Time for a new thread...

Here is a link to the first one..

luisa - congrats! You will love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Range Owners #2

Comments (150)

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft - I understand your concern and hopefully elisarose will post an update.

We have had very good response from American and the distributor here (ATL) with any questions/issues we have had. I would think they would help however they can.

I would also encourage you to call American directly and ask them any questions you might have. We did that when we had very little information from the retailer and it really helped a lot.

Good luck -

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks, plumorchard. I may call, but I also trust actual owner reports over "the company line". American does seem to be responsive, at least at the corporate level.

Question: what kind of warranty coverage did folks opt for? An extended warranty through the seller or through some other agency? Or did people not get one?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Well, cancel that question, I guess--or should I say rather that I called my credit card co. and we also have the double-warranty protection clause on our card. So I'd have 2 years on this. With more mechanical items (as opposed to those with heavy electronic involvement that can wear out, fry, etc.), it seems the problems crop up earlier, as in things aren't aligned right/installed right etc., and once you work out those issues, you're good to go.

I should ask: have people noticed any problems cropping up after several months that weren't there at the beginning? If so, have you addressed them with the warranty? Thanks.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

One more thing: please tell me that our stove won't end up looking like this in a year...?

Here is a link that might be useful: is this what they call patina?

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

AR Gas leak
    Luisa called Josh, Josh called AR, AR's Chris Thompson called Luisa. and... It's no longer a problem. They raised the regulator and the manifold is now welded. Any problems we are to call him directly at 818-897-0808.
    Our AR arrives the 25th. Cabinets are in, floors being finished, counter tops Monday, tile work and Bosch dishwasher Tuesday, the neat colored switches from Lutron came today, and the 36" Liebherr is still on the boat (sigh)

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

Eeek! Scary patina shot flyleft! I am ordering mine soon (project taking longer now that contractor has disappeared - fun!). Glad to hear AR is pretty responsive re problems. Excited for this range but still nervous about potential problems.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The picture with the "patina" is a commercial range. Hard to tell but could be scorching.

I would think the residential version would not do that at all. We got ours in Dec 07 and have no discoloration anywhere at all. Our tile back splash also has no marks from the range. It is very easy to clean the top - the ss portion. We use Method SS cleaner and it just wipes right up. So after 9 months it still looks great!

We haven't had problems show up at all. If they did, I have no concerns that they would not be handled appropriately by American.

oldjgw - thanks for the update! Sounds like progress. Glad Chris took care of you.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I'm getting ready! But what is Method SS? Almost time to add it to my arsenal!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

*long self-pitying sigh*...We're trying to figure out how to make an American part of our home but we are currently stuck on:

550 lbs?!!! That is one freakin' heavy stove!! We'd have to sister the joists under the freakin' house! Or is there something like 200 lbs of packing material included?

I really don't think we can do this, just because of the weight :(

Although when we research the consumer complaints against the various electronics-containing range manufacturers, they *all* center on the electronics breaking down and either jamming the door shut or starting the oven or broiler up unasked and almost burning down the house or exploding in the owners' faces. It's a crazy world in electronics-land.

What are we supposed to do?!

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry - Method Stainless Steel Cleaner - we got it at Target and I think I've also seen at Lowes (I think!)

flyleft - aren't you looking at a 30"? - the shipping wt listed online is 300 lbs. which I would assume includes crate, box, packing, etc. We have the 30" and didn't have to change anything to our floor/basement. I'm sure someone at American could tell you the actual wt. without all the shipping materials - maybe get all of the tech specs. If you aren't looking at 30" - oops! Hope it works out.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Hi plumorchard--yes, I was looking at the 30" at one particular place (acitydiscount--great sale, btw!), and I see it's listed mostly at 300-350 other places. I have an e-mail in to them to see why the shipping weight is 200 lbs heavier than any other lpace listed.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft -Here is a pix of our still unfinished area w/the range -

Here is a link that might be useful:

• massagerocks
    15 years ago

these may be dumb questions, but here goes:

I am trying to decide on a 30 inch range and have been researching them for some time. Seems like each time i find the "right one", I read something negative about it and the search begins anew. The American is the one range I keep coming back to.

