Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walter169

Convection Microwaves (quality and appearance)

walter169
16 years ago

In our new kitchen we will not have enough room for a double oven, and many have recommended we supplement our Bluestar 36 inch range with a good quality convection microwave (countertop syle). This leads me to seek advice in 2 areas:

First, I would love recommendations on selecting a convection microwave. We don't really cook much with microwaves, but I do care about the quality of the convection oven. So I am looking for quality in the convection oven feature more than the microwave feature. Does anyone have any recommendations or other insights? I know that convection microwaves are not as good as a regular oven, but would like the best I can reasonably and practically get.

Second, both my wife and I hate the look of microwaves, so we would like to hide it behind some kind of cabinetry door. We have shaker style cabinetry and want to add a door to cover where we are putting the oven, but are undecided on what kind of door (e.g., regular, tambour, barrister, etc.). Want it to look nice and not be too clunky to use, and not to reduce the space so much that we can't get a good-sized microwave. (But the cabinet is about 30 inches wide so i am not too concerned.) Does anyone have any advice on this too?

Thanks so much.

Comments (21)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Countertop convection/micro units tend to be pretty big. Although you have a 30-inch WIDE cabinet space, the units are mostly 20+ inches DEEP. Adding some vent/air space allowance, and an allowance for that door you want to hide the unit, you won't have much, if any, counter DEPTH left.

Of course, if the unit is going in a cabinet below your counter surface, the above (size concern) does not apply, but then unit will not be as conveniently located from a use standpoint.

• User
    16 years ago

There are basically 2 choices: Panasonic and Sharp. They make just about everyones' conv/micros, especially the counter/ pseudo built ins. What you are choosing is looks, do you want a suit from Viking, Wolf, Dacor, GE, ect.... If you are going to hid it behind cabinetry then the suit is less important. The hinding mech. is again, personal prefrence. Do you want to flip a hinged door, rool up a tambour, lift a door????? None are necessarialy better than another.

• mcferg626
    16 years ago

Do the Panasonic and Sharp countertop convection microwave ovens require special wiring or can you just plug them into any wall plug? Are they different than the Advantium in any significant way?

• walter169
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There do seem to be differences in features advertized in at least some of the convection microwaves. For example, the Viking, which seems the priciest, lists its power as 1450 watts (which is way more than all the others, which top out at 1000). Viking also lists broiler capacity as a feature, and the others don't. Are these real differences that may be worth the extra perice? Anyone have any experience? My assumption is that these do not require any special outlets. Is that right?

• histokitch
    16 years ago

The specs for the VIkingVMOC205 are identical to the Sharp 930cs, at least online. They both have a max amp usage of 1.55kw, 13.0 amps and identical dimensions. The Sharp also has a broil feature. Neither requires a special outlet.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelDetailedSpecs/0,1161,28-,00.html

Here is a link that might be useful: viking specs

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Yes, I too was under the impression that the Viking simply re-badged the Sharp, and then charged Viking prices for it. That's not to say it's not a nice machine, and, if you are going for matchy-matchy appliances (better known as a "suite" of the same manufacturer), and you are getting all Viking of everything else, then it may be worth the mark-up to get the Viking MW too. But it sounds like the OP is not going for a suite of same manufacturer, so could save some dollars and get the Sharp.

As has been noted here and elsewhere on this forum, there are basically only 2 MW manufacturers, Sharp and Panasonic (although LG makes a few too, but the majority are Sharp and Panasonic), and the other manufacturers simply re-badge them. I believe Sharp and Panasonic make good quality machines. As to the OP's concern about appearance, Panasonic seems to put a little more thought into their machines' appearance, and they look more modern and sleeker.

As to hiding the MW, some posters on this forum have put their MW in a pantry, out of sight. If you do not use a MW much, and you have a pantry, this might be an alternative solution for you. It's fairly easy to install an electrical receptacle in the pantry, and as already noted above, you'd just need a standard 110V for a MW/Convection.

