It also comes in 16x16, and a smaller mosaic type tile.
I saw some tile there that cost more money but didn't look nearly as good---I would snap up the Lugano if it is available at your HD. It got good reviews online, too.
Good luck with your bathroom!

lyban---Thank you!
I love my pocket door. It slides very easily, and has a lock. Most people wouldn't use a glass door as a pocket door, but I really wanted to let some light into a dark hallway through the bathroom.
I think a lot of contractors might find a pocket door a bit of a pain to install, but since my guy was going by a set price for the job, I don't know what would another contractor would charge for the install.
The door itself was unfinished pine, 100.00. I finished it with white paint, and cut window film, 26.00, to fit the panes. The sliding door hardware was approx. 100.00.
Putting it in requires removing the sheetrock and changing the studs. There can be no wiring or heat vents in the wall the door slides into. My pocket door slides into a wall where I had a closet door. The door was reoriented to be accessed from inside the bathroom.
Privacy could be a concern if it was a heavily used bathroom on the first floor. Mine is on the second floor, and not often used, except by me.
I have a lock, but it is a bit sticky(got locked in one morning!), so I tend not to lock it at all.
I have no regrets on the pocket door, and I want all my interior doors to be pockets now!

o

Thanks girlcat for that info.
I am going to show this thread to my daughter.

o

Also---today while at HD, I saw that they offer a skirted toilet at a much lower price than the Toto I got online. I forget what the brand was called, but it was something I have never heard of. It was proabably in the neighborhood of 150.00 with tank, bowl, and toilet seat.
Not sure if the 'innards' are any good, though!
Buy at your own risk!

o

Thank you - you're an absolute sweetheart to have done that!!! I will get back over to HD asap (maybe tonight).

o

Girlcat, so glad you posted on that thread about favorite bathroom decisions. I fell in love with your bath when you posted it but then couldn't find it again. It's just beautiful. And for what it's worth, I think the bone subways look gorgeous with your other materials!

o

Thank you so much, nutherokie!!

o

Girlcat, can you give me the info on your showerhead/sprayer? Does it work well.good quality? I'm wanting one just like that w/ both a fixed head and a side sprayer. Thanks!

o

Hi straitlover!
My shower set up was all purchased separately because I wanted certain things that didn't all come together in a set at my pricepoint.
~The showerhead itself is a Moen(don't know the model#, threw away the packing) I purchased it at Lowes.
~The valve trim cover was purchased at Home Depot. It is a Simmons replacement cover over an old Delta valve. I did not want to replace my valve due to budget. Because I had an old valve, this is the only nice looking trim plate that would match up with screw holes.
~The slidebar set up is also a Moen #3837. I had a VERY hard time finding this. Seems to be discontinued everywhere. I was lucky to get it; everything else I had ordered online came in looking way too modern and had to be returned.
I did not use the handheld showerhead that came with the Moen set(I did save it for later, though). I wanted to be able to rinse my hair with a filtered handheld. So the handheld itself has a water filter in it and was purchased at Lowe's(35.00).
The Moen handheld was quite attractive, and I plan to put it back on when I have a whole house water filter system.
I cannot have the fixed head and handheld running at the same time, and that is okay with me. I had a valve put in at the showerhead that controls the handheld water supply.

Everything is working great, no problems so far with any of it!

o

girlcat -
Nice remodel! Yes, that's Montana Lugano. I'm using the paler version in a tub surround.

For my next bath (new or remodel) I'm going to steal your idea of mixing the sizes to break up the grout lines. It would also conceal a not-quite square framing too.

o

I see this is way back from Nov. but I just "stopped by" and saw your beautiful remodel!! Congratulations! It is very pretty and everything really flows together. It's just lovely! Enjoy!!

o

Looks like you got a lot for your money! And the work looks very well done! You said you did it on a "modest budget," and that the budget you had in your head was $4,000 (but that you went over). Did you ever mention the total cost of the project?

o

Thank you, lazygardens and twotogo!

For the curious(straitlover!), I will disclose my budget.
It was around 6,000.00 including all labor and supplies.
My GC set the price at 3,000.00 for the work, no matter what I asked him to do, there wouldn't be any extra charge.

