Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dazey1050_gw

Granite/Marble In Atlanta Area

dazey1050
15 years ago

I know there are some Atlantans around here and I was just wondering if anyone had recommendations on granite & marble fabricators. We're starting our countertop search in earnest this weekend to narrow down what we want. I've got one recommendation, but would like to talk to more than one fabricator. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

We just had our templating done yesterday so I can't speak yet to the final results, but we used Multistone (here's a link: Multistone Atlanta). They gave us a quote roughly 20% better than our contractor's fabricator for marble counters. So far they have been very responsive. I'll be posting updates on how our renovation is going and will try to note if any problems crop up. Incidentally, we were going to get our slabs from G&L, but they did not have any Calcatta Gold when we came back in to pick a slab. We found it at MSI in Austell.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I bought my stone at G&L/Alpharetta. They shipped in slabs for me (no charge) to look at from Jacksonville as the Aspen River in town was already on hold. It was exactly what I wanted.

My fabricator was Soma Stoneworks (770) 410-3475, Sasi Duggirala owner. They are around the corner from G&L/Alpharetta and came highly recommended to me by a friend. My final result was perfect. After templating, Soma met me and DH at G&L to lay templates out on the stone. We had final choice on which side of slab would be the island, etc.. Highly recommend them!

You were asking for fabricator references only, right? I can give you a list of other granite wholesalers too, if you need that as well.

• paulines
    15 years ago

I believe vrjames, a stone expert, is from down around there? Maybe he can offer you some advice.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

Yes, I amfrom Atlanta, and work for G&L.

I always recommend finding your fabricator first. See how they charge, because all of them charge differently.

Get a quote from them for your specific kitchen, have a drawing ready. Get the quote for a basic color Ubatuba, new venetian st cecilia. Then get a quote for a mid price material, like aspen River, crema bordeau, mozambique white, or Blue Pearl gt dark. Then at the same time get a quote for a high end material like Apollo, or Bamboo Yellow.

All of which can be seen on our site www.glmarble.com but at this point the color does not matter, the relative pricing of the 3 colors matter. get a quote for each color from at least 3 fabricators before you shop.

Once you have the general quotes, you can then compare the materials in showrooms, by asking which of these is the material you are looking at comparable to. Since suppliers in Atl do not discuss slab cost.

There are a lot of fabricators in Atl stocking material, as well, and the most competitive pricing will come from their stock.

Have you found a fabricator yet? Any one in the metro area from Mcdonough to Dalton will do your work. If you are having trouble let em know and I willlist a few.

Blessings

• slandsl
    15 years ago

Hi-
    I'm jumping in on this post as I'm about to do the same process in Atlanta. I'm a newbie so would appreciate any and all information. I would love the names of fabricators. I'm located near Sandy Springs if that helps.
    From pictures I like the Santa Cecilia Granite-is this a good choice? Is this considered low/mid/or high range?
    I looked at G&L's website but didn't see this granite listed.
    So the first step would be finding a fabricator-finding out if they have the Santa Cecilia in stock?
    Then finding someone who sells the Santa Cecila?
    I have a design of my new kitchen-do I need them to come out and measure as well or would the design suffice?
    Sorry for all the questions! Can you tell this is the first time I've done anything like this?!
    Thank you so much!

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

slandsl, I'm going to chime in here based on what I learned through my shopping experience.

St. Cecilia is a lower priced granite. It's pretty and popular. Basically anything with a consistent pattern is lower priced. Then come the stones with movement and the price goes up from there based on rarity and color. Don't go by what you see on the web sites alone for what's in stock as the wholesalers get in stones throughout the week and don't update their web sites that often. Also, G&L can ship stones in if they have it somewhere else. You may need to place some calls around town to see who has St. Cecilia and then you'll go take a look at the slabs.

The fabricator is the place that comes to your house and does the templates and measures, then cuts and installs the stone. You will visit them to see a sample of their work, edges, general pricing, etc. They will definitely come out to your home to measure/template. This is after you've selected them to be your fabricator. They will pick-up your slab from whomever you purchase it from.

Then there are the fabricators who also have slabs as vrjames stated. Of course, you can't pick a stone there and have someone else cut it, so you need to be happy with the work they do.

