Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keitel_gw

Bluestar burner weirdness

keitel
9 years ago

Hi all.

When I try to use the burners on my RNB304 while the oven is pre-heating / firing the burners click constantly and the flame (while blue) is behaving erratically. Lifting way up off the burner and or disappearing. It's really hard to cook over such a volatile flame and the clicking is just plain annoying. This began happening intermittently this summer, but it's constant now.

Does anyone know of an adjustment I can make? Or what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• CarolorBill
    9 years ago

Sounds like a gas pressure issue. I just posted about an issue that may be causing your problem:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg101929466203.html
    If you don't have adequate pressure, your burners may be straining when your oven is stealing all the gas pressure. Just a thought. Bill

• weissman
    9 years ago

Actually it sounds like the oven exhaust is interfering with the burners. When I first got my DCS range, I had a similar problem - DCS replaced the exhaust grate at the back of the range so that the exhaust was not directed right at the burners.

• keitel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion CarolorBill, but I don't think it's gas pressure.

weissman, can you explain the exhaust thing a bit more to me, please.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

keitel, similar to the Wolf range/burner issues in 2007/08?

• weissman
    9 years ago

My range has "island trim" on the back - it has an opening in it through which the oven exhausts while operating. Originally, the opening was angled such that the exhaust hit the burners. This would cause the flame to temporarily go out which would then cause the ignitors to click to relight the flame.

The first set of people who had this problem were sent new burner grates that had a metal shield hanging down from the back of the grate that blocked the exhaust from hitting the burners. By the time I called them, they had redesigned the island trim so that the opening angled slightly differently such that the exhaust no longer went directly toward the burners.

• keitel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey cat_mom, I guess it is rather like that, but different because the clicking goes on for the entire time that the burners are on during the preheat. That didn't happen on the Wolf (if I remember correctly). I think that was more an issue of not lighting at all and / or dancing flame wasn't it?

weissman, I have island trim too, and the range is a few years old, and only started doing it recently, so, perhaps it's something else.

I've got an email in to Bluestar service. We'll see if they have some advice.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Just curious, does it happen on all the burners or just the rear burners? In my case, it was just the rear burners, the front ones weren't affected by the oven exhausts.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

It was all of the above. Burner shields were the solution in that situation.

I thought CarolorBill's thread re: gas pressure was interesting. During one of our calls to tech support, it was suggested that the range required a much higher gas pressure/psi than our gas company would provide to its residential customers. That could explain why many of us were told that "environmental factors" were the cause of our range/burner issues.

• keitel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It happens on all four burners. The clicking only happens on the particular burner that's lit (i.e. unlit burners don't click). I know it happens on all 4 burners because when it first started, I would move it to another burner hoping it, too, wouldn't click. But it did / does.

There's so much I've blocked out about my range experiences. At some point, I had the gas line to the Wolf range with the similar problem increased to 3/4" or 1" as a suggested (but ultimately unsuccessful) solution. I can't remember, but I think I have plenty of gas pressure coming to the range.

• gtadross_gw
    9 years ago

Hey keitel, does the clicking only occur when the oven is on?

Have you checked to make sure the ignitor wires aren't touching the drip tray underneath? That could cause clicking, especially if there's moisture on the drip tray, which could occur when the oven is preheating.

• keitel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ignitor wires aren't touching. I learned that trick years ago. It only occurs when the oven is on, and really, I've only noticed it when the oven is preheating and, thus, firing constantly.