Silly me---I thought I could get ALL my supplies for 1,000.00 when I first decided to go ahead with the project.
Maybe I could have, but I did want to upgrade somewhat.

Some breakdowns:
~Pocket door & hardware 200.00
~Toto toilet & soft close seat 350.00
~T&G fir for ceiling 200.00
~Kohler soaking depth tub 425.00
~American standard faucet 158.00
~Vanity from Overstock 600.00
~Tile, Home Depot 500.00
~Chandelier 50.00
~Sconces 76.00

Everything but the tile and the pocket door was bought online.

If hubby and I had done the work ourselves we could have saved SO much money, but I wanted the project done in this century!

o
Oops!

I see that I actually paid 375.00 for the soaking tub, but I couldn't edit my post!

o

girlcat36:

Thanks for answering my probing question and satifying my curiosity! I think you got a quality job at a terrific price. I would hire your guy in a minute! It's nice to hear about people getting a fair bid and a happy ending to their remodel story! Enjoy your new bathroom--it looks great!

o

Wow, that's a truly spectacular bathroom for a great price! I love the arch over the bathtub! And I think the bone tile in the shower area ties in nicely with the floor/wall tile in the rest of the room. Congratulations!

o

Thank you mlk58!
I really got lucky with my GC. He was really open to doing things a little differently, and had a good sense of what was practical, yet aesthetically pleasing. We made a good team.

o

Thanks on the info on the shower setup!

o

You are so talented for redoing a space on a budget. It's stunning. Love the mixed glass on the pocket door. Enjoy!

o

Thank you, plumberry! I am really happy with the glass-paned pocket door.

o

Nice to see that a remodel can be done, on a reasonable budget without looking cheap. I thought I would just have to live with my ugly bathroom because spending $10,000 or more is not an option. However, I have to say the KEY here is that you had a 'reasonable' contractor, who did 'quality' work. Now that is harder to come by than getting $10,000 (I was quoted near 12k for a postage stamp sized bathroom). Thanks for sharing these pics.

o

Your bath looks great! I love the tile going up the wall.

o

Thank you, catkin! The tile going up the wall makes it so much easier to keep clean!

Linwood 2009, I can't say enough about my GC, he was reasonable, thoughtful, meticulous. I hope to use him to add on a garage and expand our kitchen in the future.
That is, if he doesn't get 'discovered' before then, and his rates go up! LOL

o

(I posted this as a seperate message but want to make sure you see it so putting it two places)

We are at the end stages of bathroom remodel project. Cabinets and other finish work is all that is left. This includes getting all the fixtures installed. The tub/ shower set up is exactly like yours. Bought a Symmons valve meant for tub shower only. Also bought a seperate slidebar (we liked the functionity of the Kohler best) and a seperate hand held shower head (Grohe Rustic). We need to use a diverter that mounts on the shower head as what I have is only two ways. (We do not need to run both a once as this is the kids bath and I think they will use the handheld more than the other head.
Questions-
1) What brand did you use for the diverter valve. We picked up a Danco one at Home Depot. It was pretty cheap- under $20. Curious if we should have gone with something higher end or if they are basically all the same?

2) Are you happy with the location you mounted the slide bar? The GC is going to ask exactly where I want it and I am not sure to be honest. Looking for opinions. I have seen many off the side like yours and a few closer to being underneath the mounted shower head.

All opinions welcome!

o

I came across this thread while looking for reviews of the Bancroft. Girlcat36, what an inspiring remodel! Looks absolutely gorgeous, and I love the ziggurat tiling pattern. Thank you for the detailed account of all your fittings. You're an inspiration to the rest of us.

How is your tub working out? Can I ask, does it have a non-slip texture on the bottom? If so, is that something you notice when you're soaking?

o

Thank you, purplerascal!

