Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrod6

Electrolux company history and brand reliability

jerrod6
15 years ago

For the past 3 weeks I have noticed TV commercials for Electrolux appliances. There are also threads on the forum regarding Electrolux refrigerators, and ovens. Can anyone give a history of this company(where it came from, when, etc ) and provide any comments or statistics pointing to what kind of reliability their products have?

Comments (20)

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Here is their timeline: Electrolux History

Headquarters location: Goransgatan SE-105 45 Stockholm

Its Brands:

AEG
    Aerus
    Allwyn
    Arthur Martin
    Bendix
    Corberó
    Dito Sama
    Dometic
    Electrolux
    Elektro Helios
    Eureka
    Faure
    Flymo
    Frigidaire
    Jonsered
    Juno
    Kelvinator
    Major Appliances Business
    Marazzini
    Maxclean
    McCulloch
    Menalux
    Molteni
    Partner
    Poulan
    Progress
    Rex
    Rosenlew
    Samus
    Tappan
    Therma
    Tornado
    Tricity Bendix
    VOE
    Volta
    Voss
    Wascator
    Wascomat
    Washex
    WCI
    Weed Eater
    White Consolidated Industries
    White-Westinghouse
    Zanker
    Zanussi
    ZEM
    Zoppas

It owns this subsidiary in Costa Rica: Atlas Electrica SA

In 2005 it was the third-largest household appliances maker in Europe.

You will probably need to be appliance specific to learn more about reliability, and approach the service tech forums.

• baver
    15 years ago

Terrible product in North America. Headquarters for NA is in Augusta, Georgia. Refrigerators made in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Closed its Michigan plant a few years back, left 2700 workers unemployed. Not that they are the only company doing this, but..... Search for Electrolux ICON refrigerators in this forum, what a nightmare. Allegedly, the Electrolux ICON is now their "Super-Premium" brand, while Electrolux is their "Premium" brand, while Frigidaire is just...well, Frigidaire.(According to a very recent article in the "Retail Observer" magazine.) The old Electrolux vacuums you may be familiar with weren't made by Electrolux at all, but by Aerus, which now manufactures its own line as Electrolux NOW makes its own in North America. Personally, find something else. There products are just plain crap.

Oh by the way, the Electrolux ICON ovens were made by Dacor. Not sure if they are still making them for Electrolux or not.

Electrolux also now manufactures most of the kitchen appliances for Kenmore. Not all, but most.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Baver, I guess looks aren't everything! The new Electrolux ovens sure look beautiful and I have been trying to decide between them and Monogram. I really appreciate your info on Electrolux. That's it, I am going with GE Monogram ZET2...unless you know something awfull about them, too. I know you can't please all the people all the time, I am just hoping to get a good, reliable product. Thanks

• cooksrus
    15 years ago

Baver,

Before you trash Electrolux why don't you go to the Icon thread, I think you will find that only a hand full of people are posting problems there.

You want to trash Electrolux because they closed plant?

Ok, how about GE closing its Ft. Myers Florida offices where all of GE's billing and accounts payable the MSNBC and NBC billings were handled. GE decided that instead of paying Americans to handle all of that, they would ship it over seas and pay just over 1/3 the amount in wages they were paying Americans for the same job.

How about them apples!

Now back to Electrolux, yes there are a hand full of people with a problem, but how many thousands of those Icons are in peoples homes with no problems what so ever?

Those with problems post all over the internet, those without problems rarely post on the internet.

I am buying an Electrolux electric range and refrigerator SxS to be delivered on May 12, 2008.

Every company from Electrolux to Whirlpool to GE to Bosch to you name them have a few products that just don't work. That does not mean the company is bad.

By the way Whirlpool makes most of the Kenmore appliances, Electrolux and Bosch make a few for them.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

mominthedubc - I would really hesitate making a decision based on what one person (baver) with an obvious bridge to burn believes about Electrolux.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Wow, "baver" certainly opened up Pandora's box! Okay, I just need to hear something really great (over and over again) about any oven to help me decide, OR something really bad about another to help me decide against. I will hold off on making a decsion for now. Thanks!

• baver
    15 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize I was going to cause such a stir. I realize most appliance mfrs have moved their production to lower cost locales...I find it disgraceful but a common practice. As far as the product though, I stand by my posting. By all means do a search on Electrolux on this website, there are many people who have had similar experiences (especially with the refrigerators). A couple of the postings also have links to other sites which talk about the products. Yes, I had a terrible experience with this company. Do a search of my postings, that is fine. I, however, am not alone with my particular problem. One of my biggest beefs is how the company handled it. Very poorly. Ask repair people about brands requiring more maintenance, and more often than not, Frigidaire (Electrolux's former flagship brand in North America) will come up as the absolute worst, hands down. Perhaps, they are attempting to change this by coming in with the new "Electrolux" branding, but I would be highly skeptical. I think they have very well designed products (ICON, the basic Electrolux, and even several Frigidaire products), but IMHO they are junk. Sears (Bought out by Kmart), has shifted much of its Kenmore branded appliances to Electrolux over the past few years. That is a fact. Yes, Whirlpool does make some as well, but not nearly as much as in the past. I am not pushing any one company, I am just trying to let Jerrod6 know of my experiences and point out a few items I have learned over the past 10 years of dealing with appliances, nothing more. There are rotten apples among all the mfrs, some just have more than others.

