pork cottage roll

clairdo2

what exactly is a pork cottage roll? Is it cured and do you bake like a roast...does it taste different then a pork roast?

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

If it's what I think it is, you cut slices fry them and make a sandwich.
Linda C

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paprikash

This is one of our most favorite and really easy suppers. It is a smoked pork shoulder. I've seen two brands at our supermarket -- the best IMO is Five Star. The package will say to either roast it or simmer it in water for an hour or so BUT the best way is to simmer it, covered, in just enough water to cover for about an hour and a half -- you want a fork to be able to pierce the meat easily and don't overdo the water. Then take it out of the water and keep it warm (I put it in another little roaster with a little of the water over it) and leave the burner on warm. Keep the water you simmered the pork shoulder in -- it's like liquid gold -- very smokey and tasty. Add some cut up potatoes, wedges of cabbage and carrots cooked to the doneness you like and you have a great meal. I like to use the meat in a sandwich on rye bread, mash the potatoes a little with my fork and salt and butter the heck out of it. My DH tries to avoid the carbs in bread when he is enjoying the carbs in potatoes (he's diabetic) so he just enjoys it sliced - no sandwich. The leftover water makes a great soup the next day, too, with additional veggies and leftover cottage ham.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Farm Style Suits a Vineyard's Rolling Hills
Reclaimed barn wood, a restored windmill and orchard trees make this cottage in Sonoma Valley an idyllic weekend getaway
Full Story
Guesthouses Houzz Tour: A Warm Washington Barn Rolls Out the Welcome Mat
With plenty of space for visiting family and community groups too, this barn has a new role as a modern rustic guesthouse
Full Story
Furniture Why Your Next Sofa Should Be a Roll-Arm
They work great with any style and take bold color, pattern and even slipcovers exceptionally well
Full Story
Fine Landscapes specialize in custom pools & spas, outdoor kitchens, water features, stonework & paving surfaces,... Read More
We're here to serve you no matter how large or small your project needs are. From major renovations to quick home... Read More