The tub is great! I thought I might end up tripping over the sides because it is a soaking depth tub, but that hasn't happened once.
There is no texture on the bottom, but I do not notice it when soaking. I do notice it when showering, but it's definately not a deal breaker.
I highly recommend a soaking depth tub, it's only a tad more expensive than a regular tub.

o

Thanks for sharing your beautiful bath remodel.
I am getting ready to gut my old 70's green bath.
It is very close to the same size as yours.
I love your tile selection and would love to use the same tile. I have been to Home Depot several times looking for the tile. They have Lugano, Cortina and Belluno. The Lugano is the lightest and has beige and some grey in it. The Cortina and the Belluno are beige and brown and may have a gold cast. The brown in both the Cortina and Belluno look redish brown and look so much darker than the pictures you posted. I am not sure if the tiles have gotten darker since you did your bath. Just not sure which tile to pick.

o

go with the lighter tile. when you get lots of it together it'll look darker.

o

Thanks for replying. I am running out of time. My bathroom
was gutted yesterday. Everything is gone except the tub.
I was thinking of using the lighter tiles. My room is not that large. I just like the look and the color of her tiles.
I don't want it to look pale and washed out but then again I don't want it so dark it looks like a cave. Should we
cherry pick the tiles for the darker ones or just use randon tiles?

o

Hi nel5on!
Of those three tiles that HD offers I did not choose the one with any gray in it. I believe the lightest toned one has gray tones. And I did not choose the darkest one. So I guess I got the midtoned one! I was very afraid that it would be too dark but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it didn't overwhelm the room. I think it actually ended up looking really good with the vanity color. I'm really sorry I do not know EXACTLY what I ended up picking.
BTW, it would be hard to to pick through the tiles at HD as they come in sealed boxes.

o

Thanks for replying. The lugano tiles look like they have grey and beige and another beige color that looks a little peachy. The cortina looks a lot darker with no peach tones and lots of brown. I went back to your earlier posts and the number you gave when you ordered your tile matched the numbers for the middle tile Cortina. It just looks so dark.
I have boxes of both colors at home. It may just look dark because I am looking at both tiles. I could tell by the store display that the Belluno was way too dark.

o

I love what you did with your bath. The tile is gorgeous.

I think the door is great with the chandelier view from the hall.

I prefer the bone subway tile to pure white myself.

Your before isn't even close to as bad as mine was though. ;) I failed to take a picture before DH gutted it but it was much worse.

o

Thank you, buyorsell888!

Nel5on----I was certain that the Cortina would be too dark, but like you, I was down to the wire and budget dictated that I get my tile at HD. I just gave in and told my GC to get it and get it over with, and I would just deal with it if I didn't like it.
I think tile was my toughest decision. I had champagne taste on a beer budget. I agonized for literally months over tile; pining over the beautiful tiles I knew I could never get.
I really wanted so badly to get something other than HD tile--but there was no way my budget would allow it.
It turned out just fine anyway!

o

The bath remodel has started. The room has been gutted and the green tub is gone. I stuck with the Cortina tiles.
They started on the floor today and I must say it really does look good. I was afraid it was going to be too dark but its not. I am very pleased so far. I went to Home Depot and Lowes looking for vanities. I think I might go with a black one I saw at Lowes. I have a 60 inch vanity and my selection is limited. Worst yet are the vanity tops. So many only come in 49 and I need a 61. Not a lot to pick from on a budget. Still not sure what I am going to do for a vanity top.

o

Fabulous...love your colors and the style, the light tones make the room look large and that mirror is awesome.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

o

Love your subway tile no matter what color it is. What a great idea on leaving the top glass on your door clear to see the chandelier!

o

The tile is going down and I really like the color. I think I might go with a a black vanity from Lowes.
It's between a dark brown and the black. I just think
the style of the dark brown was a little too formal for
the room. The black is more of a shaker style and seems to be more modern to me.
I have a 60 inch vanity so I am running into problems
with a countertop. Not a lot to pick from in the ready
mades in that size. I have looked at granites but I just
think they look too busy with the tile on the wall. The vanity will go in one corner of the room. So it butts up to the tiled wall. So I am at a stand still with the top. I did find a travertine top I could use but I am not sure about the upkeep of travertne.
If I run out of time I can always use a stock white cultured marble top. I just think the bright white would just be too much. I really wanted a nicer top without paying so much. Budget always comes into play.
Any suggestions?

o

Thank you, vampiressrn, and debrak 2008!