1. If I order a range online ( I live in metro Detroit and closest distributor is somewhere in Ohio), how exactly does the range get into my house? Do the shippers bring it into the house? If not, how does one get it into the kitchen?
    Is it difficult to install and level?

2. If the range needs to be serviced, who would do this?

3. Many of the ranges now offer a warming drawers . Do any of you miss this feature?

TIA, i have been reading these forums forever and have learned so much from everyone sharing their experiences. It is an amazing thing, and honestly, its truly heartwarming. I stay up later to read these forums than i do to watch the Olympics!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

plum, thanks for the pic. I see the 30" between the range and the vent fan...guess we have to move our cabinet overhead. That's o.k. :) I heard back from the seller today and they're evidently including the crating materials, and they ship directly from the manufacturer...? The range itself they confirmed @350. Well, that was what they had to say.

massagerocks, I hear you--it's so frustrating! The American is one of the final two that hasn't disqualified itself yet. From what I understand about shipping, you get "liftgate" shipping to your driveway, then someone has to get it inside the house and installed. Unless you can arrange for "white glove" shipping which means delivery to the room of your choice with packing material removal. I'll let the other folks take the service question. I can say about the warming drawer that I don't anticipate missing it--it's a convenience, but I probably would use a second oven more than I would use a warming drawer. But quality is more important to me than features, so I want not to have to spend money 5 years from now when a "full-featured" range dies.

I can't think anymore...I'm beat after watching the Olympics and staying up researching!

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

massagerocks-when we had a previous range delivered it was removed from the truck to the garage by the delivery company. Since we knew it was coming that day and what time, I had the installer and a friend here to help get it inside. It wasn't too difficult and in our case the kitchen is right in from the garage. However, the driver did offer to help before he left.

A plumber can install (or some have done it themselves) and I think leveling the front legs can be a little tricky but not impossible. You just need an extra helper while you are adjusting the legs. The rear is on casters and that seemed a bit easier for them.

If you need service, there is a number in the manual to call. American will send someone to you.

I don't miss the warming drawer. The American oven does have a warm setting which we use at times. I would rather have the larger oven that the warming drawer that takes space away from that.

fly - another reason we moved our cabinet a bit is so hubby wouldn't hit his head on the vent hood!

I think our range was 350 w/the shipping materials. I had to do shipping estimates. I don't think it weighs 350 stand alone but I could be wrong.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Hey plum, I hear you on the hitting the head--DH is 6'4" and I think he'll appreciate it :) Just have to figure out what we'll do with that space instead.

We've pretty much decided to go with the American, since we can find it at a decent price only about 25% over what I wanted to spend as a maximum LOL...but that was before I realized we want NO electronics to break down. The other possibility was a DCS, but reading a thread on Apartment Therapy convinced me that we could be rolling the dice wrt service, vs. (what we see here of) American's sense of responsibility to customers after the sale. Looks like we'll go with Dvorson's, too--DH realized that if we'd been in the market for a stove when we visited SF two months ago, we drove *right* past them, since they're neighbors with Heath Ceramics in Sausalito, where we had a marvelous tour! Would have been fun to meet Josh in person--he sounds like a card :) So that's our decision, fwiw.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

We done gone and done it...put a deposit down on a 30", to be shipped when we are ready.

Hope it's the right choice...seems like it. I'm way too much of a Libra. :) Did anyone get the wok ring?

Josh at Dvorson's couldn't have been more helpful or patient. Hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

And one further question: I think I remember that the specs say that the minimum distance to a range hood is 30", but when I look at the pics on the website, the hoods look like they start about the same distance up the cabinets as ours does, which is only 25.5-26". If we didn't have to uninstall the hood, take out the cabinet above it, cut the cabinet, and reinstall the hood, it would make our lives *much* easier...does anyone have a hood installed @26"? I'll probably call American on Monday just to clarify wrt those pictures, but do you see what I mean? The hoods start maybe 6-8" above the bottom of the top cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pics, for quick reference

• alexrander
    15 years ago

I don't think it makes any difference as long as there is no wood on your lower hood. Most hoods are installed at 27 to 32 inches, but some are closer and some are more. Closer is generally better anyway (but there are so many other variables).

