Non Slip Knitted Slippers

enjoyingspring

I am knitting slippers for Xmas gifts. Was wondering what you would put at the sole of the slipper to make them "non slip". Knitted slippers can be dangerous on hardwood floors, I don't want to cause any accidents.

Thanks for your help.

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

I found the answer.

Instructions:
Lay the socks flat on your work surface so that the bottom side is up. Now, simply use the puffy fabric paint to make dots, lines, or other shapes on the bottom of the sock. This will transform the ordinary socks into socks with a non-skid bottom.

Depending on how thick the paint is applied, the designs may take several hours to dry! Once the bottoms are dry, you can decorate the top of the sock if you want. Wear and enjoy.

or check out video below

Here is a link that might be useful: non-slip socks

Save    
Vickey__MN

I found puffy paint to wear off rather easy, here is what we do for our felted slippers, and they become non-slip PLUS waterproof on the bottom:

We wrap ours (the parts we dont' want sprayed)in cheap plastic bag, then spray then with plasti-dip (we buy the spray rather than the paint on kind, works better)..lightly a few times. This works great for a few reason's. Lightly spraying leaves a texture on the bottom, aiding in slip-proof, and the plasti-dip is rubber, also making non-slip.

We get the plasti-dip at Home Depot. I've only gotten it in black, but I figure it's on the bottom of a slipper, so who cares. They do sell other colors I guess, just on-line. Ace Hardware is suppose to carry also. One can does about 3-4 pairs of slippers depending on how many layers you put on, and how big the slippers are. DO IN WELL VENTILATED AREA!!

Vickey-MN

Save    
jeaninwa

oh. my. gosh.

I've been looking for a pair of those slipper socks with the nonskid stripes or dots on the bottom. Couldn't find em without a too big pricetag. I want them, not for slippers, but to make a non skid camera holder for the front of the car! OMG! PUFFY PAINT! DUHHHHHHHH!!!! I'd never heard of plasti dip. I'll have to check that out too.

Save    
vala55

I wore non slip slippers on stairs one time and never again. I was going down the stairs the non slip worked but the top was so stretchy which made me go head first. I caught myself just in time to keep from breaking my neck. Around the house they may be fine, but for me I want something more solid to wear or just go barefoot which I can't do anymore.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Household Habits and Customs to Borrow From Other Countries
Discover why salt may be the perfect house-warming gift, how to clean rugs in snow and why you should invest in a pair of ‘toilet slippers’
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: The Joy of Fresh Sheets
Make your bed a place of comfort and relaxation with good-quality linens, ample pillows and other pleasing accoutrements
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Decorate With Intention: Let Your House Help You De-Stress
Break free of automatic TV time and learn how to really unwind and recharge with these easy ideas that don't cost a dime
Full Story