Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamomof2

Comparisons of Brands-Lennox, Trane, Carrier, York, Bryant

carolinamomof2
17 years ago

Hello, I'm a newly single mom of two toddlers and I am feeling a little nervous about being pushed to get a new system for my house. The system is less than 7 years old (I've been in the house for 1 1/2 years-house was built in May 2000). It has a large folder of problems over the years. In fact, the previous owner has had it replaced piece by piece. The house is a two story with a large open area over the stairs. I live in South Carolina (Charleston to be exact) it is very humid and hot in summer and moderately cold most of the time in the winter (recently down to 20 for couple nights).

I have a estimate to replace the air handler and outside unit with a trane (4 ton, 13 seer) for $11,000. I have had heat working on and off for the past 2 days (4 times in 2 days, and they still can't figure it out), had the company out here, but today they told me that if it was working when they got here today, I would be charged another $95.00 fee (it works for an hour then stops and after I turn it off for about 1/2 or so, it heats when it is turned back on).

What is the general opinion on this type of treatment (especially knowning that they were being considered for a complete unit replacement of $11,000) and also what is the general opinion as to the large makers - Trane, Carrier, Heil, Lennox, Bryant, York. I am limited to funds and really am feeling pushed and just generally laughed at.

HELP!

Thanks!

CarolinaMomof2

Comments (21)

• shawnt
    17 years ago

Trane, Carrier and Lennox are the top brands. Carrier is the oldest and most affordable of the three and is the one I would choose of the brands you listed. Stay away from York. Too bad you didnt live near Chicago, I would install a furnace and AC for 4 to 5 thousand including equipment and labor. I would highly reccomend installing a duct mounted dehumidifier with your new system to help control the humidity situation. If your winters are only 20 outside, you could install a heat pump instead of a regular AC to save energy, but they are more costly and more maintenance and more problems. Something is definately wrong to have that many problems at 7 years, most likely improper installation or improper upkeep.

• bama_dude
    17 years ago

carolinamomof2,shawnt is correct,Trane and Carrier are top notch brands although I dont care much for the lenox.My climate is very similar to yours.I would get another company to take a look at your system if they dont find the problem and explain to them what has been happening.Always get at least 3 quotes to compare with compariable quality equipment like Trane and Carrier.I dont believe in adding a whole house dehumidifier ,if your system is sized correctly it will dehumidify your home in the summer.If the top brands are out of your budget get some quotes on Rheem or Ruud they have a good warranty.$11,000 is a high price unless there are some unforseen circumstances with replacing your system that would make the job very difficult.Does the quote include a new duct system?That would add to the cost.

• carolinamomof2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice. You guys are the BOMB!!! :) Bama Dude, the quote doesn't include a new duct system, just the replacement of the air handler, new pan, and new system outside. ShawnT, wish you did live closer...wanna vacation?? LOL

I do plan on getting numerous quotes. I have a call into another company already and my mother has a guy at her church that has an a/c company and he is going to check prices too.

One problems I forgot to mention.....Wednesday I started hearing a vibrating noise. This company says that they think that it is the compressor going bad. However, everyone is at a loss as to what is causing this noise. Outside, where the compressor is, is normal sounding. However when you get into my daughter's room, the walls are vibrating so bad that the pictures are about to fall off. They said that there "might" be something caught in the air pipes to the handler. Ya'll got any suggestions? The quote doesn't include checking those pipes, which would mean tearing out the wall, if we were to find which wall it was coming from. Also, changed filters Wednesday. I use 3 month filters but change them every 2 months but was a week late due to breaking a rib and couldn't reach them to change them. When I did Wednesday (in pain!!!) they were charcol black. By Friday, the new filters were already grey (they were pristine white when I put them in). The salesman was mystified. No signs of smoke anywhere. Any clues? Also, this problem hasn't been addressed either, they think that everything will go away with a new unit.

Thanks again.
    Carolinamomof2

• tigerdunes
    17 years ago

CarolinaMom

For a new high eff heat pump system, here are my rankings from the list of brands you provided.