Nel5on---I had wanted a beige granite vanity top originally. The vanity I ordered came with a beige cultured marble countertop. I had planned to remove this and replace it with granite, but the cultured marble was firmly glued on, so it had to stay.
It was a good thing though, because the granite I badly wanted would have been too busy with with the Cortina.

Can you find beige in a marble? I agree that stark white would be too bright.

o

Tub is in and tile is going down. Dust everywhere and I mean everywhere. I guess next project will be major cleaning. Bumps in the road.
I can't count how many times I have gone to HD and Lowes.
Buying and returning I should have a stamp.
I started out with the idea of using white subway tile behind the tub like you. My tub is in a alcove and I
just couldn't make up my mind on how I wanted the white subway and the cortina tile to end at the corner. I just didn't want a white line from the ceiling to the floor
with nothing on the other side. I took back the subway and
now I am doing the whole room with the Cortine. I hope it
will not turn out to look like a cave. I found a piece of leftover travertine at one of the granite shops for the vanity top. So much cheaper then the box stores.
So now I have to pick a faucet, mirror and paint color.
I am not afraid of color but I think I will need to use
something much lighter than I would normaly pick to lighten up the room.

o

Your bath is lovely! I have redone 6 houses in 40 years and appreciate your success. The bone in the shower actually softens the look and goes with your other tile. You have 3 bright white things: sink, tub, & toilet. Looks planned. Also, you are kind to the man who was kind to you. Good for you!

Bobbie

o

Hi Girlcat, I'm another fan of your bath remodel! I'm trying to learn, learn, learn right now, before I move ahead with mine. Your bath is such an inspiration. I want one like that!

I love all of your selections. Even the mistaken bone tile is really beautiful. Currently, I have a tub with the plastic surround built into it & would love a tub & tile surround like yours. Your idea about the simple toilet shape is a great one I never thought about. Is the toilet a water-saving model? I suppose all new ones are.

Thanks for posting your pics & info!

o

Bobby46---thank you so much; with you being so experienced in bath remodels, I really value that compliment!
I really love ny carpenter--he just finished doing a deck with a beautiful pergola for me, and is currently working on a friends bath.

Thank you, Stinky Gardener(LOL, love that name!). I LOVE my toilet so much. If it's possible to actually 'love' a toilet!
I highly recommend the Toto toilet that I got. Easy to clean, and not a bit of trouble with the flushing mechanism(unlike the previous two toilets I owned).

o

Hey there Girlcat 36,
I have eyed your remodel so many times. You did a great job and you must be a bit overwhelmed with the response and all the requests for info...
sorry to pile on.
I am channeling a very similar setup as yours with eliminating a closet in the hall and putting in a pocket door. (DH is adamantly against the pocket door so I must, must, must get it right.)
I want to ask a few more things...if you would be so kind to endure some more queries.
How wide and deep is you closet that is now accessed from inside the bathroom instead of the hall? (I am guessing its at least 42 in wide... looks like you have about 2 feet more to work with than I do as my bath room is only 6.5" x 7') Looks like it has two doors that open out to access it is that correct?

You say that you use this bathroom solo and there's not much foot traffic. We are in a similar situation (2nd floor hall bath with two bedrooms plus master bed/bath right next to it) but we do have guests, inlaws, etc that will use the bath, and resale to consider... and I am a little worried about the privacy/noise risk. I am wondering if your reference to privacy being a concern if there was more traffic is with regard to the pocket door... or the "french" pocket door with windows because the latter may not insulate sound as well?
Any thoughts on that?
Thanks again for sharing your wonderful bath.

o

Hi Southerngalinnyc!
I'm so pleased you have found inspiration in my bath remodel!
My closet is 29" deep, and 27" wide. When it opened from the hallway, it was the opposite measurement, of course.
My GC added a flourescent fixture and three shelves. the shelves are approximately 18" deep. The lowest shelf is about 28" up from the floor, leaving room for a hamper, and vaccuum storage.
The door is actually a bifold.
One year later, I LOVE my glass pocket door!! It lets a lot of light into a formerly very dark hallway. I never took noise into consideration, but I'm thinking if noise is a problem, maybe a solid door would be better.
There are a lot of different window films available out there, and I don't think that I got the one with the most privacy, so you should take a look at what is available, some are even more opaque than mine, yet still let in some light.
I believe my GC used Johnson hardware for the pocket door track. This is available on-line, but I was surprised to find my GC had gotten my Johnson track at Home Depot.
It opens and closes smoothly, no problems there.
The only 'guests' I have had use my bath are my adult children, and no one has a problem with the glass door!
Good luck!