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Our hood is all stainless, alex -- I remember we installed it at what Zephyr said was the optimal distance, in their specs. It *is* just stainless, no wooden hood...maybe we'll try keeping it there and not ripping the kitchen up again and see if we can make that work. It would be SO much easier.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

flyleft - wooohooo! Congrats - I think you will be thrilled. We do have the wok ring and it is great - MY wok skills, not so much! but hey, it is fun practicing!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks, plum. I'm so excited--we haven't had a really well-functioning oven for about 3 years--it hasn't been dependable, and I've just ignored it and hoped I could repair it. I've learned now we can't and I'm throwing in the towel and getting a decent non-electronic range to teach DD how to cook. Yeah, that's it, -- it's for the children! :)

I do wish American had star burners. That would make my perfect oven. That size oven, stays-cool on the front more than the Bluestar, and star burners. I wonder if, if they ever change, our burners could be retrofitted with new ones? A girl can dream...but the lack of electronics and large oven that has such flexiblity wrt temperature, and nice hot broiler is enough for me to look forward to for now. :)

Re the wok: we found a site yesterday from which we might actually order a separate propane wok burner and keep it outside, of all things...so we may end up with a new wok cooker AND the American. A veritable *sea-change* in our culinary landscape. I'm so excited. Did I mention that? :)

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I'm finally here!! In the AR club at last - after a whole year. Doing the burn-off at this very moment. Maybe I can cook on it this weekend. Yikes! Be still my beating heart.
    Attached is a scratch & sniff photo. Enjoy!

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

Looks great!!!
    What kind of hood did you get?

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

The hood is a Prestige 1200 cfm insert. It has 4 baffles in a pyramid shape. Pull the hair off the top of your head. I am quite grateful for it right now - phew!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That is a *beautiful* kitchen. Truly gorgeous. Is that a walnut island counter? And the backsplash--so fascinating. Who made those tiles? And what are the shelves-stainless? Really *lovely* progression of color up the wall. Congratulations :)

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Thanks flyleft. The island is walnut from John Boos purchased from Butcher Block Co. 8' by 30" ($890). The tile is Heath in Sausalito Ca. (all seconds). We made the shelves from 2 x 6's rubbed with the color paint of the tiles. I think they should be sealed now. They are suspended on 2 rods from the wall so you don't see the mounting hardware & fitted with 2 halogen pucks each.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Ha! I was going to guess Heath, believe it or not. All the subtle little differences in color...*so* very beautiful. I spent a wonderful hour or so in the seconds room just this past June, and came away with enough rectangles (unfortunately none of the cool shapes) to do a better gas-heating-stove backer. I did our house numbers and doorbell holder out of them too. I *love* Heath :)

That island is just stunning. Folks don't get that from Boos often enough. Have you started using it? I'm not sure I could actually bring myself to cut on it.

And brilliant about the shelves! How are the rods affixed? Are the halogen pucks wired or battery operated? I'm a big DIYer and I see you are too. Nice to 'meet' you :)

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Haven't actually used it yet but it wont be long now! Previous kitchen had maple blocks for 30 years & we just used mineral oil. Now I can't decide between that & a product GW folk recommend from E-Bay which is a combo min. oil & bees wax.
    What do you mean "Folks don't get that from Boos often enough"?? I don't understand.
    The shelves: the steel rods are drilled perpendicular into the studs & stick out about 4 - 5 inches from the wall. The puck wiring comes out between the 2 bars. They are halogens & the transformer is under the sink. Then the tile went up.
    The shelf is a 2 x 6 (or use 2 3/4" boards together with edge tape) The 2 rods & wire go into pre-drilled holes in the back of the board & the pucks go into a hole in the bottom so they are flush. The last one on the far right has
    2 pucks in it.
    We left a 1" space between the wall & the back of the shelf so they look suspended.
    These pucks are beautiful bronze finish & can be suspended from a thinner board & allowed to show for a different look.
    In that case you might rout out 2 grooves & just rest the shelf on them.
    It was truly very simple, inexpensive & eliminated the need for brackets!

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the details on the shelves--brilliant work that ends up looking simple but takes an impressive amount of detail and forethought. So the steel rods are visible in that 1" space?