Here's a few other granite wholesalers (not fabricators) that I visited that may have what you want:

1. Stone Connection
    3045 Business Park Dr.
    Norcross, GA 30071
    770-662-0188
    www.stoneconnection.com
    (Large selection, well laid out to see the slabs)

2. Georgian Stone
    6695 E. Jimmy Carter Blvd
    Norcross, GA 30071
    770-825-0670
    (Medium sized selection, well laid out to see the slabs)

3. Compass Stone
    1420 White Circle
    Marietta, GA 30060
    770-794-0700
    www.compass-stone.com
    (Didn't visit because I'd just found my stone at G&L, but they were recommended to me)

4. AGM Imports Granite & Marble
    1280 Lakes Parkway, Ste 150
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
    678-376-7733
    www.agmimporters.com
    (Large selection, but not laid out well for viewing the slabs)

5. Exotic Granite and Marbe
    4871 Georgia Highway 85
    Forest Park, GA 30297
    (404) 209-9977
    www.exoticgranite.com
    (Didn't visit because of distance, but if they have a stone you want, maybe a consideration)

If larrylw see's this, he just went through this process and purchased a slab in Atlanta. He may be able to recommend a few other places too.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

St Cecilia is on our site as Gallo St Cecilia.
    Keep in mind there are dozens of quarries of St Cecilia in Brazil each with a unique appearance of Cecilia. We stock between 4 and 6 different types. As a basic material there are dozens of fabricators that stock it. Each one will vary.

As for fabricators, I am not at work and do not have #'s but I would recommend several.

Stone Professionals in Atlanta.... jill is fantastic. You will have no worries.

Atlanta Granite Depot.... whom Larry chose is a large shop and apparantly takes good care of its customers.

A Touch of Stone in Alpharetta is exceptional. Marylene does a LOT of high end work and will take care of everything.

Sasso at Soma in Alpharetta is a great guy, small shop so the serviceis very personalized.

Top South in Marietta is a larger shop with a great reputation as well.

In some cases you do not need to visit the fabricator, you can fax your drawing and get a ballpark estimate to start. Jill tho at Stone Professionals prefers to come visit you to see the job. Trust me you will love her.

Boys has listed all of the competition in Atl for you, so visit a slab yard ot two before you decide because There are literally hundreds of choices.

Blessings

• slandsl
    15 years ago

WOW-this is fantastic and so helpful. Thank you so much!
    Now I know where to go and what to do.
    I have printed this out and will get started end of next week.
    You both have been outrageously helpful!

Do I dare ask if you have any cabinet resources? :)

• dazey1050
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all! We have spoken with one fabricator, but wanted to get a better feel for the stones out there. We went out to Compass and also checked out G&L. vrjames -- love the selection at G&L.

DH is an architect, so he has a *vision* for the kitchen and I wanted to make sure that my ideas were the same as his. We've narrowed it down to a few stones we love (one marble and a couple of granites, although we prefer a brushed finish on the granite). Now we're going to see about getting quotes from a few fabricators.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I have used the following for a couple of vanity pieces, a top for a future kitchen island, and will be using them to fabricate some soapstone countertops when we get to that stage in the kitchen and have been very pleased w/ them. Ask for Lisa - she is really good to work with.

Stonehenge Marble & Granite
    www.stonehengegranite.com
    4766 Frontage Rd
    Forest Park, GA 30297
    (404) 361-0300

Someone mentioned them on an earlier GW thread and gave them a good review, although I don't rembember who.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

I am not sure about fabricators b/c we are not in Atlanta but nearby. I can highly recommend G&L Marble and Granite as THE source for granite. They have the most incredible selection imaginable.

They have supplied both our kitchens and would not consider anyone else.

• larrylwill
    15 years ago

I bought mine at Granite and Marble Warehouse. I went to Atlanta last week and Karen took me to about 5 granite warehouses and the fabricator followed us to check the layout so I wouldn't have to go back. I was from Alabama. Karen was a really big help. Its templated and should be installed next week.
    http://www.graniteandmarblewarehouse.com/

• larrylwill
    15 years ago

Since I posted this, last week I was informed that the web designer of their site has stolen the site. Their new site is www.graniteandmarblewarehouse.net

• julie92
    15 years ago

Try Slabco granite yard in Elberton, GA. They have any kind of slab you want to look at. You can google Slabco. Also, Elberton is the granite capital of the US. They whole town fabricates granite. I have several numbers if you need them. Slabco can also tell you the best ones to use! I live in SC, but many fabricators here go to Atlanta.

• philipp
    13 years ago

I live in Augusta Ga. and I had a company called MY GRANITE MAN to do my granite and they were awesome. I learned so much about granite, they took me to choose my stone, they went with me to pick out my faucets. The same Gentleman was with me every step of the way. And the final result was just amazing. They also work in Atlanta. The gentlemans name was Eddy Cress his # is 706-495-4243 if anyone is interested. They werent the cheapest, but with you every step of the way. The job looks 5 times better than the last Granite that was in my last house. I could'nt even see the seams. I highly recommend them.