Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psient

Psient: Update on new 36' American Range

psient
13 years ago

Hello All:

I purchased an American Range (AR) about 4 years ago. At that time if someone posted a message with a concern or problem the Vice President of the company would respond. This was a good thing and played a major role in my making the CHOICE between AR and Blue Star (BS).

Their Vice President has left the company. He would routinely respond to concerns and issues on this forum. I spoke with him several times and was convinced I had made the right choice. I posted extensively concerning my experiences after I took possession of the oven but that thread has been removed from GARDEN WEB . . . at least I could not find it. That may be the result of such a minimal search capacity provided by GARDEN WEB; I do not know.

I received the range with a gas leak and a problem with the leveling legs. A repair tech was sent out and immediately fixed the problem. JR was the name of the manager that directed the service calls. JR also sent me new leveling legs.

To my reason for starting this thread:

I have used the broiler no more than 5 times. It now is broken and I will have to spend over 100 bucks to fix it. I live in the south east end of the LA basin in CA. The service tech they have is in GRANADA HILLS about 1 hour away. I asked if I could fix the ignitor myself and was told by ALEX he could not help me as company policy prohibited it.

Thus, I called AR to see if they would stand behind the product even though it is out of warranty given that I have not used the broiler. No dice. I conclude that they will not stand behind THEIR supplier of the ignitor (I suspect this is the problem). It probably is considered a wear part.

I'll get it fixed no problem. The oven overall has marginally met my expectations.

I will buy a BLUE STAR rather than a AR in a year or so. I was considering ARs induction/Gas 36". However, one year with no option for an extended warranty seems to be a failed policy for me.

HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN LET-DOWN BY AMERICAN RANGE AFTER OWNING ONE FOR SEVERAL YEARS?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments (7)

• amcook
    13 years ago

No manufacturer I know of will give you a warranty for 4 or more years. It's unfortunate that it happened but it's not that unusual. If it's only $100 for the repair then count yourself lucky. I had a control panel on a decor oven go out after about 5 years and that cost us >$400 to repair. If you really want to do it yourself there are plenty of parts places to get parts. If you have the part number then just google it and see what you find. If not, you'll have to search by description.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of site to order parts from...

• johnnytugs1
    13 years ago

psient
    wow, thats a surprise i was searching google for any info on that and i came across an old post of yours. i believe you bought your range in may of 2008 and recieved it in early june. did you try contacting Shane Demirjian 818-753-9893 he's the head honcho there. best of luck,
    john
    917-842-1809

• psient
    Original Author
    13 years ago

amcock:

I assume you were using your range yes?

I was not using the ignitor for the boiler at all. Why do you instruct me in the matter of warranties?

Let me restate. There was no in house provision for my particular situation. The company was summarily unresponsive. The service call plus the part was $300. The company was UNRESPONSIVE.

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

Let me restate.

I just read the original post several times and don't see where ANY of that was previously stated. What is an "in house provision"? How was the company unresponsive. Why say "over $100" if it was $300 and then get annoyed when someone says $100?

Regardless, the only point of my post is to give you the link to the thread you were looking for, from when you installed the range two years (plus two days!) ago. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

• roxy63
    13 years ago

I was interested in the 36" Pro Series inovection convection. This free standing range looked like it met all my criteria. However, I am so turned off about the gas leaking and the hot knobs and the lack of durability/defects in general. I would expect AR to have addressed these problem considering so many consumers experienced the same issues (2) years ago, if not longer. Does anyone have anything to add about AR wall ovens? How about the AR drop in ranges ? I was thinking 36" Bertazzoni at one point paired with a Blue Star wall oven. I want a gas convection oven and feel limited in my choices. Any comments? Thanks

• mkiv808
    13 years ago

I just got one and so far they are *extremely* responsive with their customer service.

• mkiv808
    13 years ago

Also the original poster seems to have some issues beyond his range. He has replied to every thread regarding AR about his experience. Vendetta, much? What company would replace ANYTHING after the warranty has expired four times over? Give me a break.