Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammo_gw

Rate the noise of your oven's cooling fan!

pammo
16 years ago

I've read through all the threads commenting on the noise of cooling fans in modern ovens, and I have to say it make me want to look into buying an antique! The last thing I want is to listen to a loud fan while eating dinner, but I'm afraid I may have no choice. So help me out if you can. How noisy is your oven's fan? Is it a wall oven or part of a range? How long does the fan stay on after you turn the oven off?

I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has an electric wall oven with no fan at all.

Many thanks, Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on oven fans

Comments (26)

• mcmann
    16 years ago

My Dacor double wall ovens are exceptionally quiet. I can't even tell you how long the fan runs because you can barely hear it. I have to stand next to the oven to detect the sound.

I'm confused about your last request. If someone has an electric oven without a fan - then there wouldn't be any noise associated with a fan. Did you mean something else?

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

I think she meant that if there is an oven available that has no fan, she would love to learn what oven that is.

• pammo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, solarpowered, that is what I meant. Sorry if it was confusing.

mccann, thanks for the info on your Dacor. Will take a closer look at them. I'm trying to remember why I had mentally crossed them off my list - a problem with the oven door? Will do some more research.

I realize now that I can add my own experience with my last oven purchase, which was F&P. I found the fan to be moderately annoying. As someone else on the forum did (with another brand), I got into the habit of leaving the oven door open after baking to help the thing cool off more quickly, so we wouldn't have to listen to the fan so long. I'd rather not have to do that in the much smaller kitchen I'm now renovating.

Looking forward to hearing more from others.

Pam

• mcmann
    16 years ago

Pam - There are plenty of posts here about Dacor that will turn up if you search. I've commented in may of them but I didn't want to go off topic here. I had both the Classic and the new models with the Discovery panel.

I also have an older GE Profile wall oven at our vacation home that doesn't have a fan and it's worked great - but it's over 9 years old so that probably makes any comparison mute.

Many of the new ovens have an electronic control panel located above the oven door which can be sensitive to heat. That's why many of these ovens have fans and broil with the door shut. Leaving the door open to cool the interior may be harmful to the electronics.

• User
    16 years ago

I have a Dacor oven, and I don't think the fan is very loud at all.

I did notice the fan when I first started using the oven 3+ years ago. But that was because it was a new sound, and I'd never had a good quality oven before, with or without a fan.

I do always turn the oven light on when I bake so I know turn it off when I finish baking, because it's so quiet.

I think you'll find all the new appliance noises fade into the background kitchen noise after a short while, once you start working in your new kitchen.

• ellene613
    16 years ago

The oven in my Bluestar gas range is virtually silent. It has no computer electronics and therefore no need for a cooling fan. It does have a convection fan. The convection fan, controlled by a manual toggle switch, is very quiet but not silent.

There are a few other all gas ranges (NOT dual fuel) that I'm pretty sure have no cooling fan, including Viking, Lacanche, Wolf, Peerless-Premier, and the non-self-cleaning DCS.

In wall ovens, I suspect that both the Bluestar and the American range wall ovens are low tech enough to not have electronics requiring a cooling fan. The American Range wall oven comes in electric as well as gas, Bluestar is gas only... Eurostoves sells both, maybe they know.

• john_com
    16 years ago

I have a df Wolf and fan noise is no issue at all.

• pammo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should specify I'm looking at 27" single electric wall ovens. I'm not so concerned about the noise of the convection fan while baking, because I can choose conventional baking and avoid it if necessary.

I know that this might sound like a peculiar concern, but my house is tiny and the oven will be situated a few feet from the dining room table. I'm now taking a closer look at Viking and a few others. So this is really a big help.

• hannah_ma
    16 years ago

I know Gaggenau is very quiet.

Isn't funny everyone is making every other appliance in your kitchen so quiet, that one new noise drives people crazy.

