Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lreaves995

Thermador p304 cooling fan is annoying

lreaves995
17 years ago

I just purchased a Thermador P304 30" all-gas range. When the oven is on the cooling fan runs continuously, blowing hot air from a vent between the stovetop and the oven door. It feels like a blow dryer aimed at your thighs. Not only is it annoying, but it heats up the kitchen.

The dealer says that all manufacturers are going toward this same cooling method to protect the electronic controls. He has offered to trade it out but I'm not sure what to replace it with. Any ideas?

Comments (24)

• ellene613
    17 years ago

Not all gas ranges have cooling fans, because there are a few gas ranges do not have electronic controls. The tradeoff is that these ranges also do not have self-cleaning, and often do not have clocks or timed bake. The non-electronics ranges include non-self-cleaning all gas versions of Bluestar, DCS, Peerless-Premier, Viking, and Wolf. And I think LaCanche.

I prefer no electronics on a range. There is less stuff to break on a simpler product. If performance is your main criterion, Bluestar makes a terrific range -- you can read some of the many Bluestar threads on this forum.

• markw
    17 years ago

I suspect if you make it a point to look for a range without a cooling fan, they are out there. For example, we have an Amana AGR5735 gas range with electronics and self cleaning but no cooling fan and it costs all of $800, so you could buy a half a dozen of them for the price of the Thermador. Of course, if you're looking for the "pro" look, then it probably wouldn't satisfy you - although I have to say performance is excellent. My guess is it has to do with *where* the electronics are situated. Built-ins force the electronics to the front, right on top of the oven, making the fan almost inevitable, as ellene613 said. Our Amana has the cooktop valves on the front but oven controls and electronics are on the back panel. I think that might get them far enough away from the oven to eliminate the need for a fan. I don't know if there is such a thing as a pro-style range that would do that.

• lreaves995
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really don't mind having a cooling fan, it's just the Thermador blows out the front about thigh-level. It becomes uncomforable when you're standing there using the cooktop. It makes more sense if it would vent out the top or back. Does anyone know of one that does that? I want to stick with a pro-style range.

• kmfordyce_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I just got one myself and I think this is a very stupid design. I don't know what to do.
    I think Thermador needs to re-engineer this idea. I sent them an email with no response. I guess I will have to call them. They should pull air in from the front and vent it out the back vent. What moron engineered this? Do they ever cook? I am very unhappy.

• wrsjr
    17 years ago

We also just installed a Thermador P-304 and are incredibly upset about this "cooling blower" function. It makes our kitchen about 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house, and does indeed blow on you while you stand at the range. We never even considered that this would be a concern, having had a relatively simple KitchenAid all-gas range in the past that didn't have this problem. I'm calling to call Thermador, but I suspect there's nothing they will do. It's apparent we should have spent the extra bucks for the dual-fuel, but we just never even thought about this issue. We're not happy!

• atweis
    17 years ago

I'm very concerned about this also. can anyone who's lived with this range, or any of the Thermador ranges with the loud cooling fan, add any thoughts or opinions to a potential buyer? Thanks in advance.

Adam

• hybrid8
    17 years ago

The Thermador P304CS is also at the top of my list for a few reasons and as far as I can tell, the venting of the fan is the only negative I've found.

The Thermador should have an intake at the front and vent out the top at the back - I think it does the reverse if you look at the fan and ventilation placement at the back in the manual.

Many ranges have fans, but I've not heard of any of them blowing the exhaust directly back at the operator.

All the ranges mentioned above also have electronics. They all contain electronic ignitors and thermistors for starters. Anything with a convection fan will also have additional electronics. This fact has little or nothing to do with a self-clean feature (which is not a feature I desire on any product anyway).

I would also be interested in the Wolf AG, but at this price one must seriously also consider aesthetics since they will all cook equally well. The AG Wolf just looks like the Duel Fuel model's poor cousin. Why hasn't Wolf updated the frame and fascia for their entire line? The new door is a huge improvement, but the AG still doesn't hold a candle to the look of the DF.

I'm not buying until November of this year, so I have some time to see possible product refreshes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bruno

• linnymac
    17 years ago

The only dissapointment in my new kitchen is the noise of this fan. I even went out of my way to have my hood vented out with an external blower. I love my six burners and the 2 extra low ones and I love the softer lines and star burners. Is there a way to have this blower disconnected?

• hybrid8
    17 years ago

I'm sure it's easy to disconnect. And I'm pretty sure you'll end up with problems if you do.

Manufacturers don't normally add extra parts just because they can. Every extra screw costs money. If the fan is there and working all the time, it means problems will occur if it doesn't. Problems that would likely cause a lot of customer support calls and service visits. Which means really angry customers.

To put this into perspective, how loud is "loud?" Try and compare it to some other sound others may be familiar with.

Bruno

• svcmgr
    17 years ago

As an ex-Service Manager for B/S/H/ Home Appliances Corp, (Thermador's parent company), I must say Bruno is correct. Thermador has designed a specific airflow pattern throughout the range cabinet to allow for 0" installation clearance. These cooling fans play an active role in keeping the range's exterior surfaces at a safe temperature, thus preventing damage to your surrounding wood cabinets.

