Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimman

Bluestar Rangetop Backguard - Anyone not using a backguard?

Marc Miller
11 years ago

I'm about to purchase a Bluestar 36" 6-burner rangetop. We plan to install the rangetop approx. 2-3" away from the back wall to allow large pots/pans on the back burners. To fill this area, we will have a granite strip installed between the rangetop and wall (part of the granite will go over the rangetop where the island trim was removed - approx. a 1" width). I've talked with the BS rep and he stated the unit can be used without a backguard (whether the island trim or any of the others).

Has anyone else installed their BS without a backguard? Any issues or recommendations? As ours will be away from the wall, it would look odd to have the island trim installed as well as not allowing larger pots to fit, thereby defeating the purpose of moving the unit away from the back wall!

Comments (10)

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

I would think with six burners on a rangetop, you could go without the backguard or island trim. On my 36' range, the island trim vents only the oven and griddle, which you have neither.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My 36" rangetop is a CC, not a BS, but I think the difference is moot to your question. I have no island trim or backguard. I did not make deeper my counters to pull the rangetop forward. No issues.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezy - nice set up!

Is your rangetop to pushed against the wall or do you have space between it and the wall? As well, how deep is your hood from the wall? I just realized that when we move the rangetop away from the wall 2-3", it will comes further away from the wall than the hood which is 24". Should not be too much of an issue and we'll have 1200 cfm of sucking power and we'll rarely have all burners going at once.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Swimman - regarding your question about the hood - there are a number of GWers who have pulled their range/rangetop from the wall by a few inches, and also had the hood pushed away from the wall by a few inches with filler.

I will link a couple threads about hoods with deeper counters. Though it makes it sound more complicated than other threads I've read on this topic. You could do a google search for more threads. Also, a photo that looks like an island hood hung from the ceiling a few inches from the wall - though it is a flat-bottomed hood and I much prefer canopy-style hoods.

Photo of hood (island hood?) pulled away from wall

Thread about vent hoods

Thread about rangetop and hood pulled out 3 inches

This post was edited by akchicago on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 8:44

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

akchicago - Thanks for the links. I have read through some of them trying to collect add'l information and have asked my builder to provide more info on their plan to bump out the hood to line up with the rangetop. Really looking forward to how this all comes together.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Swimman--Thanks! My rangetop is pushed back to the wall. My kitchen is long and narrow so I didn't have room to bump the counter run out to deeper than 24". I wish I did have the room as extra deep counters there would be very handy. My Rangecraft hood is 24" deep and just covers the front burners. Good luck with your set up!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"My 36" rangetop is a CC, not a BS, but I think the difference is moot to your question."

not moot at all.

The equipment carries a 'listing' by a certification lab.

In the USA think 'UL.'

In Canada there is 'Canada UL', ad likely others.

Europe has a pile of them.

They set the conditions for safe use of the equipment.
    for stoves they check outside temperatures for contact to flammable surfaces, clearances from burners to flammable surfaces (often above and beside for gas tops).

The conditions apply to ONLY the exact model in the listing.

Every code requires equipment to be 'used in accordance with its listing.'

Just because 'Brad XYZ' does not require a back-guard of non-flammable material does not mean another model (possibly with smaller burners) does not..

The requirements will (at least) be listed in the installation instructions.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 14:57

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Apologies, Brickeyee. I'm just a stupid housewife who knows nothing of all that technical info.

The OP wasn't asking if it was code to use the rangetop without a backguard. The OP wasn't asking if the unit was safe to use without a backguard. The OP specifically stated that he/she talked with the BS rep and he stated the unit can be used without a backguard (whether the island trim or any of the others). Therefore, I read the question as aesthetic or hands-on one. In that case, since my 6 burner CC rangetop without rear vent puts out even more heat than does the OP's 6 burner BS rangetop without rear vent, I thought my personal experience might be of value. I guess it wasn't.

• Peke
    11 years ago

Sure it is breezygirl! You are always helpful.

BS rep told me I had to use the island trim. I am going to call them back tomorrow to find out for sure. Why did they put it on there if we didn't have to use it?

Peke

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Regarding the island trim, if it's removed, there is about a 1" area at the back of the rangetop that is exposed. You would need to cover this area with your countertop material (non flammable). I'm still debating whether or not to use the island trim as some of the pics I have seen look good with the trim. I'm going to wait to get the unit and then decide after I have a first hand look.