Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelady1dog2girls

What do you do to protect wood floors from dog water bowls, etc.?

onelady1dog2girls
14 years ago

Hello everyone:

We are planning on installing wood floors throughout our house (except for bathrooms) in an upcoming remodel. There are two main locations in our house where water damage with a wood floor are a concern. One is the front door where snow and water are tramped into our home daily. The other is the patio door (in the kitchen) where the dog goes out every day and either drags in water or snow or drips water from his water bowl. What do people do to protect their wood floors? Are there attractive waterproof liners/throws? I don't want to break up the flow by introducing tile in these areas, but I don't want to end up replacing my wood floors either. Also, if I am spending 4 dollars a square foot on wood floors, I don't want to spend more than that in these areas for tile options. Stumped and anxious to hear your solutions. Thank you in advance for your time.

Comments (11)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

This is a very good question since I never thought about it and right now I have left over tiles on my carpet that I put the water bowls on in my home office and I am not sure what I am going to do when I have hardwood flooring. I will see what others have to say.

I guess I may have to find a 100% cotton rug to put over the floor in the area that I will put the tiles down on the floor? If I go with Brazilian Cherry Floors, that will leave a square on the floor.

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lynn. Just out of curiosity did you lay rectified porcelain? I thought I would also share a blog site you might enjoy- the designer just loves brazilian cherry. www.designwithchristine.com

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

onelady1dog2girls, The tile is not rectified porcelain but Porcelain made to look like real Travertine called Magica Akoya Bone. I used a Mushroom SprectaLock Grout in a Mushroom stain that I love the look of. But I am finding out that for my kitchen floors, I really do want to find a Porcelain Tile that is rectified since I want a skinnier grout line since grout is difficult to clean even if it is an Epoxy type of grout I used I am finding out.

Let me look at this blog site you are sharing. Thank you.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing the site. I am glad Christie also feels what I felt that the Brazilian Cherry tied in the different woods in my home and I guess that is why I like it despite it being photosensitive.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Hi. The occasional water spill is not a problem with hardwood floors. Remember that wood floors have been used for hundreds of years in all types of climates, most notably the harsh Northern and Midwestern winters; snow & sleet not withstanding. Take normal precautions you'd take with your carpets. Clean up spills as soon as possible. Do not allow standing water, etc. For your dog bowls, a nice rug under the bowls will prevent them from slipping and scratching the floor, as well as help absorb the occasional sloshing. As for snow, the salt, sand, and other abrasives tracked in are of more concern than the water. I would definitely have a really good rubber mat or something to protect the floor at the entrances, more to protect the finish that the wood it self. If the design allows, it might be good to leave a "foyer" of tile or marmoleum to allow for wet boots, etc. And if mom or the girls favor high heels, leave them there too. High heel shoes is one of a wood floors worst enemies. Those little devils and really mark up all but the hardest woods. If your other kid is a large dog, keep those nails trimmed.

Otherwise, wood is pretty carefree. Have fun!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have large dogs and wood floors.
    At one point my DH condsidered changing them all to
    tile but I love the wood floors. I also love my dogs.
    I keep telling myself.
    The wood floor will be here 20-30 years from now. My dogs
    won't. I put up with the mild wear because I
    adore my boxers.

One thing to do is have the floors touched up every
    year. Just one coat of sealant or polish. (Not sure
    what my guy uses) This is cheaper in the long run then
    having the floors done every 6 or 7 years. It also keep
    them looking nice.

A little water on the floor won't ruin them. I think
    if it were flooded with water for more than a few hours
    maybe there could be damage.
    My dogs are fairly neat eaters. I use absorbant rugs from
    Smith and Fosters dog catalog under their plates.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i'd put tile or vinyl in front of the doorways myself... if not that, a good mat outside the door AND inside.

for dog dish sloshes... I've had to consider that myself and figured I'd get an old cookie sheet / jellyroll pan at goodwill (if I didn't have one that needed to stop being used for cooking anyway) - then I'd clean it, prime it and spray paint it to blend in with the floor and put their dishes on that.

I've ended up deciding that it was too much to worry about and decided to put vinyl down in kitchen/laundry anyway. i might still do the pan thing tho - just to keep the dishes/mess contained. i'm gonna be figuring in a doggie 'bar' somewhere in the area for them.

• boxers
    14 years ago

Its a good question for anyone. Reality is you should have walk off mats or rugs for every entrance into your house. When people complain of the finish 'wearing' its just that they seem a reduction in shine in traffic areas. Having some sort of runner in place prevents the sand from wearing down your finish on your floors.

• Angie Holmes
    3 years ago

Hi there! I am currently having engineered hardwoods installed in my house including my kitchen. My Golden Retriever is a sloppy drinker and drips water not only around her bowl, but on the floor as she’s walking away. I have been researching different options to protect my new wood floors and here’s a few things I’ve learned/will try:

1) get a silicone mat to put under the dog bowls that will catch drips; 2) put an absorbent rug, possibly one with waterproof backing on the floor with the silicone mat on top of that; 3) get an elevated dog water bowl as apparently the angle at which your dog drinks has something to do with less/more spillage/dripping; 4) try a larger, deeper bowl for the water and don’t fill it as high. Hope this helps!!

• millworkman
    3 years ago

I am sure 12 years later all of these options have been thought of.