And what I meant was that while we see Boos maple pretty regularly, we don't see walnut all that often and it's so beautiful I wish it would appear more. We're using walnut ply over a freestanding piece in our master bedroom--really looking forward to that being done and up. I love a nice expanse of walnut. I have a feeling that with the walnut, the Heath etc. our aesthetics are pretty similar :)

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Well, we did the burn-off this weekend. The dealer said 20 - 40 minutes. Maybe to bake a pizza but certainly not to burn off these smells! We did an hour in the oven & another hour for the broiler on Sat. It still smelled awful so we repeated it on Sunday. Better, but still pretty smelly. You would think 4 hours would do the trick.
    Is this the norm for all of you American Rangers out there? Or do we have a problem here.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luisa - Wow! It looks absolutely fantastic! Just gorgeous.

I do remember doing our burn in much longer than the book said. It does eventually go away. Maybe call the support line just to be sure. Let us know.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Spoke to Chris from American Range (he apparently follows the thread here as he commented on how nice the stove looked in my new kitchen!) & he was extremely helpful. A tech called this afternoon & will be here tomorrow to check on stove. Now that is customer service!

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

that really looks outstanding luisa. best of luck & welcome to the club!
    john

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

I am going to start a new thread - American Range Owners #3. I haave just had the most incredible service experience ...

• alexrander
    15 years ago

luisa, you can start that here and carry it over when we reach the end. So what's the story?

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luisa - that is great news! I did read it on the #3 thread but responded here since this one isn't full yet. Let us know how you like it when you start cooking! Have fun!

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

i didn't have a problem with this page loading.
    lucky me : )

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine just took about 90 seconds to fully load. Best we can do is keep posting here for another 12 or so posts and then join #3.

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We might as well give up! Here is a link to the current #3 thread for new posts. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: American Range Owners #3

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

oh man plumorchard, your not throwing in the towel yet are ya? i wanna see your name on the last post for this thread. after all you started this one! : )
    john

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well....maybe between the two of us! Ha!
    By the way, this page does load without any hesitation on the new computer at home. It hasn't had a chance to become tainted yet!

And, to keep us on topic, my aunt who was babysitting my 10 year yesterday during fall break, loves using the range. She says her pigs in the blankets came out perfect! :) Have a great one -

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

pigs in a blanket, thats like one of my favorite. i never even thought of cranking out a try of those. does she make them from scratch? if so maybe you can get me the recipe?
    john

• plumorchard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think that she does but I will ask her about it and let you know! :)

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

i've been really busy and still haven't had a chance to whip up a batch. i head out to sea wed. maybe next time home.
    john

• Doris_J
    15 years ago

My husband and I are getting ready to purchase a 36" American Range. We have a friend who purchased from AJ Madison and she had a good experience, but I'd like to hear from others. Did you purchase from a local appliance store, an online outlet like AJ Madison, or can you purchase directly from American Range?

• johnnytugs1
    15 years ago

hi doris, i almost went thru aj madison, but they decided that the price they gave me was to low and then basically ignored my calls. see e-pinions search a.j. madison i live in jackson, n.j. and used dvorson's in california.all went well. josh is a stand-up guy.
    i have an AR 48" w/griddle.
    john
    917-842-1809

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Loving my 36" American Range. It does it all & very well! Boils the water before I can turn my back, simmers very low
    & bakes beautifully. I especially am enjoying the convection feature for extra browning & exceptionally even cooking. The oven is huge. I can't believe how much I can fit in on just one shelf. The stainless top is easy to clean too. it really is a beautiful piece of equipment. Thank you all for turning me on to it.

• jeff8407
    15 years ago

Ditto for Dvorson's. They have been excellent in my dealings in the past. I bought a Wolf range from them a decade ago. As well as a few other items for school snacks bars....

I would have purchased my American from them but the bay area was too far to drive and pick it up. (They had the lowest price I could find.) BTW--Universal Appliance in LA is good to deal with as well, but doesn't compete price-wise with Dvorson's.

• Doris_J
    15 years ago

It looks like we'll be buying from Dvorson's, as well. I emailed Josh on Sunday night and got pricing and info today. I'm going to call him tomorrow and order. I can't wait to have a stove again (kitchen remodel has gone on for 1 YEAR NOW, with no stove!).