P.S.--I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have!

o

Thanks Girlcat36,
Simply put....you rock.
I am off to the races on this pocket door thing. Thanks again for the inspiration. I will need to figure out how to handle the "lost space" in the back of the closet since I think accessing from the bathroom will make it too deep now.
If your shelves are 18" deep, sounds like you gave up a little room (11" or so) in the "back" of the new closet. Space is a valuable commodity in NYC, so I was trying to figure out if I could access that other 12" or so from the hallway still, but that seems tough to do.
I will definitely check out the film situation. I truly would not have thought of that as an option before seeing yours! genius.
Here's my situation...
lovely pink and green 2nd floor bath in all its glory

cheers!
e

o

Oh my, southerngal! Your bathroom does need help! It will be a nice feeling to have that taken care of! And I love your inspiration bathrooms.
I did not sacrifice any of my closet space; my shelves do not come all the way to the front of the closet. I wanted it that way so I would have room for a broom and small vaccuum to hang on hooks, and I will probably be putting some very narrow shelves on the free wall space for small bottles of shampoo, lotion, whatever.
So if you install a pocket door it will most likely prohibit any real access from the hallway to the closet.
I would still use the full depth of the closet accessing from the bathroom, understanding that it would be deeper than normal.
I would use 22" shelves, and maybe a few narrow ones on the free side walls. I would also put hooks on the free wall space for hanging whatever.
Kind of like a mini-walk-in.
Good luck!

o

Dear GirlCat36, What a beautiful bathroom! Can you tell me where you (or your GC) got the bifold door for your closet? Our bathroom closet opening is short and narrow (28x72), and I'm having trouble finding a source for a bifold door with those dimensions. Thanks in advance for your help --

o

Thank you, Hamden mom!
My bifold is 23.5" wide, and was purchased at Home Depot.

o

@girlcat36: Beautiful bathroom! Just curious...how has your Toto toilet held up? Do you recommend it?

o

Beautiful job, I love the ceiling treatment and chandelier.Really great job.

o

Plain gorgeous!!!

o

I'd love to know how the bancroft is holding up. Any problems?

o

Thank you, skeetie, and danielitav!
Since this thread has been resurrected, I will take the opportunity to update on my bathroom, two years after completion.

Things that I love:
*Fully skirted toilet, so easy to clean---I will never go back to nooks and crannies. The Toto toilet is great, none of the clogging problems that I have had with my last two toilets in that bathroom.
*No baseboards! I ran the floor tile straight up the wall. Again--super easy to clean!
*Reorientating the hall linen closet to open inside the bathroom.
*Pocket door with glass panes--no regrets!
*Deciding on a shower niche in addition to a corner shower shelf. Shampoos go on the niche, bar soap and razors on the shelf
*A light inside the shower. How did I live without it?
*A mildew resistant heavy cotton shower curtain instead of glass doors or plastic shower curtains. There have been no problems with shower water coming through the cotton. easily washed and dried with bleach to keep clean. No glass doors to keep clean, and no icky plastic to wrestle with. This was a budget decision. Initially I wanted glass and I just couldn't afford it.
*Going with a handheld showerhead in addition to my fixed showerhead. Makes cleaning the shower a breeze! When I get to renovating my second bathroom it will have the same setup.
*The tongue and groove fir ceiling; I think it's the best thing in the room.
*Kohler Bancroft soaking depth tub! Could never go back to a shallower depth after having this! No problems with it.
*I did not install a medicine cabinet over my sink even though storage is limited in my small bathroom. I still do not regret that decision; I love the decorative mirror.
*I still love the mixed finishes that I chose--some chrome, some verdigris, some nickel, and some oil rubbed bronze. It still looks great to me.
*The Azek trim used to frame the tub area is holding up great.

