looking for an old fashioned pencil box

sheilajoyce_gw

I thought I would try to buy our 1st grade grandson a pencil box like I bought every September in the 1950s. It was a rigid plastic box about 7 inches long and 2 inches wide, and the top slid off for several pencils inside. The top was a ruler with a pencil sharpener attached. I thought they were such cool pencil boxes, but all I see today are very large plastic boxes and zippered pouches. Have they quit making the kind I would like to buy?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Here is a new vintage one on Ebay. The seller has 7 available.

Here the same seller has 2 of them. They come in red and yellow. The seller has 9 available.

Note, both items have several 'watchers' so they could go fast.

Sue

Save    
hounds_x_two

I don't know where you could find one.
However, most of the schools around here are very specific about items on their school supply lists- even exact size of pencil boxes.

Save    
Jodi_SoCal

Boy, those bring back some memories!

Save    
pammyfay

1981 is "vintage"?
Oy. That mean's I'm vintage plus!
I'm crawling back under the blanket now.

Save    
redcurls

Probably wouldn't be allowed...I see a razor blade!!!!
(Just kidding....I think....!)

Save    
JoAnn_Fla

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot what they were. I was thinking about the hard plastic boxes they sell now. They are about 5" wide and 7" long and the top flips open.

I'd get the one on ebay for sure.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I would definitely check to see if that type of pencil sharpener would be allowed it does contain a sharp blade and as strict as they have become it could cause a problem if they wanted to make it one.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

At these prices plus shipping, he can do without them.

Save    
Georgysmom

I thought it was really neat. $5.99 plus $2.00 shipping, I sent one to my son's step son who is going into 1st grade.
thanks for the link chemocurl.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Color Glams Up the Old-Fashioned Secretary
Before you write off a vintage secretary desk as ho-hum, give it a colorful new note
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Outfit Your Home in Fab Fashion Designer Accents
You don their clothes to look chic. Now your home can have its turn, with decor from some of the world's greatest fashion houses
Full Story
Outdoor Accessories Raised Beds Lift Any Garden
From good old-fashioned wood garden boxes to modern metal troughs, raised beds can make any landscape space look great
Full Story
We specialize in house painting in Loudoun and Fairfax counties, both exterior and interior. As exceptional house... Read More
With over 30 years of experience in general contracting, Tin Cup Enterprises is a family owned and operated... Read More