1.Carrier/Bryant
    only because of the sophisticated Infinity/Evolution controls on their high end HP systems

2.Trane/Am Std

3.Lennox

4.York,Heil

A couple of questions.
    What size,model, brand is your existing system?

For a seven yr old system, I would want to know a great deal more about its problems and cost to repair before I invested in a new HVAC system. With that said though, you need a system that can effectively handle dehumidification for the brutal Charleston summers. Difficult to advise from long distance but if this was my decision, I would consider another HVAC company for an accurate diagnosis.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• airsome
    17 years ago

Trane (American Standard) was rated best by Consuer Reports a year or two ago, with Ruud (Rheem) a close second. Other companies are not far behind. But name brand is not the most important issue, because no matter the brand, a system is only as good as the company who installs it. Talk to as many of your friends and neighbors as you can. Check the BBB. Hire the right company. Don't go for the lowest bid, take one around the middle. A good company can put in a cheap system and give you much much more long term satisfaction than a bad company that installs "higher quality" equipment.
    That being said, I would definitely not be in any hurry to replace the system until you know for sure it needs to be replaced. Whatever is wrong should be able to be fixed for $1000 or less. Your system should have another 6 to 10 years left before it dies. And $11,000 is too much for a simple replacement. I would expect to pay around 6 or 7.

• airsome
    17 years ago

How a company treats you can be a significant indicator of their concern for your welfare, especially when you start adding up all the little things and they are all negative. One of our service techs went to a customer's house recently where they thought the heat exchanger in their furnace might be cracked and leaking carbon monoxide. Everyone was sick; they had headaches and other symptoms, and they had all gotten sick at the same time. We were the second company they called. They said the first company had confirmed their suspicions: their man said the exchanger was in fact cracked, and you could even hear it (a whooshing noise), and they needed a new furnace which would cost $1700. Our man checked the exchanger and found it was perfectly sound. He suggested they see a doctor, as he suspected they had the flu.
    Some companies care about their customers and their reputation. Others care about the size of their profit margin and the volume of their sales. And then there are those who work 16-hour days but don't know how to run a business, so despite thier best intentions they can't provide service when you need it and they go bankrupt and their warranty becomes useless. These guys are often physically exhausted and unkempt. After you have talked to several companies and they have been out to your house, you will begin to see who is who. But you still have to watch out for the sly one. That's why you have to do your homework.

• bama_dude
    17 years ago

Well said Airsome.

• davefr
    17 years ago

I find it hard to believe that a 7 year old system needs to be completely replaced to the tune of $11K.

I'd find a competent tech that can diagnose your current system. Once you know the problem(s) and cost of repair then you can make an intelligent repair vs replace decision.

It seems like a lot of contractors are too quick to advocate the replacement option.

• krantzcool
    16 years ago

I OWN AN AC COMPANY IN COLUMBIA AND I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT $11000 IS TO MUCH FOR A HEATING AND AC SYSTEM.IF YOUR UNIT IS ONLY 7 OR 8 YEARS OLD I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND REPLACING IT. WHEN A COMPANY CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH A UNIT THEY ALWAYS TRY TO SELL A NEW UNIT. IT IS THE EASY WAY OUT. IF YOUR UNIT IS WORKING SOMETIMES AND NOT OTHERS IT IS A TOUGH PROBLEM TO FIX. IF IT IS NOT BROKE YOU CANNOT FIX IT. IF THE FREON LINES IS MAKING A LOT OF NOISE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE BLOWER MOTOR IS OVERHEATING AND TURNING OFF WHICH IS CAUSING THE PRESSURES TO BUILD UP AND MAKE NOISES. THE NEXT TIME IT MAKES THE NOISE CHECK AND SEE IF AIR IS COMING OUT OF THE VENTS. IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE THE MOTOR IS BAD AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. BUT THEY CAN CHECK THE AMPS AND SEE IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM. ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION ON AC SYSTEMS . WE HAVE BEEN PUTTING IN CARRIER AND BRYANT SYSTEMS FOR 25 YEARS AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN VERY GOOD. MAKE SURE YOU WHEN YOU REPLACE IT WITH R-410A SYSTEMS (PURON).GOOD LUCK