Things I might have done differently:
*Chosen a better quality fan for inside the shower. GC knew I was on a budget, so he chose the most economical one. It is too loud for my taste. Also it is wired to turn on and off with the shower light, I would have preferred it to be separate.
*My vanity. I love the look, but the quality isn't great, and I bought it online from Overstock. It was supposed to have a marble top, but honestly I am not sure what kind of stone it is. It is cream colored and shows water spots like crazy. The storage drawer is a little sticky as well; there are no drawer glides. At the time of my reno, it was the only vanity in this style I could find that was in my budget. Now I see similar styles at HD and Lowes for much less! Go figure!

Other decisions:
We did not put in a wall hung toilet paper holder. I use a chrome toilet paper stand and that is just fine.
I did not hang any permanent towel bars or hooks. I couldn't decide where to put them, so instead I just hung a Command hook(chrome colored) to hang my towel on. This has held up just fine and I see no need to actually install bars or hooks permanently.

Teresa

o

Teresa, Thanks for responding and for your update! I'm considering getting a Toto toilet with the full skirt after seeing and reading about your bathroom!

o

Thanks for the update. This is still one of my favorite bath redos here.

o

I love your bathroom remodel. I am in the process of remodeling the master and hall bath (both 7x5). Thanks to you I didn't know there is skirted toilet. I am going to replace our TOTO Ultramax with the Vespin II. I hate getting on my hands and knees to clean the nooks and back of the TOTO.

o

That's really nice. I especially like the way your tiling comes all the way up to the window and the arch over the tub. And a very very good price for it being a complete redo and not a DIY. Congratualations.

o

Beautiful!!! The first thing I wondered about, though, was the decision to bring the tile all the way up over where the bottom trim of the window was. That's a minor detail, but I think the window looks unbalanced now, without the bottom trim matching the top trim. I would think a more standard way to do it would be to bring the tile up either just to the bottom of the trim, or slightly below. Was there a functional/structural reason for doing it, or just personal preference?

This is not a major criticism... you did a WONDERFUL job. It just jumped out at me, though.

o

the decision to bring the tile all the way up over where the bottom trim of the window was. That's a minor detail, but I think the window looks unbalanced now, without the bottom trim matching the top trim.

While I see what you're saying, I can't say it bothers me at all. I don't think I would have liked it better the other way, especially around on the sink wall.

o

Janealexa and JulieS19---you will love the full skirt!!!!

Writersblock--thank you, I am very flattered!

Birdgardner---thank you!

Lizzie nh---the decision to run the tile up to the sill was made by the GC. He went over it with me and after much deliberation he decided it would be better aesthetically to have the tile higher rather than lower on the wall to accomodate a wider window trim. I trusted him because he seems to have a good idea of what is pleasing to the eye. It doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps it just enhances the 'eclectic-ness' of the bathroom?
Standing in the room, I have pictured it both ways--a lower tile with enough width for the trim above; and also the wider trim set into the top run of tile---and I have no problem with the existing design. :)

o

Janealexa and JulieS19---you will love the full skirt!!!!

Writersblock--thank you, I am very flattered!

Birdgardner---thank you!

Lizzie nh---the decision to run the tile up to the sill was made by the GC. He went over it with me and after much deliberation he decided it would be better aesthetically to have the tile higher rather than lower on the wall to accomodate a wider window trim. I trusted him because he seems to have a good idea of what is pleasing to the eye. It doesn't bother me at all. Perhaps it just enhances the 'eclectic-ness' of the bathroom?
Standing in the room, I have pictured it both ways--a lower tile with enough width for the trim above; and also the wider trim set into the top run of tile---and I have no problem with the existing design. :)

o

girlcat36- Hi again, I just read a thread about skirted and non-skirted toilets. Someone talked about how skirted toilets are open in the back and that you can't clean back there...is that true??

Here is a link that might be useful: skirted vs non skirted toilets on gardenweb

o

It is open in the back. I am able to reach my hand back there and dust, but not actually into the opening itself. I don't have a problem with that; when I do dust behind there is very little dust, so it doesnt concern me.

o

I rarely post on this site but I appreciate all of the wisdom and generosity of spirit on here. I am just beginning (finally) to embark on a long overdo bathroom remodel.

