Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolorbill_gw

Observation about "Pro" ranges

CarolorBill
9 years ago

Just an observation, but perhaps the information will help others out there. I'm looking at appliances to use in our kitchen remodel. We are looking for a 48" pro style range, and have visited some of the appliance stores in the NJ/NY area. It seems that one of the selling points they keep touting is the high BTU output of some of the models. As an engineer, the first thing that popped into my head was whether or not the typical residential house service would be adequate to supply the necessary gas pressure for those values. The salesman assured me that the stoves don't require any special gas services, but I requested to look at the installation instructions instead of taking their word for it. Each model I looked at required commercial level gas service! Most required a minimum of 10"WC, which is more than double the 4"WC that is typically provided to a home. I suppose the larger burners may give a higher output than a standard stove, but the output will be far from what's expected.
Anyway, it may be possible to upgrade your homes gas service if you are interested. I did so a number of years ago to accommodate a back-up electric generator that I installed. The service upgrade was done at no cost and the rates don't change. There are some costs associated though, as I had to add some additional valves, gauges, and each appliance now required a new regulator that could handle the higher pressure. The gas company was very much against doing it as well, but they had nothing in their policy preventing it from being done (it was quite a fight). There is no in-between service, so my home went from 4"WC to 2PSI (40"WC), which is crazy pressure. I have an adjustable regulator at the meter, which I adjust for a 15"WC service. Additionally, I put each of my gas appliances at their recommended level. The only exception is my grill, which I cranked up to give me amazing searing ability!!!
I hope this information helps others that may be considering a similar purchase. I know there's tons of information out there already, but I would welcome any recommendations of what 48" range the members would recommend. Thanks in advance for feedback. Bill

Comments (3)