• rangershockey_rocketmail_com
    13 years ago

I have an old MayFlower Oil Burner(Forced hot air)QuietHeet furnace which is probably 40+ years old. It recently has been starting hard, followed by re-setting the stack control switch. After two nozzles, two tank filters and a transformer, it is still working intermittently. Also a fluttering like the fuel is not atomizing completely. Repairmen all claim that parts are no longer made and new unit necessary. I had seen a remanufactured pump in a catalog. If indeed a new unit(Gas) is necessary which one is better (Bryant or York?). Is $4,000.00 a fair price with no new ductwork only retro fitting existing? Appreciate any advice.

• arconti_aol_com
    12 years ago

My house is 2,000 sq.ft. force hot air. I am looking to install Central AC. No duct installation is needed. The house is 2 stories. No ducts in the attic. The house is on a slab. The ducts are in the ceiling on the first floor and upstair in the floor. Furnace is 5 years old. I got a quote for Bryant model 113ANA-024000 with CNPV2417ATA Evaporator Coil $4,487.00 (parts and labor). Another option is Bryant Heat Pump System Model 215BNA024000 with a Bryant Evaporator Coil at $5,926. What do you think? Is the estimate for both systems fair or too much? And what system do you feel is the way to go? Should I look into other brands like Carrier.

• marlene_trevino_cbsradio_com
    12 years ago

My repair man tells me that I need a new condensor. I have Trane currently my home warranty is replacing the condensor with a Carrier. Should I insist that they do a Trane? Is the condensor the whole outside unit or just a motor within it?

• brysamm_cox_net
    12 years ago

Live in RI where summers can get very humid and hot. Moving to new house and putting in new a/c. Installer only deals with Lennox. Have been looking at reviews and am now very leery to install Lennox. Have a Trane now that has given us no problems at all over last 8 years. Does anyone have any advice on installing Lenox?

• RJm088
    11 years ago

At one time Trane was the best ! They were bought out by greedy Ingersol Rand ! They cut out all quality, moved work to Mexico and scab plants, and in Fort Smith laid off over have the plant, just to bring them back making 5.00 less a hour ! Horrible place to work ! Worst AC in quality and price by far !

• fintry
    10 years ago

My house was built in July 2002; and has 2 systems (2 furnace and 2 A/C). The past October 2012, I was told that the blower is heating and there is a small crack on the heat exchanger. The recommendation was to change the blower motor for $575 or replace furnace for $3,900 on Goodman or replace furnace and A/C with 4 ton 14 seers 410A for $8,500 on Trane. The old system is R22. I was told that with R22, if it needs freon, it will cost tons of money. Can someone please give me some advise which way to go? Is the price of $8,500 for 4 ton, 14 seers 410A on Trane reasonable? Health wise, is the small crack on the heating exchange not dangerous? I would appreciate comments/advise. Thank you.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

You will get better responses by starting your own topic instead of responding to a thread started 6 years ago.

When you do post, include the model numbers of the equipment in the quotes. Also include the size of your house and exactly what problems you are experiencing with the current furnace and AC.

• fintry
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comment mike_home. I appreciate it.

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Fintry,

I got your email, but I could not reply since you have chosen not to reveal your email address. You also don't have your email address enabled in the My page area so I am not able to contact you other than posting on this thread.

To start a new posting you first have to log in. Then scroll to the bottom of the HVAC forum page. You will see a box to add a title and a posting. You can also check off if you want all the responses emailed to you. You may have to change the email setting in the My Page area for this feature to work properly.

• bigred12
    9 years ago

Hi,

I am having a central air system installed in my house and I was trying to decide between Carrier, Lennox Signature Series and Rheem Prestige. Any input on which is the better of these three?

Thanks

• mike_home
    9 years ago

These are all good brands. However within those brands there are big ranges of models. You can't compare the low end builder's model with a variable speed 2-stage equipment.

If you have an existing furnace, then I suggest trying to match it with the same brand and equipment. It is also very important to get a proper size and a good installation. Without these the brand does not matter.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz