Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacobsmishpacha

Convection Microwave

jacobsmishpacha
16 years ago

I hope hoping to install a convection microwave oven below counter. I don't think this is recommended for the Advantium. I was looking at the DCS Convection Microwave and it looks like it might fill my needs. Does anyone know anything about it?

Here is a link that might be useful: DCS Microwave

Comments (14)

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Jacob (love the username BTW!) - a couple of questions come to mind with your post. Do you have budget considerations at all? Why are you looking at a DCS (vs. other brands)? The reason I am asking is that it has come up on several threads that there really are only two MW/convection manufacturers, Sharp and Panasonic (and LG makes a few too). The other brands, like DCS, are re-badges of one of those two, along with a mark-up. If you are looking for a suite of DCS appliances, then the mark-up may be worth it to you. If not, you may do better with a Panasonic or Sharp Microwave Convection. Here is a recent thread on this subject (the OP of that thread was looking at a Viking).

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Convection MW's

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Also, I meant to add to my previous post that the DCS Conv/MW you linked to looks a lot like the Viking in the other post, which, it turns out, is actually the Sharp. Since that DCS you linked to costs about $700, but the Sharp is $465, you may want to consider the Sharp if you don't need a suite of DCS. Or the Panasonic MW/Conv. which is a nice looking machine.

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, alwaysfixin. I had no idea that almost all of those microwave ovens are actually by the same two manufacturers. I can look at them with a totally new perspective.

I am not selecting DCS to match a suite of appliances- I will have a mix including Blue Star and Monogram- so other than being attractive the look isn't my primary concern.

What I am looking for is a microwave which can also be used as a toaster oven for things like frozen pizza or fish sticks (I know a good mom would probably never feed these to her kids,but, sometimes desperation breeds compromise...). I saw that DCS had these features, could be faux built-in and didn't state that the oven had to be mounted countertop or higher.

I would be happy to consider an alternate brand which can also fill my requirements. I'll take a look at Sharp and Panasonic and see if one of these companies makes an equivalent product. Any suggestions?

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Check my link to the thread above. It contains the link to the Sharp model which is identical to the DCS you are looking at--except it's around $465 instead of $700. That same post contains a link to the Panasonic MW/Convection, a bit more expensive than the Sharp, a little nicer looking, but with similar functions.

• plllog
    16 years ago

A salesclerk today said that she thought that the "no under counter" thing about the Advantium was so that people wouldn't put them under cooktops. There are people who've mounted them successfully beneath counters. You might try doing a search :)

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Alwaysfixin. You are right- the Sharp is almost exactly like the DCS! It amazes me what the mark-up is for a slight facelift... and I thought only plastic surgeons were paid the big bucks for this!

Pllog- you are right- it seems that I could sneak the Advantium under the counter. I hope that the appliance installer will do it- otherwise I guess it will become a DIY job. It really has all of the features I am looking for, and I have heard so many good reviews about it.

So... I ended up buying two of the Advantiums (my kitchen is kosher, so I wanted one for meat and one for dairy). I will install one with a standard convection oven to make a double oven, and another I think I will put under the counter.

• dcalifornia
    16 years ago

I'm in Northern California...Bay Area to be exact...today I bought the DCS for $599...the curious thing was that the Sharp was $649...both were in stock. I had looked up the Sharp online and wanted to get the 930...Sharp online was cheaper but then there is shipping and I can always return this oven to the brick and mortar store. Now I hope this DCS will be great! Any one have any comments on its performance??

• jacobsmishpacha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let me know how it works! It looks like a really nice unit.
    (I used to live in the Bay Area- Berkeley- and miss it sometimes!).

• nicoletouk
    16 years ago

Be aware that mounting the Advantium under the counter will void the warranty.

I thought that GE also made their own convection/microwaves (in addition to the Advantium).

Nicole

• fandlil
    16 years ago

We have a countertop Panasonic microwave-convection unit for over 20 years and love it. But we hardly use the convection feature, and used the combo feature only once or twice a long time ago. It's inconvenient because you have to drag out the special tray when you use convection or combo. It's just easier to use the conventional or convection oven in our range. But the convetion and combo capabilities perform very well and are useful when you need an extra oven.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

I wasn't aware of that, Nicole (fortunately, we're not in harm's way). Are there any other mounting locations that will result in an Advantium's warranty being voided?

We are planning to install an over-range Advantium in a "breakfast bar" where a toaster or toaster oven and coffee maker will reside on a counter under it. The over-range Advantium will provide light and (recirculating) ventilation while avoiding the drop-down door of the in-wall model that I (perhaps alone) don't like.

• tom_g_dc
    16 years ago

I've been looking at several non-Advantium convection microwaves and a lot of them say 36" minimum above the floor. Does anyone know why this is? Is it just CYA so people won't put them under cooktops or is there a legitimate safety issue?

Thanks,
    Tom

• momotom
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Two questions about convection micros:

1) If I want to do a quick bake, brown function using convection only is there a long pre-heat issue I should know about? My toaster oven reached temperature very quickly.

2) Is the 900 watts of above mentioned Sharp enough power to get the big defrost or heating job done? I have a 1300 watt microwave now which works quite quickly.

3) Has anyone had experience with the Panasonic models?
    Thanks so much.
    Jane

• dcalifornia
    16 years ago

For momotom...I've just had my DCS24 which is the same as Sharp930...for one day...and I used the mic/conv twice yesterday...we are suffering from overeating during the holidays..so we are just grazing some of the leftovers...

I heated a cup of water...45 sec...and it was perfect...slightly too hot to sip at first...but that's how I like it..

I heated two pieces of pizza..on AutoSensor...for hotdogs..and I liked it...heated through but not lip burning hot...and while the cheese was melted...the crust was not soggy...

so...so far so good...I think I'll try to find a cookbook for the thing...anyone know of a good one???

I would like to try a cheesecake in it..