Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning an induction cooktop

Posted by sjhockeyfan (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 15:36

We just put ours "into service" last weekend. Windex and a microfiber cloth works great, however, I see that Bosch explicitly states not to use an ammonia-based product. Do those of you who DO use Windex on your induction cooktop just ignore that advice, or do you use a non-ammonia based version?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning an induction cooktop

When a manufacturer states not to use a substance on their product it usually means that they found that when they tested the substance it had detrimental effects.

I would use a non amonia cleaner

o

I use the Windex Multi-surface with vinegar (ammonia free) for daily cleaning, and the Weiman ceramic cooktop cleaner about once a week.

o

How about soap and water? That's what I use...dish soap on a sponge. Then rinse and dry with a microfiber cloth. Sparkles! Once every couple months I might go the extra mile and use the Ceramabrite cleaner. These surfaces are so easy to keep nice, why subsidize Windex? Detergent works on the greasiest splatters. Keep it simple........

o

julieboulangerie: "I use the Windex Multi-surface with vinegar (ammonia free) for daily cleaning, and the Weiman ceramic cooktop cleaner about once a week."

Except that we practice somewhat longer intervals for the Weiman's, that is exactly the routine and the products that we have been using on our induction cooktop (and its induction cooktop predecessor) for 14 years now. Other than dittoing "me too" I thus can add that it is an excellent long-term cleaning regimen.

o

If the cooktop is greasy, or especially dirty, I do the full soap and water/rinse treatment. Otherise I spritz with the Windex all purpose cleaner with vinegar, no ammonia, wipe with a microfiber. I do the ceramabryte treatment once every few months to really polish it up. I've had it three years and it looks great.

Beware of salt on the cooktop, and make sure you remove it before cleaning or polishing. Salt can scratch.

o

i use the weiman's cooktop cleaner when really dirty and for everyday, little messes, just soap and water and then wipe dry with "ecloth"...
these can be hard to find in stores, got mine in Home Goods about 2 years ago and haven't seen since, but u can order on amazon....

i have the ecloth kitchen cloth which comes with a polishing cloth, works great!!!!!
also have ecloth for windows and the granite cloth.
these just use water and they really do work. nice not using any chemicals and saves $$$
granite ecloth has been impossible for me to find/buy. thought i found an online retailer, ordered it, and then received an email that they no longer carry it :(
seems u can only get it from england, at least that's what i found....

great advice from cj47 about the salt!!

o

Thank you! Windex multi-surface with vinegar it is (and I'll get some of that ceramic cooktop cleaner too). Soap and water don't seem to work as well for me as it seems to for some others - streaks more.

o

I use Sparkle, the purple non ammonia stuff.

o

Beware using the vinegar version with some countertops. like marble, etc. It will etch them. It's fine for the glass, but the overspray isn't fine for some stones.

o

hollysprings, we're using Ceasarstone - is vinegar a problem?

o

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - or worse, like I'm affiliated with the company - I highly recommend giving Whink cooktop cleaner a try. I find it vastly superior to the other two brands mentioned in this thread.

In between, I use Windex Multisurface all over the kitchen, including the cooktop. They say it's safe to use and I haven't experienced issues otherwise.

o

food, I've never heard of Whink. Do you get it at the supermarket? And do you use Windex multi-surface with or without vinegar (I'm wondering about the scent of the version with vinegar).

o

SJ - My supermarket stopped carrying it a few years ago in favor of Weiman, and I hadn't thought to order it until recently. If you're an amazon prime member you can get it with free shipping. I recently posted about that, with pics, see link below. I promise I didn't exaggerate at all, and I'm only posting this because I find there's a clear advantage, not just perceived.

As for the Windex, I use the yellow anti microbial. No vinegar. I've also used the yellow Lysol kitchen cleaner, probably pretty much the same stuff but I've not researched to be sure it has no ammonia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread

o

Thanks - it's okay, I didn't think you were shilling for Whink!

o

I use Clorox GreenWorks all-purpose on our induction cooktop. Sometimes I will use dish soap, sometimes vinegar & water.

The real trick is making sure the dish cloth is clean. If it has some residual gunk or grease on it, the cooktop will not clean up bright and shiny. (ask me how I know ...)

@sjhockeyfan - Cesarstone is quartz like Silestone, and vinegar is fine on it. I use it all the time.

o

Mostly I use soap and water with WS scrubbies (they are designed for SS and smooth surfaces).
If it is a large mess - I use ceramic cleaner. It is a paste.

o

I use pure, white vinegar in a spray bottle. If I have heavy grease, Dawn on a sponge. Once I broke down and used 409 for a bacon grease mess, but I wouldn't do it regularly. For gunk, I soak it with vinegar and scrape it off with one of those little brown Pampered Chef scrapers. Dunno what they are called . . .

o

Soap and water or Clorox Green Works for normal use, and then the Weiman's for heavy dirt or to make it "company clean" LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here