Here are Sharp and Panasonic MW/Convection on Amazon, but you can do a search and perhaps find even cheaper. And then there's the Viking with its huge markup:

Panasonic Convection MW at Amazon $528

Sharp R-930cs at Amazon $465

Viking MW/Convection $849!

• walter169
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The difference I am seeing among the different models is in the "power output" listings, with a variation of 900 watts to 1450 watts. Most are listed as 1000, Sharp has one at 900, Panasanic says 1100, and Viking is listed by some websites as 1450. (Viking's websiter doesn't list its power output, but a number of other websites list it as having a 1450 watt output, which would make it the highest). On most other specs, they seem very similar. Is this a real difference that would correspond to anything a purchaser should care about?

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Walter, note that there are two output power specifications for a convection microwave: (a) the microwave output, and (b) the convection heater. For both the Sharp and the Viking microwave models discussed in this thread, which appear to be identical as Histokich pointed out, the microwave output is 900 watts and the convection heater output is 1450 watts--on both machines. You can find this information if you go to the respective Viking and Sharp websites and open up the respective instruction manuals for each machine (for Sharp, the outputs are on page 27 of the manual, and for Viking, the outputs are on page 37 of the manual). BTW, the Panasonic microwave output is 1100 watts and its convection heater output is 1400 watts (p. 28 of the manual).

So, really, I believe the Sharp and the Viking are the same machine, but if you want the Viking badge, you'll have to pay close to $400 more for it. The Panasonic has a different look, higher watts on the microwave, slightly lower on the convection. Hope that helps.

• alwaysfixin
    16 years ago

Also, just to address Mcferg626's question about the Advantium - I understand it is a great machine, but it only comes as an over-the-range or built-in wall unit, and the OP has specifically requested a countertop unit. The Advantium is also significantly more expensive than a MW/Convection oven. Mcferg626 should do a search on this forum for Advantium, and will come up with quite a lot of threads on the subject.

• User
    16 years ago

MC - they plug in with reg. 110v power. Best to have a dedicated line or not much else running off of it if it has multiple outlets on it. These are like real ovens they have a concealed heating coil and a conv. fan. The Advantium is a very fancy easy bake oven with a powerful light bulb.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    16 years ago

I have a KA MW/convect -- who makes that one? I am not sure that KA makes a countertop model (mine is a built-in).

Just to forewarn you -- do not plan on making anything messy (like roasting meats) in there. The ovens are not self-cleaning and they are a real pain to clean (especially the ceiling). I use mine mainly for frozen snacks for the kids (yes, it is a $1,000 glorified toaster oven).

• friedajune
    16 years ago

Stir FryI brings up a good point. Although it's not what the OP asked, or likely wants to hear, I am dubious of whether the MW/Convection is a worthwhile investment--just MHO. You can buy a large roomy good-quality Sharp MW (without convection but with all the other bells and whistles) for $100-125. But the convection element of a MW/Convection combo severely cuts back on the machine's capacity. Make sure you see one in a store before buying. A 1.5 cu.ft. MW/Convection (the largest size available in that combo) is not really very roomy due to the convection element. Also, I remember several posts on this forum of people complaining of the un-evenness of MW/Convection cooking, of difficulty making something as simple as popcorn, and other complaints. Would you be better off with just a good ol' toaster oven, plus an inexpensive MW? I thought so--that's what I did, and I am very happy with my choice. Just my $.02. (BTW, I am one of the people mentioned who have my MW in my pantry--out of sight.)