While I love seeing the over-the-top, big budget bathrooms, I have to say that this is my favorite bathroom of all. It just proves that good taste and design does not mean you have to spend a fortune.

Congratulations and thank you for inspiring so many of us with your beautiful bathroom.

o

Just beautiful! I bought very similar tile at HD and did our bath on a budget as well. We are in the very last phase and was wondering what color was used on your walls??

o

ppcd---thank you so much for that lovely compliment! I am both surprised and pleased to have inspired so many with my remodel on such a small budget.

Thank you, rufinorex---the color on my walls is called Restoration Ivory by Sherwin Williams. The HD tile is holding up great, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

o

Wow! When I looked at the photos, I thought THAT'S what I want!! I'm getting ready to remodel a bathroom that is pretty much identical to yours. I'm saving this page to show my contractor. Good for you!!
P.S. How long did you have to go without being able to shower? I have only ONE full bath in the house, which is the one I'll be remodeling. I am wondering where did the remodeling begin? With the vanity/toilet/tub installations, or is it better to start with the tiles?
Again, thanks for sharing so much useful information.

o

Wow! That is AMAZING!!!!! We are doing a bathroom remodel on 1500$ And I know your pain! Hope mine looks that awesome when done!!! We are mid way into ours now, and I think we have the same style tile!

http://wp.me/p1MmG7-6C

o

Girlcat - great to hear as tile was. a last minute decision. Its amazing to see so many responses on our post. Great job!

Emmi- We just completed our bath on a budget of $3000. It took 5 days to complete! This was a DIY ... Day 1 - demo Day 2 - walls flooring and plumbing Day 3 - Day 4 shower and floor tile. Day 4 toilet and vanity install. Day 5 completion of electrical outlets.

We are at a stand still right now because I hated our paint color. I found another color hope its what I like.

Expect 2-3 days without a shower if all goes well. Unless your not changing plumbing than all your waiting on is tile install and grout.

good luck!

o

Thank you, IRhuel and rufinorox!

Emmi--Thank you! We had another full bath in the house, so showering wasn't a problem, thank Goodness.
The entire bathroom was gutted in March down to the studs, then the ceiling was bumped up and a closet door reorientated. Then it was sheetrocked and tiled(walls and shower). After that, the fixtures were put in. The bathroom wasn't ready for complete use until October. It took a while, but it was mostly my fault because I took my time researching and making decisions on products since I was on a tight budget.
I thought I would go insane trying to choose the tile!

o

I absolutely love your remodel! I keep going back to look at it for inspiration. Can you tell me what you used for your shower niche and soap shelf. What is the back of the shower niche? I love the clean look. Were you able to get the trim tile to match your subways at home depot also?

o

Aw, thanks, redoagain! The shower niche was created out of Azek, and the trim tile and soap dish were also from Home Depot.
Azek was also used for the trim around the shower itself, including the curved part at the top.

o

I love the remodel especially the new tiles!

o

Three years later...your bathroom looks great! I have a question about your shower niche. I too am using Home Depot subway tile for my shower with a niche. What type of tile did you use to trim the niche? I don't see any grout lines around the trim of your niche, but the only trim pieces I see at Home Depot are 2"x6" bullnose. I am trying to avoid grout lines in the middle of the trim of my 12x12 niche. Thanks!

o

Thank you, Meaves! Three years later, I still LOVE it!
The shower niche was constructed with Azek trim.
good luck with your remodel!

Teresa

o

Love your bathroom remodel! I like the bone colored subway tile as it ties in with your floor/wall tile. To me, that is more important than matching the white of the tub.
Didn't know there was such a thing as skirted toilets - wish I had those in my bathrooms!

o

Thank you, Igb47! Skirted toilets are the only way to go! :)

o

I just came across this thread, while on a "search". I found it not only inspiring, but full of good information. This proves you can take a small bathroom and with a modest budget, turn it into a gorgeous, inviting bath. Great job girlcat!!! If my small bathroom remodel turns out half as wonderful as yours, I'll be thrilled!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here