• baver
    15 years ago

Here's a couple of threads to look through....

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Ovens

• baver
    15 years ago

Click on the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux refrigerator

• baver
    15 years ago

From another website

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux refrigerator

• baver
    15 years ago

If you look at the above link, I am NOT Entasis. Sorry, I couldn't edit the above post after it was posted.

• whenzuc
    15 years ago

we just installed Electrolux Icon Professional Line-- Speed oven, Oven and Warming drawer. All work well. The glides in the oven are great. The appliance store where i bought them in NY is giving a cooking class next week for Electrolux purchasers. So far- so good.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

baver - it is disingenuous to draw conclusions across an entire line based on one specific appliance. No manufacturer is strong across the entire range of appliances, which is why it makes sense IMo to mix and match. To take your and a few others problems with the Electrolux refreigerator and say Electrolux ovens and all other Electrolux appliances are terrible is foolhardy.

Furthermore, I challenge you to find any appliance where someone hasn't had an issue. So while you do have your axe to grind against electrolux and cherry picked a few threads where some folks have had some issues, you can find just as many threads where people are happy with their Electrolux range / ovens

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy with Electrolux

• oskiebabu
    15 years ago

Unless there are recalls or stats you can see in CR or other place, you are always going to find people unhappy with every brand known to mankind and they are the ones most likely to write. Somehow Sub Zero maintains a good name even though its refrigerators have the worst reliability.

If you are worried get a warranty for 2-3 years addition. Make sure you get a bargain on the warranty too. I usually egt a bargain on them by saying to the sales person--I think I'll shop elsewhere, or if you think it is a well-made product, why should I be the one taking the expensive gamble?, These often work. They work even better when buying a lot of appliances.

Greg

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Still trying to make a decision on most of our appliances so I appreciate everyone's input. I understand that you can't please everyone all the time or else there would just be one product out there. I like hearing the horror stories and the good ones!

Oskiebabu, Thanks for the advice on the extended warranty, I'll try that. Initially I was not going to get an extended warranty but after reading all the threads on GW and seeing that there are problems with every great product, I think I will get one now.

• baver
    15 years ago

Berryberry, I am not sure 52 follow-ups could be considered a small number of folks on this website. This site is about experience and opinions and I have given mine. Feel free to buy what you want and I hope you all have positive experiences with your purchases. I just think there are better choices at that price point. Enough said.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

baver - you completely missed my point which is not surprising given the axe you have to grind over Electrolux. I said, it is disingenuous to draw conclusions across an entire line based on one specific appliance. No manufacturer is strong across the entire range of appliances, which is why it makes sense IMo to mix and match. To take your and a few others problems with the Electrolux refrigerator and say Electrolux ovens and all other Electrolux appliances are terrible is foolhardy.

So you cherry picked a few threads - but comparing refrigerator experiences to oven experiences is a fool's game. And the one you listed dealing with ovens had comments from two people on it - no more. Yet you ignored threads (like the one I posted) where people were happy with their Electrolux ovens.

Look, it is obvious to any objective observer here you have a major bias which doesn't help anyone. As to me, I don't own an Electrolux appliance (although I did consider the range) so I don't have any bias and no horse in the race(I just bought a Miele DW, Bluestar range, Independent Hood and Samsung Refrigerator).

• baver
    15 years ago

Berryberry,
    Perhaps if you owned at least one of their products, dealt with their customer service, or talked to the repair people who deal with their appliances you could understand the issues. I am saying, this in not an isolated incident. Again, most people on this site want to hear of others ACTUAL experiences with these products, not just - all companies make some good things and other things which aren't so good. - I don't understand how you can post a thread on the merits of the Electrolux oven, without even trying it. Jerrod6, I am sorry the tone of this thread has gone downhill, I will stop posting on this subject.

• berryberry
    15 years ago

baver - somehow I knew that would be your retort. You are quite predictable. Of course, you don't own the Electrolux oven either. Have you even looked at one? Tested one out in a store? Considered one strongly? I have.

But you - well you had a bad experience with a refrigerator and now you are hellbent on some crusade against Electrolux. Your bias is helping no one here

• phil_finn
    15 years ago

I will say that the first comment was not fully correct. They are not the third-largest household appliances maker in Europe.

They are the third largest conglomerate in the entire world!! Meaning theyÂre the third biggest company there is. In 2005 they became the #1 household appliance manufacturer in the world.

As far as reliability goes, you canÂt compare them to the reliable Electrolux vacuums from the USA. That was an all together separate company. That company still manufactures the Electrolux vacuum and floor care products in the USA and Canada under the name AERUS LLC.

Go to www.ElectroluxVacs.com it will explain the two companies there and Electrolux history.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux History - Brand Name Change - Original Electrolux USA