I live in a loft and noises travel up at night. I can hear my wine cooler cycle at night and I also hear my dishwasher dispenser open. But when I am cooking noises don't bother me.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

I haven't checked out the Wolf wall ovens at all, but our AG range has a fan that only operates when it is switched on. If you flip the switch up it's convection, down it's for cooling (same fan, when in convection mode it only runs while oven is on and stops/starts when the door is opened/closed, while in cooling mode it stays on regardless of oven being on, and runs with the door opened or closed). It is extremely quiet. If the range hood is off (turned off after cooking is completed), if I have the oven cooling fan running, I can hear a slight buzzing/motor noise. If our range hood is on, even on the lowest speed (practically silent), I don't think you can really tell the oven fan is running.

If the Wolf wall ovens are anything like that sound-wise (don't know if they can be turned on/off manually), you should be fine.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Pammo -- Highly recommend the Miele. Very quiet; excellent oven that was recommended here.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I went to a live demonstration night at my local appliance store for Dacor appliances and was AMAZED at how quite the double wall ovens were! You heard nothing until the oven was opened to remove an item and then it was silent again once it was closed! That closed the deal for me - I currently have a GE double wall unit that you hear the cooling fans running for two hours after turning it off! VERY loud and very frustrating!

• pammo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just came back from the Miele showroom (the corporate headquarters is a few miles from my house) and was really impressed with how quiet the oven was. I mean, wow. Only problem is that I would have to have a cabinet remade to accomodate it since the dimensions are larger than what I originally planned (talk about doing things ass-backwards!).

I just looked at Dacor's dimensions. It would fit. So glad to know that this might work for me.

I think it would be good to keep this thread going, as a resource for others who have the same concern with regard to noise. So, folks should feel free to chime in no matter what size oven they have.

Pam

• cavu
    16 years ago

I've got the Miele 4780BP (27") and I second what rococogurl says about the Miele being very quiet. It does run for about an hour though.

Cavu

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

My oven cabinet was adjusted as well when I switched out my old oven for the Miele. It's not really noticeable.

Everyone makes their own decisions. All I would suggest is to read the various Dacor threads on this forum and especially comments by sshrivastava before seriously considering that one.

Before my purchase I checked around very carefully as I didn't want future problems. So far 0.

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

My Electrolux is very quiet, as well. I didn't even realize there was a cooling fan until I was standing in front of the oven and noticed there was warm air venting out.

• pammo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone so far. I really think this sort of thread could help a lot of us as we make our choices. Pam

• bretonb
    16 years ago

I had a problem with a convection bake fan. It became very noisy. Almost had a tinny sound. I knew there was something wrong because the convection roast fan was very quiet. I had a service call and he tightened a screw. It was ok for awhile and then had to have it tightened again. Don't rule out that there may be something wrong with the fan, making it very noisey.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Chiming in here, since I'm looking for ovens and am considering Dacor, DCS, and Thermador in the 27". Everything is a tradeoff -- but I, too, want a quiet fan. My current exhaust fan on my upper oven OTR is a horror - it goes on by itself when I am using the upper oven and stays on forever. I only use that oven in emergencies, as a result. I have an old one-piece, 2 oven range that they don't make any more Thank goodness!

• Kurt Fisher
    6 years ago

I have a Jenn-air double wall oven, The top oven 30 watt fan is not to bad the lower oven fan is 39 watt and is intolerable . Trying to spin a fan to fast is always going to make excessive noise. If you can leave the oven open after shut down I found the fan shuts down much faster.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

I can hear my Bluestar wall oven if I listen for it, but it's not objectionable.

• boba1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Similar to Kurt above, I have a KitchenAid freestanding double oven induction range. The fan is definitely noiser than my 44 dB dishwasher. I too have found if I open both oven doors after either of them is used, the fan turns off in about 20-30 minutes, give or take a few minutes. If I don't open the oven doors, the fan will run for 4 hours.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

We replaced a Thermidor 48” with a new one because the other was more than 20 years old. The old one was much quieter and had I know the new one would be as loud as it is, I probably would have looked at alternatives. It drives me crazy

• Adrianne Kimber
    3 years ago

I have a Thermador 48" and the fan on it drives me crazy, too.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We just bought a 30" Thermador gas range model PRG305WH/04 and the oven fan sound is not objectionable. We could easily have a conversation right next to the oven while it's on without having to raise voices.