• goodcookin
    16 years ago

I have a countertop GE Profile convection microwave (je1590) and love it. It is definitely not hard to clean - just wipe out the stainless steel innards with a damp cloth after oven cooking. I use it as my second or smaller oven. Have done perfect lamb roasts, cakes and cookies and can do two levels of cooking at one time. Also use the microwave. And with all the reliability issues and poor designs inherent in so many cooking products, I can honestly say that the user interface is inherently logical, plus it has been operating faultlessly for over two years. When the new renovation is done this item will stay, but I may encase it as a built in.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the Thermador convection microwave model MCES is comparable to the Viking convection microwave model VMOC? I've read here that the Viking is a rebadged Sharp. Is the a Thermador rebadged model from another maker? I'm particularly interested in the convection comparison of the two appliances since the microwave power is sufficient for me in either one. Can a homemade apple pie turn out as well as in a full size oven? Does any convection microwave really broil well or if a want to sear a steak should I stay with a full size oven or do it on a cooktop as I usually do when I can't grill outside because of the weather? Thanks for any help you can give.

• momotom
    16 years ago

I just went thru this same issue! I can tell you for certain that the Thermadore conv/micro is not comparable to the Viking, nor any of the other Sharp clones. The MCES is basically a microwave oven with some convection capability. When I read the users manual I could tell this unit was not very versatile, and that there was barely any instruction on it's convection features. I downloaded the Sharp instruction manual (which is the exact manual you get off all the other brand websites.) Quite a difference! Try it yourself ...full of instructions on convection and combo cooking. Based on the layout and instructions with the MCES I would guess it was made by Panasonic. (Ihave a top line Panasonic Microwave now). I am exchanging the MCES for a Sharp tonight. From what I understand a convection microwave, while versatile, should not be confused with a $2,000+ Speed Oven like Miele's which has a full-fledged broiling element. Not sure how the Advantium 240 works. However, I just purchased a very expensive wall oven so why wouldn't I use that over a flimsy box in the wall to sear an expensive steak? The micro/convec I think is for smaller, less critical functions. With all these appliances, there seems to be so much redundency of function and each appliance costs a fortune whether $ is an issue of not. I just don't get it? I better get off my soapbox....Ha Ha Ha.
    Anyway I hope I saved you the time and energy that I wasted. Feel free to respond if you have any other questions.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

momtomom, A big thank you. This morning I tried to access the user manual on the Thermador website for the MCES just to make sure it was worth the money. None of the links worked for installation or use and care on any model. Just to try to get some useful information on these types of ovens I went to the Viking website and was impressed with what they claim the VMOC can do. Maybe this is why Thermador doesn't have a working link to the user manual---they know they can't measure up to the competition and they're trying to keep us in the dark.

• momotom
    16 years ago

Flseadog, It was my pleasure to share with you what I learned the hard way.

Got the Sharp microwave last night. It not only came with a full instruction manual, but with a lovely, well put together convection cookbook. It don't know if the appliance "convections, broils, grills, etc." as well as the accompanying book describes, but at least it advertises that it does. The unit is very striking looking, matches my Miele's beautifully, so if you don't have to have the Viking logo on the outside....go for the Sharp. Same exact machine, alot less expensive. Take the money you save and buy yourself something else! Ha Ha Ha

• chickadeead
    16 years ago

We have the GE Profile Convection/Microwave Oven and we really like it. You can put it on a microwave shelf (if you have one in your current cabinets) and GE sells a trim kit for it that makes it look like a built-in oven. Very neat product.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile Convection/Microwave Combination Oven

• flseadog
    16 years ago

momtomom, I just got back from driving 70 miles to see the Sharp. As you say, a good looking machine, and I'm not into logos so I now I'll have enough money to buy new cookware to use on the planned induction cooktop. Thanks again.

• kimbercin
    16 years ago

momotom: What sharp model did you buy? I am looking at the countertop sharp and panasonic. If you got the sharp 930, are you at all nervous about the reviews about the plastic parts they are using now and the problematic door and turntable? I need a countertop one so cannot consider the meile...

• lnhardin
    16 years ago

We got a convection/MW to carry us through the kitchen remodel 6 years ago. It was a GE Profile, about 1100 watts I think. Wasn't real happy using it as a Convection - it REALLY threw off a lot of heat back and sides. Built solid - we are still using it 6 years later, but only as a MW.