Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmocat_gw

aga or other non ss range wanted

cosmocat
14 years ago

Greetings all~

First post on appliances...looking at ranges and cookptops and need to decide range size before the kitchen layout is finalized. Hoping for some input on other brands besides the Aga. Tried for some help with my kitchen layout, didn't get as much response as I'd hoped but did receive some help to review and tweek the plan. I do not like stainless steel. I love the look of the Aga and have read some of the pros and cons. My main concern would be what fits...however, the current promotion includes a set of cookware, not everything I would need, but that might be helpful. What are some other brands that I can compare. We are a family of 5 that cooks, not gourmet stuff as of yet...and if I cook a big dinner, it may only be once or twice a year. But I do host other parties where people bring food, and it would be nice to have a place to keep things warm or finishing cooking. I'm more of traditional look person, the house is an 80s tudor style home needing lots of TLC.

Comments (11)

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Lacanche! Oh, I much prefer the Lacanche to Aga. Of course, I cannot afford them, but I can live vicariously through you. The Lacanche ranges come in the most gorgeous colors, several styles, and sizes from small to huge. There are quite a number of threads about Lacanche on the Appliances Forum. Also, I'll link below to a few kitchens on the Finished Kitchens Blog:

Momto4kids' kitchen

Orchidluvr's Kitchen

Tearose's Kitchen

Lacanche Website

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You may live vicariously through me only if we win the lotto! The Aga Legacy I've looked at is about $5,000, more than DH would ever want to spend, so $10k plus is not doable. though those pics leave me dreaming!

• friedajune
    14 years ago

There are three brands of ranges I know of that come in colors, Bluestar, Viking and Bertazzoni. They each have their pluses and minuses. I keep hearing that the Bertazzoni ranges have small ovens. Anyway, the Bluestar has all the RAL colors (190) so you could really get whatever shade you want, and a hood to match too! I am a fan of open burners rather than sealed which I know is a whole other subject, but in any case, the Bluestar ranges have open burners, and some of the Viking ranges are open burner too.

Bluestar website colors

Bertazzoni colors

Viking website

• chris11895
    14 years ago

Hi,
    What size range are you looking for and what's your max price? Do you have room in your kitchen plan for a wall oven and/or warming drawer? If you like the look of the AGA you may also like the ones others have listed as well as the look of the Heartland, ILVE, and Fratelli Onofri:

ILVE
    Heartland
    Fratelli Onofri

Note that I really don't know a ton about these but have seen them and they have a non SS type of look as well.

• finehomebuilding
    14 years ago

Two more European ranges that come in multiple colors:

La Cornue
    Molteni

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses! I don't really want to spend much more than $5000. If I can be happy with something less, sign me up! I like the look of AGA. I've looked at the Jenn-Air double, where one oven is a smaller convection and one is a regular size. I like the option of having two ovens in a smaller space. I have space for 36 and could potentially do 48" but no larger. I can do a cooktop with convection micro and one oven. Or something like the AGA legacy 36".

• shannonplus2
    14 years ago

Cosmocat - It sounds like we need to veer off from what I originally responded to (you looking for a non-SS range), and discuss instead one of the most common questions and decisions on this forum--whether to have a range or cooktop/wall ovens instead. You should do a search on the forum on this topic, and read all the threads, as this is a major decision and you should be happy given the expenditure you'll make. But, in reading your OP, your mentions of family of 5, parties, people bringing food over that needs to be kept warm...those things would lead me to recommend you have a 36" cooktop with 2 wall ovens, or cooktop and 1 wall oven + micro/convection wall oven or Advantium-type oven. A 36" range just provides you with one oven, and it sounds to me like you are needing two. Furthermore, a 36" wide oven takes a long time to heat up. If you are cooking and keeping warm multiple dishes, that potentially need different temps, it would be better to have two ovens--whether two traditional wall ovens or 1 wall oven and a micro-convection or Advantium or something like that. Also the 36" separate cooktop would give you the number of burners you'd need for a family of 5 or for multiple dishes brought over by friends. A 36" cooktop is also great cause it gives some cooktop real estate if you are using, say 3 burners, and want to have a spot to set down two other pans somewhere even if they don't need heating.

Anyway, I think you need to do some more reading on the Gardenweb on this topic. Use the search box on this forum and the Kitchens Forum for topics like "30" or 36" range", "cooktop or range", and the like.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

The Aga Legacy 36" provides you with 5 gas burners (with max btus of 15,000 on the ultra-rapid burner); a multi-featured, programmable conventional oven; a programmable convection oven and a dedicated broiler. As you already know, it comes in several colors, is of a very traditional style and comes fairly close to meeting your price ceiling. Keep in mind, btw, that Aga's offer of free cookware is for purchase of an Aga cooker only, not an Aga Legacy. Again (as I posted in another recent Aga thread this week), when talking Aga, everyone should note that there are several different classes of machines with different levels of performance functions, styles, and, of course, price points. All Agas are just not the same and the differences are not just in size!

I'm also thinking, Cosmocat, if you are looking for a colored range that is of more traditional styling, you might want to consider looking at refurbished vintage ranges. IMO, they look beautiful and many of them are suited to satisfy cooks with large families. Below is a link to just one dealer of these restored vintage beauties but a Google search can give you several more.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antiques/Vintage Stove Vendor

• plumorchard
    14 years ago

American Range also offers colors.

• belle_phoebe
    14 years ago

I inherited a red 36" AGA Legacy in our new house. It is the only thing in the kitchen that is staying! For me, the look is great, but I was concerned about the size of the ovens, too (especially for cookie sheets, etc) so I am installing a single wall oven nearby. Is something like this an option for you?

• pcmaxon_aol_com
    13 years ago

A little late but have just move from the ranch and have a 36" all electric AGA Legacy for sale. Wonderful range and in mint condition. Three years old.