The disconnection of the cooling fans will cause a variety of oven function problems as the airflow is monitored by sensors/switches while the oven is in use. In fact, the oven's electronic control module contains a program which monitors the airflow sensors, along with the use of standard high temperature limiter/cutoff switches; once the cooling fans are disconnected, these safety mechanisms will prevent normal oven operation.

However, I will agree the cooling fans are very noisy and this is due to the fact they run at hi speed at all times, when active. The fan does not change speeds based on actual oven temperature; ie: Hi fan speed for self-clean function (very hi oven temp). Instead, the Thermador Pro-Series cooling fans operate at full speed, even when baking at normal temperatures.

I must tell you that customers who recently acquired this range would arrive at our factory showroom to compare the fan noise levels to the unit recently installed in their home. Some customers would sit and listen for hours to verify the intensity of the noise they were hearing and to decide if they should return the unit to their selling dealer. Unfortunately, not all selling dealers display their ranges "live" so the customer is very surprised when this range is started in their home for the first time and that's when the disappointment begins, because not only does the cooling fan operate during oven use, it continues after baking is completed while the oven interior cools down to a specific temperature. In some cases, customers have mentioned they can hear this fan "after-run" throughout their home for hours...very annoying for some.

Best to listen before your buy, as everyone's expectations are different.

• ftwobenny
    17 years ago

I listened and did not find it bothersome in the least.

• PRO
    Firehouse Painting
    17 years ago

does anyone know if the DF also has the fan?? or is it the AG only? In the marker for a Thermador 36"DF w/grille

• svcmgr
    17 years ago

The duel fuel (DF) is also equipped with the noisy cooling fans. Be sure to listen to these units in a quiet, home-like environment, if possible. Other background noises in a showroom can distract you from hearing the fans at full intensity.

• palmetto_moon
    17 years ago

As a Thermador owner, I will make sure to check out fan noise FIRST when I look for my next range. White noise is the bane of my existence, and SVCMGR's advice about listening to a "live" appliance in a home kitchen setting is so true. I've had my Thermador for a few years and I've not noticed the air blowing out of the front--but this fan noise is absolutely maddening.
    I figured all other gas ovens with electronics also had loud fans--and I wouldn't have thought the DF would have had it too! I now have a Wolf electric wall oven and consquently go out of my way to use it and never use the Thermador oven. It has a fan, but it's not as loud and it's also situated further away from where I stand (plus its enclosed underneath the counter, to be fair, so maybe that dampens the noise).

Once you realize that it doesn't have to be that way, it makes you sad you're listening to all that racket, esp. if you went out of your way to get a quiet hood.

• evike
    16 years ago

Hi, does anybody have a Dacor pop up vent for their cook top?
    I was considering to buy a Dacor cook top, with the Dacor pop up vent, but I have heard it is very noisy with the under cabinet blower. I don't have any other choice because the basement is finished and an outside blower is not an option. I would appreciate your comments. Thank you

• bananas
    16 years ago

Has anyone found a professional style rangge with an acceptable level of exhaust fan noise and out the front
    annoying air. My range is a duel fuel 30 inch Thermador.

I am hoping someone has a Wolf, for instance, all gas or duel fuel range with acceptable levels of noise and air flow.
    I realize thia is subjective but I am hoping that someone has experienced both,

• cavu
    16 years ago

Learned about the Thermador fan on this site and went to hear one. It is very loud.

I ended up with the Wolf all gas range. No electronics, so no fan needed. There is a convection fan, but it's manual so you can turn it off.

I also got a Miele wall oven which has electronics and a cooling fan, but it's almost silent.

Cavu

• jc1967
    14 years ago

This is great! I just googled the thermador range concerning the aggravating cooling fan issue. What do I find but many others complaining about this incompetent design problem. We will be building a new house soon and plan to sell this piece of junk or if we can't sell it will donate it. It did come in handy this winter. We used it to assist our air to air heat pump in heating our house. Just turned on the oven and had instant forced air heat. Thanks to all who posted these threads.

jc1967

• Chip Harris
    8 years ago

I just purchased all Thermador appliances including a 36 inch dual fuel range. I love the range. Yes, the fan is a little noisy, but if you leave the oven door cracked after you are finished using it, the fan stops within a couple minutes. Totally worth it for the stove performance IMO.

• deanieandpeg
    8 years ago

The high pitched fan of our Thermador dual fuel 30" pro- range is a constant irritant in our otherwise "perfect" kitchen remodel. My husband just got done pulling the oven away from the wall to see if there was anything he could do to quiet the whistling but it looks like there aren't any easy solutions. I would be greatly appreciate if anyone has a solution to peaceful cooking. The only solution I can see is to sell the range and that isn't viable for us right now. It surely seems like Thermador could have come up with a quieter design. I feel deceived by how it's presented in the quiet showroom.

• bardzil
    8 years ago

does anyone know if the thermador 48" pro grand steam range also has this loud fan problem?

• AJH
    6 years ago

Yes it does. The fan for the steam oven is quieter and acceptable. The fan for the oven is very loud even on standard bake setting. Does anyone know of a 48" oven that can bake without a fan on?

• HU-293304230
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thw noise is horrible i hate the range because of it if i could afford to get rid of it i certainly would Don’t buy one